FXR's Depreciating in value : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

ruger44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXR's Depreciating in value

Whats up with the price on bikes?
I was looking at ebay today and found a like NEW 92 FXRS (Convertible) with only 7400 miles. Item #220238698319 if you wish to check it out
Now this Surprises me opening bid of 7000 bucks with one day remaing and NO BIDS.
Is it that most folks would rather go with style over ride quality or is it a buyers market. What do you guys think
Is this a fair price?

Last edited by ruger44; 05-29-2008 at 06:40 PM.
ruger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

nvsteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a 1990 FXRS Conv and wish I still had it. I'm guessing the price is in the ballpark. Bags look a bit shaky but not bad.
There was a bit of an issue with connecting and disconnecting the bags but you learn to deal with it.
If I lived closer I'd be all over it.
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ClassicRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
rugar44,

are you saying you are a "buyer" for an FXR?

If so, and time is on your side....you would really want either a 93' or 94' or 1999 FXR2, 1999 FXR3 or even a 2000 FXR4 if you like the "silver" styled engine.

If you are a buyer for a 1999 FXR2 or 1999 FXR3 you probably will need to spend some where in the fincinity of $12,000.00 and you will find one with 10,000 or less miles....I would think for an 93' or 94' FXR you would be seeing a price around $9,000 or so.

Regards,

"ClassicRider"
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Sandhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 84 that I bought new.The FXR's were always the black sheep of the Harley line,but none of the other models could catch it,so it didnt really matter to those who owned them.
For a while they shot up in price due to the Dyna line using a modular tranny and engine.The FXR frames were widely sought after for use on racing bikes for drag racing.
Mine still runs like a raped ape,still looks good,and not for sale at any price.Im getting ready to tear it down and re do it sometime this summer hopefully.
I wouldnt worry about loosing value,they are ment to be ridden not as an investment.
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

ClassicRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sandhog.....

hands you the "mic" keep preaching......
I own a 1999 FXR2 arresting red....never to be sold...."smiles" the history of the FXR is fascinating....and a bike that if people only knew they wouldn't be buying "dyna's" oh and I use to own a 2003 dyna Low Rider....and I SOLD IT!!!!!

It's an indescribable experience!!!!!!!!

take a peek:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22663.0

Regards,

"ClassicRider"
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

ruger44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ClassicRider
I have a 93 FXRS-SP I just restored from the frame up I wouldn't even think of selling it.
I just think they are one of the best bikes harley ever built and that this was a real bargin of a price. I don't think a lot of folks know what we ride when they see them (there loss).

ROT bound
ruger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Being a Shovelhead guy .... don't forget about the 1982-1983 FXR's. My personal favorite, the 1983 FXRT. http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/fx...d-rebuild.html

I am also building a 1989 FXR that is getting a Twin Cam drive train.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Oh and I almost forgot ... I'll never sell them.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey Ruger

If you've ever bid on Ebay you know the opening bid means almost nothing. All the action is in the last few hours or minutes of the auction. Still, even if $7k were the final price of the bike (which it won't be) the bike is 16 years old and cost around $11k new. Lo miles or not, that's some pretty minimal depreciation. I'll bet the bike sells for around $8500-$9000.
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Camillo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post

I am also building a 1989 FXR that is getting a Twin Cam drive train.

Where are the pictures?
Don Camillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

It is an 84 FXRP with the police equipment removed.It has dual front discs,longer forks,5800 rev limiter from the factory.Ive installed Andrews cam,lighter push rods,Mikuni carb,had the heads done and SuperTrapp 2/1 stainless steel exhaust system.
The bike is faster than my 06 Glide with doherty air cleaner and vance and hines pipes.
Im thinking about re-dooing the bike and was glad to see the photos of the other FXR's out there.I was thinking of doing it in complete black out.
I have seen the Harley Remanfactured engine program and would like the engine blacked out,but hate to loose the parts and work I have done on the engine.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If they're losing value on the open market, IMO, it's because as time goes on, fewer and fewer people will know how good they are/were.

Most folks will only see their advancing age, and their (mostly) Evo motors (also old). Heck, most dealers I've been in don't know what they are, themselves.

It takes a bit of a special HD enthusiast to appreciate their capabilities. I surf Ebay sometimes just to see what's out there and FXR's are the only HD I regularly look at.

And as others have said, I'll never sell mine.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Camillo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
It is an 84 FXRP ...The bike is faster than my 06 Glide with doherty air cleaner and vance and hines pipes.
I have 1993 FXRS and 2007 FXDWG. Also hope* the Evo will be quicker - new harley davidson bikes has lost "something". Don`t know what but the Evo engine looks better than fat head TC 96.

* because bothe bike looks like this:
FXRS

FXDWG
Don Camillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

garyad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger44 View Post
Now this Surprises me opening bid of 7000 bucks with one day remaing and NO BIDS.

Simple, money is tight. The economy is slow.
garyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

I have the 2006 Wide Glide that is quite a bit more comfortable due to the forward controls and long legs.
The FXRS will totally STOMP the wide glide as far as speed goes.It will also out handle it all to hell.
LOL Most Harley's grind the footpegs,FXR's grind the handgrips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement