Transmission Main Shaft Bearing Failure Second Time : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

klinkcol wants to know Dino or Syn?
Transmission Main Shaft Bearing Failure Second Time

This bearing failed at 7 and 17K and was replaced by the local HD dealership. My bike is a 2006 FXDI with no modifications. When I purchased the bike, HD required me to sign a form that stated the dealer will replace this bearing every 15K. HD then sent me a letter stating this is no longer required. I like the bike, but do not like waiting a week for the dealer to replace the bearing and in the future having to pay for HD to do this when the warrantee runs out. It might be time to buy a Gold Wing or BMW.
klinkcol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

hjdistl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkcol
This bearing failed at 7 and 17K and was replaced by the local HD dealership. My bike is a 2006 FXDI with no modifications. When I purchased the bike, HD required me to sign a form that stated the dealer will replace this bearing every 15K. HD then sent me a letter stating this is no longer required. I like the bike, but do not like waiting a week for the dealer to replace the bearing and in the future having to pay for HD to do this when the warrantee runs out. It might be time to buy a Gold Wing or BMW.

My 06 Dyna tranmission just went out this last weekend while on a 1700 mile trip. I was 900 miles from my home. Happened on a Sunday afternoon. 6800 miles and never abused. Was with a goup of 13 other bikes. I said to hell with it and traded it off for FTLHCU. I guess that what we get for buying a research model. Good thing is I got a good trade in and a great price on the cruiser.

I wonder how many others are having the same problem??
hjdistl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm a tech at a fairly busy dealership, and have not seen this happen yet. Only saying this so you'll know that it's not an epidemic or anything.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

klinkcol wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks like the Third new bearing is holding up. Got 29.8K now. One thing I noticed. After the second bearing was replaced at 17K, I changed all fluids at 20K. Fluid in the Chain Drive had a burnt smell. When changing fluids at 25K, No un-normal odors existed. Hopefully the problem is fixed. I will post a message if it reappears. I use Formula + in the transmission and Chain Drive and SYN3 for the engine.
klinkcol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not FNG anymore

Curtis Shipp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkcol

Does anybody know the BRG # that goes out. If it is a straight roller you could possibly replace it with a spherical roller and cure the problem.
Curtis Shipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Not trying to start anything here. Just reporting what I know.

I have talked to 3 other 06 Dyna owners that have had bearing problems around 7K. I have found a common thread with them and my old bike. Short trips under 200 miles with hour long stops to eat etc. Took them on a long trip where you would go 100-140 miles stop gas up and go on a 450-600 mile trip. Noise starts the next day and the rest is history.

Looking back on the whole thing, I think there was a clue something was wrong. The Transmission dip stick was always to hot to handle with a bare hand. Always needed a rag to insulate my hand. this was even on a short 40-50 mile trip.

I do not think is is a design flaw by no means. I think there were some bad bearings in the parts system. I would venture to say 99% of the Dyna owners are in great shape.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kjjdret wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you have any symptoms (i.e. noises) before the bearing went out? The last couple of days, I have been hearing what sounds kind of like a rurr, rurr, rurr, rurr noise that speeds up when I speed up and slows when I slow. I though it might be the disk brakes, but engaging or releasing the brakes has no effect on the noise and the pads are fine so I don't think its that. It sounds like its coming from the transmission. Any thoughts? Thanks

John D.
2006 FXDI35
D&D FatCats
ThunderMax
SE A/C w/K&N Filter
Massive amounts of chrome along with a few gadgets.
kjjdret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjdret
Did you have any symptoms (i.e. noises) before the bearing went out? The last couple of days, I have been hearing what sounds kind of like a rurr, rurr, rurr, rurr noise that speeds up when I speed up and slows when I slow. I though it might be the disk brakes, but engaging or releasing the brakes has no effect on the noise and the pads are fine so I don't think its that. It sounds like its coming from the transmission. Any thoughts? Thanks
Mine started out like yours. Got worse. Was so bad one of the guys asked if I was grinding coffee for in the morning.

Start it up let the clutch out. Pull the clutch in and put it in gear, keep the clutch pulled in. Noise stops?? If so put it in neutral and let clutch out. Noise returns??? If so get it to the dealer.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks. I'll try that today and see what happens.

John D.
2006 FXDI35
D&D FatCats
ThunderMax
SE A/C w/K&N Filter
Old 07-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Alcors11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Transmission Main Shaft Bearing Failure Second Time

I purchased a new 2006 FXDWGI this sping as a left over. I've heard of tanny problems. I NEVER had the opportunity to see a letter from the factory promising to fix this problem??

Alcors11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

tireater wants to know where he is and how he got here
When I bought my St Bob, I had to sign a piece of paper that said I had been told of the inner primary bearing was going to be replaced at 15k...
At 13k...I think the lower end went out...0 oil pressure...I'll know soon...
tireater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

HDPwr152 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Angry One more bad bearing experience!

I have had my 06 Dyna Lowrider for 9 months. I am just over 8K miles and believe I have the same problem. Start it and hear the noise. Put in gear with clutch pulled and goes away. Back to neutral and let it out, back it comes. I have not gotten it to a dealer yet but need to soon. Sitting in garage is no place for an HD. NEW OR OLD!
HDPwr152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Transmission Main Shaft Bearing Failure Second Time

Klinkcol - thanks for the PM. I tried the procedure that you and hjdistl recommended and sure enough I have the noise when I let the clutch out while in neutral. Its not real loud yet and I've still been riding the bike to work. I've only been able to get any good riding time the last couple of months. I got the bike while stationed in Italy last year, but wasn't able to ride but about once a month - only racked up about 1800 miles in 11 months. I've been here just over two months and I have about 3000 miles on it now. Did the noise get progressively louder over time or did the bearing just go out without much warning? I've got an appointment to get it dyno tuned next week and thought I would wait until after that to take to the Harley dealer since its about a two week wait for me to get the dyno tuning done. Hopefully, the bearing will hold out at least a couple more weeks. I really wouldn't have thought with as little miles as I have on the bike that the bearing would be going out, especially since around 7,000 miles seems to be where everyone is having problems.

John D.
2006 FXDI35
D&D FatCats
ThunderMax
SE A/C w/K&N Filter
Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Ender

Pikeslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
My bike is slightlty modified. Think the stealer will give me any problems? Anybody have any first hand experience with this issue?
Hobanized Crank, Axtell 117" cylinders, CP flat tops, 10.6:1 CR, Woods TW8, R&R cast heads, R&R roller rockers, HPI 51mm T/B, 4.9 g/s SE injectors, D&D Fat Cat 2into1 QB, Rivera Pro Clutch, Evo Industries 49T, Tuned by Big Boyz
Pikeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjdret
Klinkcol - thanks for the PM. I tried the procedure that you and hjdistl recommended and sure enough I have the noise when I let the clutch out while in neutral. Its not real loud yet and I've still been riding the bike to work. I've only been able to get any good riding time the last couple of months. I got the bike while stationed in Italy last year, but wasn't able to ride but about once a month - only racked up about 1800 miles in 11 months. I've been here just over two months and I have about 3000 miles on it now. Did the noise get progressively louder over time or did the bearing just go out without much warning? I've got an appointment to get it dyno tuned next week and thought I would wait until after that to take to the Harley dealer since its about a two week wait for me to get the dyno tuning done. Hopefully, the bearing will hold out at least a couple more weeks. I really wouldn't have thought with as little miles as I have on the bike that the bearing would be going out, especially since around 7,000 miles seems to be where everyone is having problems.
Mine got worse and I got it into the dealer before it locked up or blew up. I was in the Mountains around Santa Fe,NM when I took it in. Mechanic told me I was one luck dude because it could have locked up at anytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.