FXWG rebuild : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FL/FX
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Jehu wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXWG rebuild

I'm hoping to have this thing ready by Street Vibrations Rally on September 21. It was running when it was parked for the last time in 1993.

Some details:
Converted to 5-speed (1991 factory transmission)
S&S flywheel, rods & pistons (stroker) Custom heads.
Phase III primary with 1.5", 78 tooth belt.
S&S E Series carb with surge pump bowl conversion
8" extended forks. modified shock mounts to lower back.

The previous owner converted to points ignition. I would prefer to change it back to electronic. I could use some suggestions on a good system.

The tank and fender are at the powder coater. The frame should be there by Monday.

I'm hoping for chrome spoke wheels. I just want to make sure I order the right thing. There's a little extra horsepower so I don't want anything that won't hold up. Suggestions?

Jehu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The carb you have pictured is a s&s "b" model. Very good carb, simple to tune and reliable. Been running one on my shovel since the mid to late 80s.

Lots of choices out there for ignition systems.

Dyna "s" is a good dual fire system that utilizes the advance system just like the points.

There is nothing wrong with points, except for a little adjusting and replacing them as needed.

Do some research and choose the one on you think is best.

As far as the primary cover, I would have it bead blasted and power coated.

Good luck and take your time, do it right the first time around.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny

The difference between courage and stupidity is measured only by success and survival.

If you cannot fight like your enemy you have already lost
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Return cable?!?

It looks like the S&S B Series carb was built for a return cable. It's got the second cable housing mount. The linkage doesn't have the second cable clamp though. I know that the bowl with the surge pump was added because the carb was originally without one. Have I got the wrong linkage? Is it possible to run this carb with the surge pump AND a return cable?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'm only running one cable on mine.

You can always contact s&s to see if a different type of throttle arm is available for the speed bowl conversion. While you're at it I would give it a really good cleaning and rebuild it.

Also get a K&N filter element for the air cleaner.

If you are that concerned about only one cable you can find the original float bowl and throttle arm on ebay for decent cost.

Enjoy you project and keep us updated. Lots of good people and knowledge on this site and other sites for older bikes.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny

The difference between courage and stupidity is measured only by success and survival.

If you cannot fight like your enemy you have already lost
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I'm not sure what stock length is but I've got about 28.5 inches from the bottom of the tree to the axle. I'd like to know how much extension I have. I suspect that it's around 8"

Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Factory 5-speed transmission:

The frame has been modified to fit the 5-speed.

LOVE the Shovel-head:

I'm going to powder coat the rocker boxes with finish color (navy blue) to match the frame and tins.

I'm still undecided about the ignition. I prefer electronic as a general rule. This machine was converted to run points from a Ford Pinto. I don't know if it's worth the effort to change this out. I may run it as is for a while. It should be a simple changeover later if need be.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Progress on the powder coating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161021_173802_1477147899071.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	213378  
Old 10-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S is still riding a stock bike Alan S is still riding a stock bike
Looks good. Keep the pics coming.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The oil bag is done. As near as I can figure, this is not from a 1983. I think I'll be fabricating brackets. I'm pretty sure that the 1983 had a visible battery.

The over / under rectangular headlight pots had a problem in the powder coating. The studs got baked on and no longer swivel. I've been assured that a few minutes in the oven will break them free.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Progress...
Tank fitting is going to be a challenge. Engine is on the stand and awaiting de-greasing Gunk and pressure washing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161028_124739.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	213578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161028_124749.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	213586  
Old 10-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The Gunk and pressure washing didn't work out so well. I found out that there's a gel version of Gunk De-greaser. I have used oven cleaner in the past but I'm cautious with this sort of thing. I don't want to take a chance on damaging anything. Any suggestions?

Also, I need to paint the cylinders. If I were to take the engine apart, I would powder coat but I can mask and paint. Any recommendations on a good, flat-black engine paint?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161031_075732.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	213706  
Old 11-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I can't believe that I thought this was going to be easy. This bike was up and running with the same parts that I have to work with.

The gas tank is a little too long. The back of it will mount a couple inches behind where the frame starts to widen out. I got some 1-3/4" stainless tubing. I'm going to cut out 1/4 to 1/3 circle out of a 2" section, weld it to the frame and put a threaded bung in it. The back of the tank will sit about an inch higher but it should be okay.

The oil tank is from a different year. The previous owner changed it out for the "battery hiding" wraparound version. I like that mod but the mounting tabs are about 1/2" too short. I'll have to fashion a mounting bracket to give it an offset.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161101_085900.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	213786   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161101_085907.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	213794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161101_085921.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	213802  
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this? tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this?
lose the points they are nothing but aggrivation on an often ridden bike... it looks good... you dont have 8" over tubes on a stock fxwg... ith standard used to be 2" over to compensate for the rake built into the fxwg tree., yeah the oil tank looks to be from a 2000 or newer, or a custom...
Good work keep at it TT
tall terry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall terry View Post
lose the points they are nothing but aggrivation on an often ridden bike... it looks good... you dont have 8" over tubes on a stock fxwg... ith standard used to be 2" over to compensate for the rake built into the fxwg tree., yeah the oil tank looks to be from a 2000 or newer, or a custom...
Good work keep at it TT
Thank you, Terry.

I've been undecided about the points. I strongly prefer electronic but the previous owner who made the conversion is highly opinionated on the subject and I'm relying on his help to reassemble this chopper. I was hoping that, after getting this thing on the road, a conversion back to electronic will be simple.

The stock length for a 1983 FXWG is 24.75". Where is that measured from? Mine are 34" from axle center to the top of the tube. That's uncompressed off the bike.

The shock mounts have been moved back on the swing-arm for lowering in the back. I'm not sure how much lowering it amounts to. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing sitting on the wheels. I'm fabricating the over & under rectangular headlight mounts and I'll need accurate geometrics.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I got the seat today. It's fitting pretty well but I'd like the tank to sit a little lower. I can get away with some judicious grinding on some superfluous metal which should lower by at least 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I wish I had dry-fit this before powder coating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161109_095909.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	214050   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_095851.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	214058  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.