1993 Low Rider Sport - refreshment : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Camillo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile 1993 Low Rider Sport - refreshment

I was looking for "project" FXR for about a year. Last month I bought one on salvage auction. Bike seems to be in good shape, just a little dirty. Speedeometer shows 38k miles.

Now bike is in my garage. It has dead battery, broken front brakes line, broken spedeometer , some paint damages, broken shift rod, turn signals, mirrors, etc. Everything was covered with thick layer of dust - bike has to spend lots of time siting somewhere "under the cloud".

Bike has some modifications and accesories: rear suspension is very low - progressiv suspension shocks about 10-11" long (looks great but I`m affraid it will be impossible to ride it), corbin seat and sissy bar (too high - it is not a chopper - will be replaced with mini version), 21" front wheel (rust as hell ), fat boy rear wheel (now is polished ), hypercharger pro (will be replaced with S&S carb and air cleaner or mikuni 42), drag pipes (probably hurts performance but looks and sounds so sweet ), forward controls nad other kuryakin stuff.

The battery was dead , front brake was out of order, front suspension was leaking oil and air. I spend one day removing broken parts, trying to clean and start the bike. finnalny it started. I was expecting that oil will come out of breather but not - check valve must be in good condition
I tie shift rod with wire and make some test ride. Bike accelerates nice, but due to lack of brakes I didn`t test all gears .

Fuel tank was the most scratches part - but lucky for me the scratches were not deep so I painted it with new "clear" paint (few hours and 8$ ) - I left all the dents - they will be fixed when I will paint whole bike. Front suspension is disasembeld, fork lowers are polished, and all seals will be replaced. Belt guard will be chromed again - it was broken, together with rear sprocket cover.

I want to use this bike as my daily ride and touring bike. Wide glide and XL are going to be sold.
Don Camillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Last week I disassembled front end. Frame was polished (just to remove scratches and dirt).

Fork seals were replaced together with dust seals. Fork lowers, rear whell and all aluminium parts were polished.

funny thing - I checked VIN number on H-D site and it shows that my bike is not Low Rider Sport but SUPER GLIDE CONVERTIBLE - FXRS CONV.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ClassicRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don,

How goes your progress?

Is it in a FXRS CONV or a FXRS-SP?

Keep us updated on your progress....these are always fun and interesting to learn from

Regards,

"ClassicRider"
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Crewcutsamson wants to know Dino or Syn?
hey there don. i myself have a 93 FXRS-CONV. great riding bike. you won't be disappointed when you get it done. i'm interested to see how it comes out. hey, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for? i got taken for $9500 from a dealer and it wasn't in near as good a shape as it is now. oh well, we live and we learn. good luck, ride safe
Crewcutsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Crewcutsamson wants to know Dino or Syn?
oh yeah, as a matter of fact your's is the same color mine was. pretty neat
Crewcutsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Mine's also a '93, black. Except that it's an FXRT now. And is becoming white.

An '82 FXR was my firt big twin and I'm still on 'em; so I appreciate your choice. I also respect and admire you for the hardship that I assume you're under, trying to find, repair, and maintain an old American motorcycle that was never a big seller anyway, in Poland.

Please keep us updated.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

The bike is FXRS Conv. It has saddlebags mounting points, double disc brakes in front, air suspension (probably I will get rid of this last wekend I was on a motorcycle "fly market" and saw almost new sporster front end ).

Total price of this bike (with shippingto Europe) was about 8000$ but the exchange rate was a little higher than now ($ was NEVER so cheap). I think it is great price for almost not damaged bike (well it also not new but who cares ).

Fuel tank is ready

Last week in my ignorance I removed top engine mount and painted it wrinkle
black. Looks nice - better than on picture

but there is a problem - when I put rear wheel (it was polished) back on the bike it looks like this:

Left side is almost touching fender when right side is 1-2" from fender. I think engine needs alignment but how to do it? I have the manual (clymer) but it seems to be very complicatedAnd maybe there is no need of alignment? It was very easy to put the stabilizer bask in the bracket...

Today I removed dead horn (**** , this thing was so hided that I spend 2 hours with wiring diaghram looking for it ). New horn was attached to on the right side of transsmision. I also replaced the air line from electrical switch to hanndlebar (still need to weld this small pipe to handle bar - will post picture - easier than checking in dictionary ). Today I finished work and the bike looks like this.

Tommorow I will install new brake line and try to do something with electrical conections around handlebar, repair spedeometer and tacho bracket and maybe, maybe do some test rides (the weather over here is so nice and I dont have any bike ready to ride both are in the same shape
Old 06-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Wheel offset .... The offset of the wheel is different from a Softail to an FXR. The solid mag is from a Softail and may require different spacing. The FXR's never had the rear tire in the center of the fender. It was always offset to the left side but maybe not as much as yours is now considering the rim change.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
Wheel offset .... The offset of the wheel is different from a Softail to an FXR. The solid mag is from a Softail and may require different spacing. The FXR's never had the rear tire in the center of the fender. It was always offset to the left side but maybe not as much as yours is now considering the rim change.
Thanks Springer So I understand that a liitle asymmetry is nothing wrong?
When I bought the bike and bring it home I took short trip (1/4 mile ) and the bike was handling good (and the wheel was not touching fender - would notice that). Maybe I`m just a litte over-cautious. I`m not sure about the wheel I just bought bike with this wheels . I said it is fatboy because for me it looks like from fatboy - many FXR has solid rear wheel (stock on FXLR?). Tommorow I will check everything again. New spacers are no problem for me but I dont think somebody just replace the wheel and did not get the right spacers (but everything is possible).
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

I just double checked part number to confirm and it looks like all 86-99 Read 16" wheels are direct fit. So it looks like you should be fine with the way it is mounted, no special spacers.

I will get a pic of my wheel in the fender and post it for you to see the offset in the fender.

207-621-8089
Old 06-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
Here is a picture of my 83 FXRT. Different wheel because of the enclosed chain drive but same offset. Compare it to the edges of the fender.
Thx again Springer!
I think everything is OK with my rear wheel (ufff ). The tire is a 140 - wider than stock one (will also replace it with oem style - someday ).

I was hoping to start the bike this week but unlucky the new brake line is too short . Also need to order mirrors and turn signals. Without the brakes , mirrors and turn signals bike will not pass the inspection (I wonder also about drag pipes ).
Old 06-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Today I instaled fuel tank, welded handlebar (it holds air even with 50 psi inside), instaled half of the brake line.

Speedo & tach bracket (and battery holder) 2 minuts before paiting

I finished the work at 22 PM so last picture is a little dark

The red thing between pipes is a horn

tommorow I will instal rear turn signals and maybe do a little search for parts (derby cover, front turn signalls and mirrors).
Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Talking Finito

On last friday I almost finished the bike. I took a short ride to nearest biker party - without rear turn signals and spedeometer but everything else was in order (or almost in order).

All my friends were imresed - lots of guys has started riding Harleys in the last 2 years but only a few got an Evo (usuallly a Sportser). As I saw my FXR was the olny one - there were sobe dynas, Softails, Elektra but only one FXR (yes I`m proud ). Bike accelerates good, with 2 up and some camping stuff it easy cruises @ 3000-3500 RPM (about 80 mph). In fifth gear bike accelerates to 5000 RPM - il will be something about 110 mph (or more wil check it someday ). I hope cruising with 3.5 k RPM is not too much for old Evo...

There are still some strange noises from front end (crunching - maybe a disc breake ). Due to lowered rear suspension bike handles not very good. Maybe the frame is better than on Dyna (I had `01 Super Glide) but on Sportser (I had also `06 1200 custom) I feel much more comfortable in the turns.

Now the questions - if I will put on it 11.5" shocks will it make the ride any better or it is just waste of money and I should get stock 13" shock?? Now I have something around 10" rear shock (measured with shock on the bike). Low suspension looks great and on straight road bike handless great (and is very comfortable - I was affraid that my back will hurt - rear shock are hard as rock).

On monday I put the new spedeometer on the bike. Spedo and tacho bracket was straight (stock the instruments are almost at 90*) and the spedeometer cable was @very strange angle. It lasted 16 miles Yesterday I bought new cable (form Fiat 125p ), fixed the bracket and painted it.

Today I finished all the mayor repairs. All I need to do is just replace brake pads, and get rid of this strange sound. I also need to locate air leak from front suspension Is there some cheap way to convert air suspension in to classic fork? I was thinking about removing all "air
" crap (together with handlebar - it is comfortable but looks terrible) put some spacers in to fork tube (toocompress the spring). Or maybe I should buy new springs? What about damper rod?

I ordered new derby cover - this one is crached and I dont like "live to ride" crap (still needs timiming cover, and gas tank cap - I`m tying to buy on ebay sportser tank with stock gas tank cap )

I ordered also Mikuni HSR 42 total kit. Old carburator (probably a little worn out - it has 15 years and almost 40 k miles) will be sold together with Hypercharger. This damn thing cause that I cant reach breake pedal. And new air filter is smaller so it will not hide the most beautyfull thing on this bike - the engine. I also ordered the fork brace.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Looks Great !!! .... keep up the good work !

207-621-8089
Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

ruger44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don Camillo
I lowerer the rear a couple of inches on my FXRS with a set of works shocks and it does make the ride stiffer it is not all that bad but it can jolt you pretty good on some bumps. The extra length of the rear shocks helps smooth out the ride. But the lowered rear look does look cool so I guess I will stay with the shorter rear shocks and try to dodge the big ones. I guess it depends a lot on where you ride, in Louisiana our roads suck, I ride in other states and very seldom notice the difference in ride quality.
Ride safe
ruger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement