Will Dyna mid controls work on a FXR? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Will Dyna mid controls work on a FXR?

Yeah, that's my question. Will Dyna mid controls work on a FXR? I want to go back to mids on my FXR4 and nice Dyna sets are cheap and easy to find on Craigslist. FXR sets are around but often are worn or not real clean.
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Camillo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any ideas? I want also put Dyna mid controls on my FXR.
Don Camillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Smitty33 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm sure you'll get an answer from someone more knowledgable than me but I don't think so.In Talking to the guy at the HD dealership last night about putting an early Dyna exhaust on my FXR he said even though the engine and tranny mounts may be the same the foot controls are completely different and the pipes wouldn't clear.So just judging by that I'd have to think they wouldn't work.
With so many guys switching over to forward controls I'd think a decent set of mid's would be fairly easy to find though.
Mark
Smitty33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

NC_diesel_20 wants to know Dino or Syn?
no they will not fit i just bouht a cheap set the other day from a guy who asserued me they would and needless to say i'm out a little money but the brake side are mounted wrong and the hole for the bolts are to far apart heavy mods ya im sure you could get them to work but i doubt it good luck i'm trying to find mids myself
Old 12-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The left side will fit. Not sure about the right. I think some parts will. Not sure if the mounting base or the arm portion is different between the dyna and fxr right side mid controls.

As for exhausts. Most dyna and FXR exhausts are not easily interchanged. The biggest issue is the length of the primary drive is different on the two bikes. It puts the transmission in different locations. The FXR trans is located more forward than the dyna.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
jak
IronButt

jak wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a complete set of mids. This includes the shaft, access cover, linkage, everthing to convert back. Make an offer. BTW off a 92 FXR had 23,000 at the time of take off. Thanks
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Throttle_Jockey wants to know Dino or Syn?
The bolt holes on the left side Dyna mounts aren't as wide as an FXR mount, but with a deburring bit you ca stretch the hole's to fit. The right side Dyna mounts bolt's to the side of the frame. The right side FXR bolt's to the top of the frame's center crossmember. The Dyna brake arm also has a smaller mounting shaft diameter.

Hope some of this help's -T

Throttle_Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Jbco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey View Post
The bolt holes on the left side Dyna mounts aren't as wide as an FXR mount, but with a deburring bit you ca stretch the hole's to fit. The right side Dyna mounts bolt's to the side of the frame. The right side FXR bolt's to the top of the frame's center crossmember. The Dyna brake arm also has a smaller mounting shaft diameter.

Hope some of this help's -T
When you get the left side mounted like T_J described you can make a U bracket that has two horizontal holes for the footpeg with nuts welded on the inside to tighten the Dyna footpeg support. Then you can drill two vertical holes matching the ones on the frame and slide the U bracket over the frame support. This will allow the use of the Dyna set-up.

Joe
Jbco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
thread started 12-18-2008
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Throttle_Jockey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_diesel_20 View Post
no they will not fit i just bouht a cheap set the other day from a guy who asserued me they would and needless to say i'm out a little money but the brake side are mounted wrong and the hole for the bolts are to far apart heavy mods ya im sure you could get them to work but i doubt it good luck i'm trying to find mids myself
Thread resurrected from the dead here.

But I didn't notice it either.

Throttle_Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement