Annoying Vibration : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

easyflyer65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Annoying Vibration

I too have been experiencing that good 'ol Dyna vibration - like trying to hold on to a sawzall cutting through pipe! It seem's like it's getting worse. I've tried it all - new front and top mounts, HD alignment proceedure, Balance Masters, Hayden M6, re-jetting, different pipes, even tried the $10 fix on this forum - no improvement. My question is, has anybody had a bad REAR motor mount? During the HD alignment procedure, does it make a difference which MOUNT and which BOLTS get tightened up FIRST? Thanks.
easyflyer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Screamin'XL wants to know Dino or Syn?
According to the HD manual, torque the frame to mount bolts first and then torque the engine to mount bolts. Don't think it makes much difference, but just wanted to give you the heads up. I would definitely check the rear mount just to be on the safe side. How many miles on the bike?
Screamin'XL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin'XL
According to the HD manual, torque the frame to mount bolts first and then torque the engine to mount bolts. Don't think it makes much difference, but just wanted to give you the heads up. I would definitely check the rear mount just to be on the safe side. How many miles on the bike?
Only 8k, I just replaced the front about 300 miles ago. Went out for a ride today, vibs so bad I turned around and came back home, got out my Suzuki ATV - it's smooth. I don't care what anybody says, if you spend $14K for a motorcycle excessive vibs shouldn't be "normal". Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you checked your tires? Do you have spokes? It could be a bad or out of balance tire, an untrue rim and bad wheel bearing, swing arm rear shocks, it goes on and on. Find a good indie, they will find it before the dealer will.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul
Have you checked your tires? Do you have spokes? It could be a bad or out of balance tire, an untrue rim and bad wheel bearing, swing arm rear shocks, it goes on and on. Find a good indie, they will find it before the dealer will.
My front tire was a bit cupped so I put a new Metzlers on, no differrence. The vibs are rpm related, pull in the clutch at speed and they go away. Vibs really bad when decelerating to a stop, and also bad sitting still. Wondering if something in the clutch/tranny could cause this?
Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know you have the M6, but I minimized the vibration on my DWG by tightening the primary chain to the tight side of spec.
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 05:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
rcm
HOG Member

rcm wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had some vibration on my 06 FXDI (6500 miles) after having new tires put on at the dealer. I returned the next day and asked them to check it. After two test rides and a real good look they disovered a torn front engine mount. Replaced under warranty and the vibration is gone.
rcm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I'm primary chain fairly tight. I took out the M6 and put the stock tensioner back in, then put the M6 back in, no difference. I had my bike into the dealer in July, wanted them to check out EVERYTHING, the said vibs are normal and charged me .5 hrs labor. Obviously they didn't look at nothing.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Sounds like a very perplexing problem! Check out that rear mount. Let us know what you find. I sure want to know what it is being a Dyna rider-thanx...
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Oldandslow wants to know Dino or Syn?
This won't help you any but i have the same problem on my 07 Super Glide. I asked the dealer if it was normal to shake like that and he said it was. It's especially bad when i pull in the clutch and am slowing down. Some where between 2000 and 1000 rpm it shakes like crazy. Also at idle. I'm just going to use lots of blue loctite and ride it until it falls apart!

I wonder if I could trade it in on a counter-balanced "96" "Soft Tail" for a few thousand dollars? Is the counter-balanced engine a lot smoother?

Last edited by Oldandslow; 11-26-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Oldandslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Looking at the rear mount it doesn't move at all but this is probably due to the fact that it act's like a pivot point - front mount does all the movin. I'm wondering why I don't feel much vibration when excelerating hard. Anybody notice this? I guess I could change out the rear mount and see what happens.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

1969K10 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I fought what turned out to be a broken motor mount for several months. I was told it was everything from the neck bearings, to the wheel, tire, drive sprocket, brakes, and a few other things...
Mine was OK under acceleration. on maintaining speed, there was a noticable vibration, but nothing bad. however, when I was stopping, it was BAD! There at the end it was so bad I didn't enjoy riding the bike much.
Turned out it was a broken motor mount, so if your suspecting them, pull them off and check them!!!
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

klinkcol wants to know Dino or Syn?
06 FXDI with over 18K. Vibration between 60-70 MPH in Sixth gear. It vibrates in all gears, just at lower MPH. It is RPM related. Pull in the clutch and the vibration goes away. The vibration got real bad around 5K. HD replaced the front motor mount and reduced the vibration back to where it has been. Also shimmed the front motor mount, which helped a little. The transmission main shaft bearing has been replaced twice, due to excessive noise. It seems to go bad at 7K intervals.
klinkcol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Tom T wants to know Dino or Syn?
Vibration

I heard from different sources that the B engine has more vibration at higher RPM's then the none balanced at cruising.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Went for a ride today, couldn't take it no more. Pulled the bike in and checked the mounts AGAIN, nothing looks wrong. Just doesn't make for a good ride when you know something isn't right. I was going to build the motor after x-mas but I'm thinking about selling it. Never buy one again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.