1984 Fxrt : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
I ain't right

TERMINKNOTTER wants to know Dino or Syn?
1984 Fxrt

I'm looking at picking up a 1984 FXRT. Any comments, suggestions on what to check, prices would be welcomed. I've seen the bike a few times. Appears to be in good shape, 30K mikes. Am going to go check her out and ride sometime this week.

Thanks
TERMINKNOTTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
If the front end is still stock expect that it needs work and better yet it needs to be replaced with a later model 39mm front end, IMO.

84 is first year EVO. Not sure what clutch the 84 has but it is a tappered shaft on the tranny and not considered the best design. Idealy it has never been molested but being that old it likely has. Good signs IMO are stock exhaust with crossover and stock carb. This is often times a sign that nobody has messed with it much.

In 84 the FXRT should have an enclosed chain system. It is easy to spot, there will be rubber boots over the chain. It may have been converted to open chain or belt at some point.

Whats it come with? Are the bag there and open and close good? Tour pack? Fairing and brackets? Lowers?

In used condition in need of repair, $4000-$4500 at best. In good ridable, unmolested, everything works, looks good, $4500-$6000. In mint conditions, great paint, basically all stock with no issues at all, $6000-up to whatever you will pay.

Just my opinion and if you need some pointers on what to look for I would be happy to send you my phone number.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
I ain't right

Springer, thanks send me a PM or email and I'll give you a shout in a day or two.

Tom
Old 10-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
So, what's the latest?

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
I ain't right

The latest is : I told the guy what I might consider paying and he's receptive to the prliminary offer. I wanted to make arrangments to come ride it. He changed out the ignition switch and the bike has either a crossed wire or charging problem. So I left it at that. He called me a week later saying he really needed to move the bike to pay some bills. I said soon as I can come ride her and check her out I was sure we could come to terms. He's supposed to get thebike to his mechanic this week. So hopefully in a week or so I can get out and take her for a ride and check her out good.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
You have to promise that you won't strip it down and make an FXRS out of it. 'RTs should stay 'RTs.

If you do, the penalty is that I get all the take-off stuff. And you have to ship it to me on your dime.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM

Last edited by Homesick; 04-25-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: pilot error
Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
I ain't right

I promise it will stay as an FXRT if I purchase it.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

hardluk1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Terminotter if that fall through keep a eye on the Iwanna . There is a 86 fxr in there for 6500 now ,if not sold and i think a 07 roak king at a good price.. They are in the asheville area.
hardluk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

1M$man wants to know Dino or Syn?
I paid a big premium for mine which i actually consider a bargain since the owner addressed virtually ALL the short comings of the RT.
107 engine, 6 gallon tank, rivera pro clutch... the list goes on.

The 35mm front fork actually does extremely well with a rigid fork brace. It just looks ridiculous...spindly. You can remedy this at a salvage shop.
Or for 279 get a billet front end from ultima on ebay. they will fit into any sporster ot FXR 39mm trees. cheep. i am getting the CCE trees, pricey but nicer.

Stripping an FXRT is a bannable offense!

cycle shack pipes and an S&S super E carb with a thunder jet and a K&N filter.
1M$man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

blackjackcustms wants to know Dino or Syn?
1M$man, it sounds like you bought Pilgrims bike. I bought a few RT parts from him and he was totally cool about every aspect of ther deal. Congrats on what seems like one really nice RT. I just completed my conversion to a 1991 FXRS-CONV, and have around 1k miles on it so far. I'm still kinda shaking the bugs out of it, and have'nt been out of town yet. I'll post some pics, maybe this weekend. It is alot to look at! Lotsa high performance parts, and black and orange paint. It's just got a 'lil 103" (3 3/4 x 4 5/8) for now, but once it's a bit more sussed out, I have a 139" monster STD motor going in!!!
blackjackcustms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

roadturkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
hi, i was just wondering if you guys know anything about lower farings on fxrt's. mine is an '84. when i first bought the bike my intention was to chop it, but now i think that adding to it is the way to achieve the look i want. i have seen these lower farings on a couple of bikes on line. i'm wondering if they were stock, after market, borrowed from another model or custom made. any help is appreciated.
roadturkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadturkey View Post
hi, i was just wondering if you guys know anything about lower farings on fxrt's. mine is an '84. when i first bought the bike my intention was to chop it, but now i think that adding to it is the way to achieve the look i want. i have seen these lower farings on a couple of bikes on line. i'm wondering if they were stock, after market, borrowed from another model or custom made. any help is appreciated.
They are stock. Often a prized posession and typically sell in good condition for $400+, in exceltent condition over $600 and in beatup broken condition $150+. If you one them bad enough, they can be had.

Here is a picture of my set....

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

roadturkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
cool, thanks for the info, they are now on my long term wish list!
roadturkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

A guy was talking about making forms and producing FXRT lowers. He's on an FXRT group in Yahoo Groups.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Headwinddon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadturkey View Post
I have an '84 FXRT that I bought new and also bought, as accessories, the lowers you're talking about. I still have the bike, now with 57K on it. I've never had to do anything to the bike except change the oil and plugs. Wonderful bike.
Headwinddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.