converting primary from chain to belt - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FL/FX
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

therocks wants to know where he is and how he got here
Best belt drive by far is Super Max.I have one on my 58 Pan.Its been on since 93 and Ive adjusted it once.I have a Primo on the SuperGlide I sold to my son.Its been on since 82 and had one belt replaced.Only reason it needed replace was the nut came loose and pretty much sliced the belt down the middle and it still ran like that for 4 years.The Glide probally has 100K on its belt.Both were ran closed primary.Just remember that belt driv you need to block the primary chain oiler.I run Barnett clutches in all my big twins.Rocky
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
FNG :)

dtshephe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Several years back I too wanted to get rid of the seeping oil from the chain primary. Long story short: I ended up with a KARATA primary belt system. With-in the first six months the KARATA clutch basket threw/wore through ?? the dogs in the basket. I thought that I threw/broke the belt, til I pulled the cover. Anyway, even with a fully vented the 1.5 belts don't stand up to (normal) riding. Bang a gear break the belt.
dtshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mark982 wants to know Dino or Syn?
gotta agree with therocks. super max is just the best belt drive period. have had mine i on my 67 since 1990. not one single problem. and we wont evn discuss how many miles, cause odometer quit working many years ago. must be a reason harley approached phil ross about running his systems!
mark982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Tommyc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for your opinions guys. I went to a belt b/c my master HD mechanic named Chicago Bob reccomended I do so to eliminate the leakage. I was tired of the primary fluid leaking. I got the belt on now and it runs great! Throttle response is much better without the compensator sprocket assembly. (No, I don't want to sell it) J&P Cycles sells them.
I ran a straight edge from the clutch hub over past the motor pulley to verify proper alignment. I got lucky and did not need to shim the motor pulley.
Anyways the belt is working fine. I put some holes in my outer primary and installed vented covers. The belt runs nice and cool, no overheating. It's a BDL belt and let me tell you guys these belts are made to last~! I don't forsee any problems with it. Maybe past bad experiences you guys had were with inferior or old design type belts. The belt is 1 1/2" wide but I have seen youtube videos where the belt was shaved to 1/4" wide and still was able to smoke the rear tire without breaking. My problem now is my freeking seal around the motor shaft is leaking oil into the primary so gueass what? After all the money and time I still have a oil leak. I found my tranny is also leaking. Not to fear, I am going to soon disassemble my primary, remove and rebuild the tranny and replace the oil seal at the motor shaft and also add a set of STD ported and flowed dual plug heads. The heads are bought and being machine to fit my 3 5/8" bore as we speak. My shovel is gonna run like a naked ape with it's 93 cubic inches, 4 spark plugs, thunderjet valve and it's dyna 2000i ignition running in true single fire mode. Single fire is much better!
Tommyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyc View Post
...My problem now is my freeking seal around the motor shaft is leaking oil into the primary so gueass what? After all the money and time I still have a oil leak....
Did you reverse the sprocket shaft seal?

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

stoneyc wants to know Dino or Syn?
just broke the primary drive belt on my 1972 FLH during downshift, the BLD belt drive has been on my shovel for over 7 years with no trouble until last week. Yes I do have vented covers and have put a lot of miles on it in hot gulf coast weather. new belt going on this weekend with no plans to go back to chain drive.
stoneyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mark982 wants to know Dino or Syn?
tommy, nice to see you got the belt and aligned, not sure of the bdl set ups. but the instructions on mine when i put my super max set up on, where to check like you did to make sure they were running straight. BUT also to set your straight edge on top of the teeth of the pulleys(lay it flat) to make sure that you don't have to shim under the tranny itself, when laid flat on clutch hub teeth, the straight edge might not be laying flat on the engine pulley,hence the need to shim under the tranny.
mark982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

therocks wants to know where he is and how he got here
Plus the Super Max uses a poly clutch hub.You probally loose 5 pounds from the steel one.Met Phil Ross a few times when my buddy owened the HD shop.He had the belt on his for years and drove cross country many times.One time he actually shoveled junk into the belt running to show it didnt hurt anything.My Pan runs a closed primary and never a problem in probally 20 years with that belt.Rocky
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

clive_frog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like Tommyc I am also going to a primary belt on my classic 2005 springer.
Changing oil out every few thousand miles and the nature of chain driven primaries has put me on the same path.

I'm going to be using a Rivera Primo Brute 111 extreme enclosed system. I've asked around and the general consenus is either it will handle most tunes up to 100 bhp without any drama.

I dont doubt previous belt technologies where found somewhat wanting, and indeed did fail, but the current crop of belts are in a completely different league.

However after having said my piece, ironically I'm looking at a Zippers belt to chain conversion for the primary.
clive_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #25 (permalink)

clive_frog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sorry.............

I should have said belt to chain conversion to the final drive.
clive_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

SteveB wants to know Dino or Syn?
having had a 1981 FXWG with 88" big bore and primary belt I mighta kept it with chain primary and 6 speed. Broken belts are not fun.
H-D Passenger backrest and luggage rack
Doherty PowePacc Kit with crank vents.Inside stock air cleaner
Cobra fi2000 O2
H-D oil cooler
Synthetic oil
Patriot Defender exhaust
dunlop 401F
Michelin Commander II rear
XLC handlebars and 2" extra rise in Risers
10.5" shocks
1" lowered seat with memory foam added
Chrome
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

SteveB wants to know Dino or Syn?
read this...http://www.supermax.net/
H-D Passenger backrest and luggage rack
Doherty PowePacc Kit with crank vents.Inside stock air cleaner
Cobra fi2000 O2
H-D oil cooler
Synthetic oil
Patriot Defender exhaust
dunlop 401F
Michelin Commander II rear
XLC handlebars and 2" extra rise in Risers
10.5" shocks
1" lowered seat with memory foam added
Chrome
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

ftwflh1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyc View Post
Thanks for your opinions guys. I went to a belt b/c my master HD mechanic named Chicago Bob reccomended I do so to eliminate the leakage. I was tired of the primary fluid leaking. I got the belt on now and it runs great! Throttle response is much better without the compensator sprocket assembly. (No, I don't want to sell it) J&P Cycles sells them.
I ran a straight edge from the clutch hub over past the motor pulley to verify proper alignment. I got lucky and did not need to shim the motor pulley.
Anyways the belt is working fine. I put some holes in my outer primary and installed vented covers. The belt runs nice and cool, no overheating. It's a BDL belt and let me tell you guys these belts are made to last~! I don't forsee any problems with it. Maybe past bad experiences you guys had were with inferior or old design type belts. The belt is 1 1/2" wide but I have seen youtube videos where the belt was shaved to 1/4" wide and still was able to smoke the rear tire without breaking. My problem now is my freeking seal around the motor shaft is leaking oil into the primary so gueass what? After all the money and time I still have a oil leak. I found my tranny is also leaking. Not to fear, I am going to soon disassemble my primary, remove and rebuild the tranny and replace the oil seal at the motor shaft and also add a set of STD ported and flowed dual plug heads. The heads are bought and being machine to fit my 3 5/8" bore as we speak. My shovel is gonna run like a naked ape with it's 93 cubic inches, 4 spark plugs, thunderjet valve and it's dyna 2000i ignition running in true single fire mode. Single fire is much better!
I put a Primo belt on mine and have been fighting the engine seal and tranny seal.Changed the motor seal 3 time(change the direction of the seal) and no luck.Taking it to a shop that specializes in Shovels today.Hope he can fix it.
ftwflh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
jjq

jjq wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went from the chain to belt , then back to the chain. My inner primary wold get full of crap, and after a couple thousand miles the belt was looking a little chewed up. I went back to the chain with the sealed primary. I have the M1 chain tensioner, so I don't have to worry much. You going to love the 93" setup. I'm running the Super Sidewinder w\STD dual plug heads,etc, etc, It screams! Get the Thunderheader and a good tune. I have had the setup for around 10 years now and haven't touched the motor(knock on wood now). Good luck with it.
jjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement