FXRT and FXRD : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

coryhebert wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXRT and FXRD

Hi all. I'm Cory. I build custom bikes on the side, and also ride an '06 Superglide.

I'm new to FXR's, and am wondering what's the difference between the FXRT and FXRD?

Thanks.
coryhebert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

hardluk1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am sure some will fill in what i miss here. FxrT is a shovelhead and the fxrD is a evo with the rubber mount and just over all upgrades to the frame for rubber mounting. Both still run chain final drive but the D model was the lastone.
hardluk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I am sure some will fill in what i miss here. FxrT is a shovelhead and the fxrD is a evo with the rubber mount and just over all upgrades to the frame for rubber mounting. Both still run chain final drive but the D model was the lastone.
I had a black '92 FXRT....Evo, fixed fairing, radio/CD, belt drive. Great bike.

I don't know the differences between my FXRT and a FXRD.

trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Man, sorry but you're not even in the right county.

1-All FXRs were Shovels in '82 and '83.
2-All FXRs went to EVO in '84.
3-FXRD was '86 only.
4-FXRT was '83 (I think) to '92.
5-All FXRs are rubber-mount, that's what the 'R' means.
6-All went to belt drive in '85 (I think) or '86. '84 had enclosed chain.
7-FXRD had FL style dual exhaust and (I think) a bigger saddle.

And Cory,... most importantly for custom builders to remember...
8-Anyone that adulterates an FXRT or an FXRD goes on my 'Vaporize as Soon as I Get My Death Ray Working' list.
...Just so you know.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

cat5752 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
joe
You think right, 85 was the first year for belt drive.
cat5752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

ClassicRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi all. I'm Cory. I build custom bikes on the side, and also ride an '06 Superglide. I'm new to FXR's, and am wondering what's the difference between the FXRT and FXRD? Thanks.

Coryhebert~~

First of all Cory, welcome to the site, hopefully you will enjoy your experience here and welcome to the "world" of FXR's....perhaps one of HD's finest machines, at least I believe so.....anyway....you asked a great question above.....I would welcome you to take a peek at this link which will provide some historical perspective on the "HISTORY Of The FXR".

When you have some time perhaps you will enjoy reading, all you need to do is simply place your curser over the attached "http:// address / link" below, click your curser, view and read:

"FXR HISTORY"
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/fx...r-history.html

Specifically the following will address your question in terms of the specific differences between an FXRT and a FXRDG and FXRD:

In 1981,
and in time for the 1982 model year, H-D announced what was known at the time as the Superglide II. The letters were FXR, with the
F = the 80-cid engine and 5 speed gear box from the Big Twins:
X = representing the one-piece fuel tank, lighter front suspension, and wheel and small headlight from the Sportster thus the XL front end.
R = for the new frame "AND" a version of the isolation-mounting system PIONEERED by the FLT. Thus the rubber engine mounts.

What H-D discovered was that the FXR frame was FIVE TIMES stiffer in torsion, which is where it counts, than the old FX/FL frame had been. Which made for better cornering and ultimately a much better ride than can be offered even within the Dyna family that is produced today.....hmmmm very interesting.....

Even after introducing the new model as the Superglide II, they dropped the name and went to initials.

Thus in 1982,
The BEGINNING OF THE FXR ERA BEGINGS WITH TWO MODELS:
1) 1982 FXR Super Glide II
2) 1982 FXRS Super Glide II
The FXR Super Glide II came with black paint, restrained trim, laced-up wheels, and tube tires.
The FXRS Super Glide II came with contrasting paint panels on the sides of the tank, spoke cast wheels, tubeless tires, a small sissy bar at the rear of the seat, and highway pegs for resting one's feet while leaning back against the passenger who is leaning back against the bar.

The only engine choice was the low-compression 80 used that year because gas quality had declined. The 80 was fitted with the oil-control package: extra drain lines, better valve guides, and better seals. Of course this was known as the Shovelhead motor.

In 1983,
1) 1983 FXR Super Glide II
2) 1983 FXRS Super Glide II
3) 1983 FXRT Sport Glide
the model line reverted to names, with the FXR and FXRS being the Low Glide. MOST OF US would think the "S" stood for sport....but not to be the case the "S" actually stood for "Low Glide" go figure......Next we find the Moto Company creating a third model, lettered the FXRT which sold 1,458 units. The "T" stood for Touring except there was already the FLT for Touring, so the FXRT was named the Sport Glide and the S was just the extra trim and cast wheels. The FXRT also came with conventional plastic saddlebags meaning boxes outboard and below the passenger seat. It all seems very confusing, let's just say the MOTO company was trying to build bikes but logic wasn't always available....and besides they were trying to keep the FLT and FLHT's as their "TOURING LINE" and didn't want to cross reference the two lines....

H-D thought they would have a winner...something people could tour in without the "bigness" of the FLT....but the "market" (you and I said) the FXRT looked too much like the "imports", especially the fairing and people just didn't find it appealing.

Thus the shovel engine saw it's days last from late in the year of 1981 to 1983 where the emergence of the EVO began.....in 1984 FOR the FXR framed bike.

In 1984,
1984 FXR Low Glide
1984 FXRT Sport Glide
1984 FXRDG Disc Glide
1984 FXRP Pursuit Glide: Police Version of FXRT
The FXRDG launched originally mid-year for $8,199 with a total of 853 being built. "DG" which stood for "Disc Glide" which was a "limited edition" with an alloy disc, rather than spoked rear wheel, and a tank emblem that said: "Genuine Harley-Davidson". The “Disc” Name Came From the aluminum "disc-Type" rear wheel, also came with a “laced” front wheel

........Of course The advent of the EVOLUTION MOTOR "EVO" occurred this year [1984] as well.

In 1985,
the FXR line got the belt final drive. The models were:
1985 FXRS Low Glide
1985 FXRS "Special"
1985 FXRC Low Glide Custom
1985 FXRD Grand Touring Edition
1985 FXRT Sport Glide
1985 FXRP Pursuit Glide: Police Version of FXRT
FXRT now considered the "Tourer" which got a second front disc brake, a larger passenger seat and a higher backrest.

In 1986,
1986 FXR Super Glide
1986 FXRS Low Rider
1986 FXRS Low Rider Sport Edition
1986 FXRS "Liberty Edition"
1986 FXRC Low Glide Custom
1986 FXRT Sport Glide
1986 FXRD Grand Touring Edition
1986 FXRP Pursuit Glide: Police Version Of FXRT

FXR, now named Super Glide
FXRS called the Low Rider with options was renamed the “Low Rider" because the FX-Based Model of that name had been canceled at the end of 1985 Model Year.
FXRS Sport Edition, with taller suspension and dual front disc brakes
FXRC Low Glide Custom
HD Continues To Work Towards The Completion of This Previous Offering From 1985 With The Conclusion Of 1250 Units However These Units Featured A Different Paint Scheme ie: Red. These Units Were Also Identified By Their Numerical Order With A Inscribed Plate At The Location Of The Handlebars. It should be noted that HD never placed this particular model in any of it's sales/brochure literature.
FXRT plain touring model
FXRD, the "D" stood for "Dresser" according to Rit Booth, with a sound system, top box (fairing) and dual exhausts...another attempt at the "baby" FLH market. These bikes were fitted with such luxuries as footboards, for both rider and passenger, a wider and more plush seat, trunk with backrest for the passenger, chrome rails for the saddlebags, two-into-one exhaust, special paint and graphics, more gauges, and a standard AM/FM/Cassette stereo with CB monitor with controls for the system on the handlebars. The FXRD was a "great" "sport-touring" bike, with all the handling, braking ability, ground clearance, & long-legged grace of the FXRT, but with MORE COMFORT & ELEGANCE! Unfortunately it wasn't a great seller. It was priced at $9,474 which at the time was only $100.00 more than a 1986 FLHT. These FXRD's continued sitting on the show room floors until they were heavily discounted and finally sold, in some cases years later. The FXRD was canceled at the end of 1986.

The FXRT Sport Glide which began in 1983 as a shovel engine, continued as a Evo powered “touring version” of the FXR plateform until the end of 1992 where it ended production.

Hopefully this addresses your questions.....if you have more I hope you will ask there are many here willing to help.

Regards,

"Classic"
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

gwritesel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

3-FXRD was '86 only.

8-Anyone that adulterates an FXRT or an FXRD goes on my 'Vaporize as Soon as I Get My Death Ray Working' list.
...Just so you know.

joe
My 83 FXRT has an enclosed chain also,and has dual front disc brakes
Geo.

Last edited by gwritesel; 12-03-2008 at 01:51 AM.
gwritesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

JoeHall wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fxrd

I have a 1986 FXRD and love it. Though I have done a few mods to make it more enjoyable, e.g. an S&S 107" engine, and a SuperTrapp 2 into 1 exhaust.
Joe H
JoeHall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

1M$man wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

3-FXRD was '86 only.

...Just so you know.

joe

Vaporize!....

Truer words never said.

As far as the accuracy of the rest of your post, it looks pretty good.

BTW, a 1983 FXRT 5 speed shovel in black and gold bought in June of '82 was my first Harley.
1M$man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
A brand spankin' new 82 FXRS was the 1st HD I ever rode. They're still what I ride.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

98 FLHX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

3-FXRD was '86 only.

8-Anyone that adulterates an FXRT or an FXRD goes on my 'Vaporize as Soon as I Get My Death Ray Working' list. ...Just so you know.

joe
That's just outstanding.....

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

10:1 JE Pistons
Heads by GMR Performance
Ness Big Sucker
Mikuni HSR 42
V-Thunder 3040 Cam
Dyna 2000 Ignition
Thunderheader

Old 11-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Y'all're makin' me blush.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ethylbob wants to know Dino or Syn?
The rd was an upgrade from the rt. As far as i know they had dual touring exhaust, different windshield, saddlebag trim and different paint options.
Ethylbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

sliderfxrt wants to know Dino or Syn?
the fxrt was and will always be the premier harley model to incorporate touring and sport in one bike. as any rt owners already know ..you can hang around s-turns with your knees scraping the ground or you can tour from sun up till sun down long haul. this bike does it all. I've been an fxrt enthusiast for 25 years eventhough other bikes have come and gone, my rt is the one that will always have its place in my garage.
sliderfxrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliderfxrt View Post
the fxrt was and will always be the premier harley model to incorporate touring and sport in one bike. as any rt owners already know ..you can hang around s-turns with your knees scraping the ground or you can tour from sun up till sun down long haul. this bike does it all. I've been an fxrt enthusiast for 25 years eventhough other bikes have come and gone, my rt is the one that will always have its place in my garage.
My kind of guy.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.