V-Twin Forum banner

1993 Low Rider Sport - refreshment

12K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  beardo 
#1 ·
I was looking for "project" FXR for about a year. Last month I bought one on salvage auction. Bike seems to be in good shape, just a little dirty. Speedeometer shows 38k miles.

Now bike is in my garage. It has dead battery, broken front brakes line, broken spedeometer :mad:, some paint damages, broken shift rod, turn signals, mirrors, etc. Everything was covered with thick layer of dust - bike has to spend lots of time siting somewhere "under the cloud".

Bike has some modifications and accesories: rear suspension is very low - progressiv suspension shocks about 10-11" long (looks great but I`m affraid it will be impossible to ride it), corbin seat and sissy bar (too high - it is not a chopper - will be replaced with mini version), 21" front wheel (rust as hell :mad:), fat boy rear wheel (now is polished :)), hypercharger pro (will be replaced with S&S carb and air cleaner or mikuni 42), drag pipes (probably hurts performance but looks and sounds so sweet :) ), forward controls nad other kuryakin stuff.

The battery was dead , front brake was out of order, front suspension was leaking oil and air. I spend one day removing broken parts, trying to clean and start the bike. finnalny it started. I was expecting that oil will come out of breather but not - check valve must be in good condition :)
I tie shift rod with wire and make some test ride. Bike accelerates nice, but due to lack of brakes I didn`t test all gears :).

Fuel tank was the most scratches part - but lucky for me the scratches were not deep so I painted it with new "clear" paint (few hours and 8$ :)) - I left all the dents - they will be fixed when I will paint whole bike. Front suspension is disasembeld, fork lowers are polished, and all seals will be replaced. Belt guard will be chromed again - it was broken, together with rear sprocket cover.

I want to use this bike as my daily ride and touring bike. Wide glide and XL are going to be sold.

See less See more
#30 · (Edited)
Don, I ride an 89 FXRS-SP. I had the front end replaced a few years ago because of the leaks. Got rid of the anti-dive electronics as well as all of the air ride stuff. Installed new down tubes because wrench said the stock air ones were worn, causing the leaks. Didn't notice anything different at all in how it handled. But the LowRider front end made it sit a little lower so the kickstand causes the bike to sit a little too upright. Need to either bend the existing kickstand or get a shorter one? Now, if I could just figure out why it won't start sometimes, I'd be set.

oops! I'm new to this forum. I guess I should have read all of the posts, huh? Most of my comments seem to have been answered previously.

#31 ·
@ classicRider very well said great info!

@ Don Camillo
I have a 93 FXRS low rider convertible with the 11.5 progressive rear shocks looks great rides a bit stiff on bad roads but handles like a dream, even in the "twisties" and long curves. I kept the Stock front air forks just added a different schrader valve when I change the stock bars out to low buckhorn bars, It took a little bit of playing around with psi in the forks to get the perfect combo of handling, ride and anti-dive control for me, do to the fact of not having the air reservoir any more, depending on the temperature outside for me the psi ranges between 5 to 7.5 psi. my only issue was my headlight would call airplanes in to land lol. I had to grind a couple of washers at a taper to shim it down were the beem of light was correct to the road.
Also with the lowered rear the belt would rub every now and then on the belt guard so I deleted it, looks better in my opinion.
I had to tweak the rear brake line a bit also because the way it was routed under one of the saddle bag mounts when I hit a hard bump it cut the line in half, so when I replaced it I turned it in and away from the mount, worked great.

You did a great looking Job on your scoot too!

As a reminder for the rest of the FXRS connoisseurs in case you don't know you should never use an air compressor when airing the front forks even if it has the stock handlebar reservoir, airing up the front suspension with a compressor can and will blow the fork seals, (happened to me like a dummy), Do to the rate of velocity the air is traveling from the compressor. I always use a hand pump (bicycle pump) now.[/COLOR]

@ lowgeartx
I have the same issue so Installed a started solenoid button solved the starting issue, as long as you have power the bike will start off this button, my problem comes and goes and is a pain to try to track down and with this button you will not get stranded. the button runs about $9.00 on eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.