V-Twin Forum banner

1993 Low Rider Sport - refreshment

12K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  beardo 
#1 ·
I was looking for "project" FXR for about a year. Last month I bought one on salvage auction. Bike seems to be in good shape, just a little dirty. Speedeometer shows 38k miles.

Now bike is in my garage. It has dead battery, broken front brakes line, broken spedeometer :mad:, some paint damages, broken shift rod, turn signals, mirrors, etc. Everything was covered with thick layer of dust - bike has to spend lots of time siting somewhere "under the cloud".

Bike has some modifications and accesories: rear suspension is very low - progressiv suspension shocks about 10-11" long (looks great but I`m affraid it will be impossible to ride it), corbin seat and sissy bar (too high - it is not a chopper - will be replaced with mini version), 21" front wheel (rust as hell :mad:), fat boy rear wheel (now is polished :)), hypercharger pro (will be replaced with S&S carb and air cleaner or mikuni 42), drag pipes (probably hurts performance but looks and sounds so sweet :) ), forward controls nad other kuryakin stuff.

The battery was dead , front brake was out of order, front suspension was leaking oil and air. I spend one day removing broken parts, trying to clean and start the bike. finnalny it started. I was expecting that oil will come out of breather but not - check valve must be in good condition :)
I tie shift rod with wire and make some test ride. Bike accelerates nice, but due to lack of brakes I didn`t test all gears :).

Fuel tank was the most scratches part - but lucky for me the scratches were not deep so I painted it with new "clear" paint (few hours and 8$ :)) - I left all the dents - they will be fixed when I will paint whole bike. Front suspension is disasembeld, fork lowers are polished, and all seals will be replaced. Belt guard will be chromed again - it was broken, together with rear sprocket cover.

I want to use this bike as my daily ride and touring bike. Wide glide and XL are going to be sold.

See less See more
#2 ·
Last week I disassembled front end. Frame was polished (just to remove scratches and dirt).

Fork seals were replaced together with dust seals. Fork lowers, rear whell and all aluminium parts were polished.

funny thing - I checked VIN number on H-D site and it shows that my bike is not Low Rider Sport but SUPER GLIDE CONVERTIBLE - FXRS CONV.

#4 ·
hey there don. i myself have a 93 FXRS-CONV. great riding bike. you won't be disappointed when you get it done. i'm interested to see how it comes out. hey, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for? i got taken for $9500 from a dealer and it wasn't in near as good a shape as it is now. oh well, we live and we learn. good luck, ride safe

#6 ·
Mine's also a '93, black. Except that it's an FXRT now. And is becoming white.

An '82 FXR was my firt big twin and I'm still on 'em; so I appreciate your choice. I also respect and admire you for the hardship that I assume you're under, trying to find, repair, and maintain an old American motorcycle that was never a big seller anyway, in Poland.

Please keep us updated.

joe

#7 ·
The bike is FXRS Conv. It has saddlebags mounting points, double disc brakes in front, air suspension (probably I will get rid of this last wekend I was on a motorcycle "fly market" and saw almost new sporster front end :whistle:).

Total price of this bike (with shippingto Europe) was about 8000$ but the exchange rate was a little higher than now ($ was NEVER so cheap). I think it is great price for almost not damaged bike (well it also not new but who cares ;)).

Fuel tank is ready

Last week in my ignorance I removed top engine mount and painted it wrinkle
black. Looks nice - better than on picture ;)

but there is a problem - when I put rear wheel (it was polished) back on the bike it looks like this:

Left side is almost touching fender when right side is 1-2" from fender. I think engine needs alignment but how to do it? I have the manual (clymer) but it seems to be very complicated:confused:And maybe there is no need of alignment? It was very easy to put the stabilizer bask in the bracket...

Today I removed dead horn (**** , this thing was so hided that I spend 2 hours with wiring diaghram looking for it :eek:). New horn was attached to on the right side of transsmision. I also replaced the air line from electrical switch to hanndlebar (still need to weld this small pipe to handle bar - will post picture - easier than checking in dictionary ;) ). Today I finished work and the bike looks like this.

Tommorow I will install new brake line and try to do something with electrical conections around handlebar, repair spedeometer and tacho bracket and maybe, maybe do some test rides (the weather over here is so nice and I dont have any bike ready to ride both are in the same shape :spank:

#8 ·
Wheel offset .... The offset of the wheel is different from a Softail to an FXR. The solid mag is from a Softail and may require different spacing. The FXR's never had the rear tire in the center of the fender. It was always offset to the left side but maybe not as much as yours is now considering the rim change.

#9 ·
Thanks Springer :cheers: So I understand that a liitle asymmetry is nothing wrong?
When I bought the bike and bring it home I took short trip (1/4 mile ;) ) and the bike was handling good (and the wheel was not touching fender - would notice that). Maybe I`m just a litte over-cautious. I`m not sure about the wheel I just bought bike with this wheels . I said it is fatboy because for me it looks like from fatboy - many FXR has solid rear wheel (stock on FXLR?). Tommorow I will check everything again. New spacers are no problem for me but I dont think somebody just replace the wheel and did not get the right spacers (but everything is possible).

#10 ·
I just double checked part number to confirm and it looks like all 86-99 Read 16" wheels are direct fit. So it looks like you should be fine with the way it is mounted, no special spacers.

I will get a pic of my wheel in the fender and post it for you to see the offset in the fender.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Here is a picture of my 83 FXRT. Different wheel because of the enclosed chain drive but same offset. Compare it to the edges of the fender.
Thx again Springer!
I think everything is OK with my rear wheel (ufff :D ). The tire is a 140 - wider than stock one (will also replace it with oem style - someday ;) ).

I was hoping to start the bike this week but unlucky the new brake line is too short :mad: :badmood:. Also need to order mirrors and turn signals. Without the brakes , mirrors and turn signals bike will not pass the inspection (I wonder also about drag pipes :D ).

#12 ·
Today I instaled fuel tank, welded handlebar (it holds air even with 50 psi inside), instaled half of the brake line.

Speedo & tach bracket (and battery holder) 2 minuts before paiting

I finished the work at 22 PM so last picture is a little dark

The red thing between pipes is a horn :)

tommorow I will instal rear turn signals and maybe do a little search for parts (derby cover, front turn signalls and mirrors).

#13 ·
Finito

On last friday I almost finished the bike. I took a short ride to nearest biker party - without rear turn signals and spedeometer but everything else was in order (or almost in order).

All my friends were imresed - lots of guys has started riding Harleys in the last 2 years but only a few got an Evo (usuallly a Sportser). As I saw my FXR was the olny one - there were sobe dynas, Softails, Elektra but only one FXR (yes I`m proud :D ). Bike accelerates good, with 2 up and some camping stuff it easy cruises @ 3000-3500 RPM (about 80 mph). In fifth gear bike accelerates to 5000 RPM - il will be something about 110 mph (or more wil check it someday :D). I hope cruising with 3.5 k RPM is not too much for old Evo...

There are still some strange noises from front end (crunching - maybe a disc breake :confused:). Due to lowered rear suspension bike handles not very good. Maybe the frame is better than on Dyna (I had `01 Super Glide) but on Sportser (I had also `06 1200 custom) I feel much more comfortable in the turns.

Now the questions - if I will put on it 11.5" shocks will it make the ride any better or it is just waste of money and I should get stock 13" shock?? Now I have something around 10" rear shock (measured with shock on the bike). Low suspension looks great and on straight road bike handless great (and is very comfortable - I was affraid that my back will hurt - rear shock are hard as rock).

On monday I put the new spedeometer on the bike. Spedo and tacho bracket was straight (stock the instruments are almost at 90*) and the spedeometer cable was @very strange angle. It lasted 16 miles :spank:Yesterday I bought new cable (form Fiat 125p :D ), fixed the bracket and painted it.

Today I finished all the mayor repairs. All I need to do is just replace brake pads, and get rid of this strange sound. I also need to locate air leak from front suspension :thumbsdn: Is there some cheap way to convert air suspension in to classic fork? I was thinking about removing all "air
" crap (together with handlebar - it is comfortable but looks terrible) put some spacers in to fork tube (toocompress the spring). Or maybe I should buy new springs? What about damper rod?

I ordered new derby cover - this one is crached and I dont like "live to ride" crap (still needs timiming cover, and gas tank cap - I`m tying to buy on ebay sportser tank with stock gas tank cap :D )

I ordered also Mikuni HSR 42 total kit. Old carburator (probably a little worn out - it has 15 years and almost 40 k miles) will be sold together with Hypercharger. This damn thing cause that I cant reach breake pedal. And new air filter is smaller so it will not hide the most beautyfull thing on this bike - the engine. I also ordered the fork brace.

#15 ·
Don Camillo
I lowerer the rear a couple of inches on my FXRS with a set of works shocks and it does make the ride stiffer it is not all that bad but it can jolt you pretty good on some bumps. The extra length of the rear shocks helps smooth out the ride. But the lowered rear look does look cool so I guess I will stay with the shorter rear shocks and try to dodge the big ones. I guess it depends a lot on where you ride, in Louisiana our roads suck, I ride in other states and very seldom notice the difference in ride quality.
Ride safe

#16 ·
I'm running an '89 fxrs-sp which I picked-up in Germany while stationed there. Put on Works performance 11.5" rear shocks, White Bros springs (lowered about 2") in the forks. Get some rubbing of the belt on cold days but not much. I seem to remember the lowriders coming out stock with the "custom" version around '92 or '93 that came stock with solid rear wheel and 21" front spoked wheel with drag bars. I removed the "piece-of-****" air suspension off the forks as quickly as I could. Seals kept blowing all the time just by hitting some bumps. Initially all I did was pull all the air stuff off and put tow bolts in the respective hole on the forks. Later I replaced them with fork caps off of a fxrs. I've put on a fork brace and am very happy with the ride (little stiff but I'm a big guy) and the handling.

#17 ·
I have another problem with my FXR. Last week I manage to ride my bike a little (+200 miles). Everything was great except starting the engine. It started like a high compresion engine - with troubles ;) . I was expecting battery problems (as you can read in first post) so when battery went out I bought new one. Just to be sure I checked charing system - there was no charging. Voltage dropped with running engine. I checked the regulator (it is OK) and stator. Test sschowed that it is grounded (too much resistance on one pin). It was quite difficult to find socket wrench 1.5" overe here (metric system). Finally i bought 38mm wrench and it fitted perfectly (just a liitle free play). Clymer manual said the compensating sprocket nut has "left hand threads". But I was unable to move it. So I just for sure turned the nut counterclockwise... and I removed it (dont trust Clymer!).

Removing the rotor was easy. The cause of all troubles you can see at 1 o`clock high ;)

Tommorow my friend will try to fix the stator. I hope that ommorow I will be able to ride it - new carb and other stuff arrived from USA :clap: it is only 60 miles ftom my home ;)

P.S. 4.4l/100 km = 53 mpg and I was driving rather fast with lots of quick starts :eek:

#19 ·
Stator was replaced. I also bought new derby cover - made in Taiwan :spank: that thing weight 2x less than oryginaln cover :eek:and of course I broke it during relplacment.

Front air suspension was removed - antydive was outof order and front end was very stiff. Together with lowered rear it causes very bad handling. I instaled Progressive Suspension lowering kit (1")

Also added fork brace

Mikuni HSR42mm total kit

There is difference between CV and Mikuni! Now bike accelerates better and has more power (probably not much but I can feel it).

I also replaced oryginaln buckhorn hanndlebars with wider chrome handlebar but it seems to be too wide. I will look for stock Dyna Super Glide handlebar - it is very comfortable (I had a 2001 FXD)

I also need new longer rear shocks. Now bike handlles like rigid frame chopper. After 400 miles trip last week my back still hurts :mad:(and I`m not 70 years old ;) )

#21 ·
Don....

The 1993 FXRS-CONV Low Rider Convertible Originally featured:

* 6.0" ground clearance
* Lean Angles of 37R and 35L
* 27.5" seat height
* Dual Disc Front Brakes
* 19" Front mag wheel

you also state 05-10-2008:
Bike has some modifications and accesories: rear suspension is very low - progressiv suspension shocks about 10-11" long (looks great but I`m affraid it will be impossible to ride it), corbin seat and sissy bar (too high - it is not a chopper - will be replaced with mini version), 21" front wheel

Don you state on 06-26-08:
Now the questions - if I will put on it 11.5" shocks will it make the ride any better or it is just waste of money and I should get stock 13" shock?? Now I have something around 10" rear shock (measured with shock on the bike). Low suspension looks great and on straight road bike handless great (and is very comfortable - I was affraid that my back will hurt - rear shock are hard as rock).

Don you state on 08-14-2008
Front air suspension was removed - antydive was outof order and front end was very stiff. Together with lowered rear it causes very bad handling. I installed Progressive Suspension lowering kit (1")

Don you state on 08-14-2008:
I also need new longer rear shocks. Now bike handlles like rigid frame chopper. After 400 miles trip last week my back still hurts

And Finally back on 06-26-2008 you state:
I hope cruising with 3.5 k RPM is not too much for old Evo...

===================================

Don first of all I commend you on trying to do the project you are working on clear over there in Poland.....this is quite an accomplishment for sure.....so here are some reflections I have for you.

Above you will notice that I have mentioned what some of the "OEM" (Original Equipment Manufactuerer) features or "characteristics" your bike had coming from the factory in 1993.

What concerns me most is that one of your last statements seems to really speak about the "comfort" of your ride. Don, these bikes because of their "chassis/frame" are one of Harley Davidson's best attempts of combining "sport" with "comfort" and creating what many feel is one of HD's best "light touring" bikes ever. It sounds as if you began with some "parts" to what was a very good "platform" and are trying to get some thing back that you will enjoy riding.

In 1993 the FXRS-CON Low Rider Convertible was HD's attempt at combining the "option" of having a "light" cruiser styled "sport" bike and within minutes being able to convert the bike over to "touring" by using the factory saddlebags and "windscreen" ie: windshield.

It started out with a 19" front mag wheel, front dual discs, and of course 13" "oem" shocks.....which resulted in having a ground clearance of 6.0" and a seat height of still only 27.5" creating lean angles of 37 for the right and 35 for the left, which all "filtered" into making the bike handle and perform quite admirably in mountain situations, in city situations, and as well as at speed on the highway.

Thus it seems now the previous owner(s) [as well as some of the things you have done] prior to your acquistion have attempted to modify many things to it....ie: 21" front wheel, only one brake rotor front, lowering the bike via a lowering kit and shorter shocks has pretty much ruined the "design" of the bike as it was intended.

You are actually experiencing what Harley Davidson experienced within the confines of their "board room" between the "stylists and the engineers" on how to properly in the "minds" of both design the "perfect light touring cruiser"

You really would benefit from reading the following thread that I have been working, ie: "FXR HISTORY" I will provide the link to it here, if you wish you can click, view, and read pretty much what you are actually going through with your own bike and read it through the "minds" of corporate Harley Davidson here is the link, just so you know my "screen name is "FXR2evo99" at this particular website:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0

Essentially the bottom line is that I think you need to decide what you want out of your bike and what you want it to do, I can understand "slamming" your bike, ie: meaning "lowering" your bike....but the factory seat height of 27.5" is pretty low anyway....but as you can tell right now you are experiencing a very "harsh" and uncomfortable ride....so here is what I would suggest:

~~get rid of the lowering kit by progressive if I read correctly that there is indeed one installed....take your front fork caps off, drain your fork oil at the bottom by removing the plugs, and then refill with Bel~Ray 20w Fork Oil with 10 oz of oil in each fork leg.

~~remove the "shorter" shocks and if you must go to 12" shocks which will lower the bike's stance about 3/4" in seat height which will be plenty. The use of 11 inch shocks is way too "short" as what it results in is exactly what you are "feeling" a very "harsh" "rigid" type of ride, because the shocks have no way to provide the dampening element because of the shocks limiting travel capacity, sure they make the bike "look" good ie: the "slammed" or "lowered" look but in the end they don't perform as you are discovering at least that's what I am gathering by reading your comments as well as your effort to ask whether or not you should go back to the "stock" length shock.

I own a 1999 FXR2 and my bike handles fantastic....

and as far as your last comment, "......I hope cruising with 3.5 k RPM is not too much for old Evo......."

Your bike originally featured from the factory a final gear drive of 3.37 which is fairly low and there is another thread here in V~Twin that you might read about gearing if you are interested....it will go into depth about gearing....I will link it for you here it is click, view, and read if you like:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/fxr-motorcycle-family-discussions-forum/130202-fxrs-gearing.html

Essentially your bike is well equipped to handle as an "old evo" lol the RPM's of 3,500. In fact while each bike has it's own "sweet spot" that it just feels like it is comfortable running at....your engine should "feel" quite comfortable running in the 3,200 to 3,600 RPM range all day long....reving your engine much above 4700 rpms on a "stock" evo does littlle except for noise....keeping your evo in the RPM range of 2,900 to 3,700 is absolutely great....when you side on the higher range of 3,300 to 3,700 RPMS to run your bike on the highway the only thing that might suffer would be a bit of MPG a bit but not even that will be all that noticeable.

Hopefully some of this is helpful to you or perhaps someone else down the road.....

Regards,

"Classic"

#22 ·
ClassicRider -> thx for answer. I will stay with Progressive suspension in front fork. Fork is working good (i repalaced seals and put in new oil 15W), better than stock one on my FXD or XL. I will put on rear 12" schocks so the bike will be lowered 1" (1" in the front or maybe even less because I put the longest spacers in) and 1" in the rear. This should solve my problems. I hate the look of bike with "hole" between fender and tire. No mather how much cornering ability will harley have it will not be a sport bike and it will not handle like modern UJM (universal japan motorcycle). So I prefer to have a long&low "custom".

Now bike handles good (as I wrote in one of my first posts) but ONLY on super straight roads without boumps/holes etc. As we have not many good roads overe here my statment has changed.

One more thing - I have 2 disc in front - they also are dissapointing I was expecting better brakes. Maybe someday I will put on it new calipers for example "new style" oem (wich are very good in my opinion).

Performance/gearing and all this stuff is other topic. changing gearing with stock engin is bad idea in my opinion. I was thinking about adding SE heads & cam but it doesn`t make sense for me. Engine is not new and it will still be "old Evo" - just less depentable . So I was thinking about Ultima or S&S engine but they are damnn expensive overe here (113 S&S cost more than I paid for the bike :eek:). So I had a plan or even 2:

1. Sell FXR and finally build my dream custom (wich will look almost like stock super glide nad very close to my FXR just better brakes, better engine) :whistle:
2. Buy crasched Twin Cam powered Road King or electra and swap the engine &transsmison . TC are very good engines and can be easly "hot roded" - bb kit + heads + cams =100hp (or very close that should be enough for touring custom) . It should be easy - my friend put Tc in his Shovel FLH/FLT frame - almost without any mods. And I will also have lots of spare parts like brakes, handlebars controls , wiring and other stuff.

Ok, enough for today I`m going of a ride. Will be back on sunday :chopper:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.