Fattest tire in fxr? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
You have a great bike, i would keep it the way it is. Those bikes will be like the Vincent Black Widow or some other collectable in 10-20 years. They are the best handling HDs made.

If you want to custom something, do it from scratch or try a *** bike.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
wkd
Seasoned Rider

wkd wants to know Dino or Syn?
180/200 in mine

I installed a 180 on a 5.5 inch rim in my 89' FXR. It took some heating and bending at the upper struts to make an 8 inch gap and a change in the swingarm width. I could have gone for a 200 had I swapped the belt for a chain but I didn't want the noise and maintenance of a chain. I've had this setup for over a year now and bike rides and handles perfectly. I have some photos in the gallery if you'd like to see what it looks like.

1989 FXR
1998 Sportster
1999 Fatboy
2008 Custom Softail
wkd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
FNG :)

make72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Very, very, very good looking fxr.
make72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

make72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Does normal offset sprocket fit in fxr?
And how off is max .500 .810 or what?
Im planning 200-18 tire for my fxr.
make72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

FXRfanatic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've built several wide tire bikes including an FXR. The largest tire you can fit into a stock frame without butchering it is a 150 ( depending on the manufacturer ). This is possible using a narrow belt or switching to a chain. You will also need to make adjustments to the rear sprocket in terms of alignment. Anything wider creates problems with the fender clearances.
FXRfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Lakerat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Jireh Cycles part#96-849 Offset Fat Tire Kit $149.95 will allow for 150/80-16 with 1.500" wide belt. Some trimming will need to be done on the lower belt guard and adjustments to axle spacers especially if you run 11" shocks to center the tire in the fender. Had to do a little trimming on the caliper mount to allow it to slide without binding.

92 FXLR
97 Ultra (RIP)
98 95th Anniversary Ultra
PGR
Lakerat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

plugeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
i dont get it. a 140 is plenty wide & still turns
go up over 160 & it costs a fortune, all sorts of issues, & wont turn for crap. is the OP just wanting the look thats been shoved down our throats by marketing? why do what EVERYONE else is????
FXR is meant to ride & out-perform ALL big-twin h-ds. why fight it?
i love when people think its a sportster, or are simply ignorant.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Premium Member

1M$man wants to know Dino or Syn?
With out cutting and welding plus using a chain final drive: a 160mm 16 inch.

I have a 150mm Avon Venom on my FXRT now.Plenty of room for a 160mm. We did need a dished rear sprocket and offset inner primary sprocket. wOULD YOU CALL THAT "the drive sprocket."?

Anything but the ridiculous look of a 130mm in the back on a bagger. ...ridiculous! A 160mm is just about right!

Using a Tsubaki Sigma 530 o ring chain. Very strong...10,600lbs breaking strength.

Plug eye, getting a wider rear tire to handle properly seems to be a function of:
1) Rear rim width vs rear tire width: 5.5 INCH WIDTH (for a 180mm)FOR THE REAR RIM WIDTH, UP to 6.25 inches rim width for a 200mm tire
2) Rear tire width vs FRONT tire width. A 120 or 130mupm front mates well with a 180 to a 200 rear.
WORSE POSSIBLE IS A 21INCH X90MM FRONT AND A 300+ IN THE REAR. Down right dangerous!

A 19 or 18 inch front wheel with a 100 to a 110mm TIRE width should carry 150mm to a 170mm rear. Use tables to mate tires with rims. Realize that things like tire profile and rim matching make big differences in how the bike lays over in a turn.
My best handling FXR runs a Pro One custom Frame, 30 degree rake, 17inch x130mm 70 profile front on a 3.5 inch wide 17incher by PMFR.
Rear is a 17X 190x50 series. Very low profile tires... tip top of the heap stickiness and carcass stiffness available in the market. Hi tech Ohlins custom suspension keeps the power on the ground!

Last edited by 1M$man; 11-20-2009 at 08:18 PM.
1M$man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

feguy1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am planning to install a 160 rear tire on my 88 fxr. I have it mostly figured out. Does anyone know where to find a 1" or 3/4" belt for this application?
feguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

DEADSLED wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 86 has/had a 180 with a chain. Too close for comfort. 160 goes on easy. I do, however only run chains; belts are for trousers.

Acording too this guy you can squeeze a 200 in with a offsett front sproket. You have to space out the frame under the seat and change fenders. But the stock swingarm should be ok...

http://www.cas4.com/baker/offset-sprocket-09.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12643_1234181942009_1453007454_646226_3233814_n.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	56520  
DEADSLED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ltank wants to know Dino or Syn?
I contacted Kenny Boyce about the FXR wid swing arm. He did not remember the details on widening the frame. What all come inthe kit?
Ltank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltank View Post
I contacted Kenny Boyce about the FXR wid swing arm. He did not remember the details on widening the frame. What all come inthe kit?
Did you notice the last post was 2.5 years ago? JIC

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Did you notice the last post was 2.5 years ago? JIC

joe
these FNG are a hoot
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

FXRS Carrera wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unca Mike View Post
Depending on the tire, the biggest you can get with stock swingarm is a 150. Anything bigger and the tire hits the belt cover if not the fender. To go bigger you'd have to go to a different swingarm or a chain drive or both. Check out Chopper Guys in Vallejo, California. They make a lot of cool FXR parts like swingarms for bigger tires. Not cheap but good stuff. They have a website.

Good Luck
You suggested a 150 but my 1990 FXRS will only handle a 140 and there only can pass a kunt hair its that close. What year FXR can handle a 150 without a mod job?
FXRS Carrera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRS Carrera View Post
You suggested a 150 but my 1990 FXRS will only handle a 140 and there only can pass a kunt hair its that close. What year FXR can handle a 150 without a mod job?
I've never tried it as I'm happy with the 130, but 140's the widest I've ever read that'll fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
these FNG are a hoot
It's kind of heart-warming raising them and watching them blossom, ain't it?

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.