FXDL vs lowered FXDC : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

vtfeesh wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXDL vs lowered FXDC

Hey all. New to this forum & to the world of motorcycles. I just finished the Rider's Edge class & got my license two weeks ago and I'm in the market for a 06-07 Dyna. Since I'm only 5'4", I've been looking at the Low Rider, however I also like the looks of the Super Glide Custom.

I'm trying to figure out the differences (pros/cons) between the FXDL suspension and a lowered FXDC suspension. The Dyna Low Rear Shock Kit says it will lower the seat height approximately 1". That would bring the stock seat height of the FXDC to the stock seat height of the FXDL (25.8") Then I guess I could play with reach seats if I need any more lowering.

Does anyone recommend not lowering the FXDC and to stick with the FXDL? Or is it the same either way?

Appreciate any help for the first-time "short" bike shopper.

Last edited by vtfeesh; 08-03-2006 at 10:28 PM.
vtfeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

bobbybob wants to know Dino or Syn?
If money is no object, go for the Low Rider. If you'd like to save several thousand dollars, get an FXDI (not a Custom), add Progressive lower rear shocks for $250, and play around with adding the other "farkles" you want. We're talking big savings here and the end result is VERY close. I believe the front end is also lowered some on the Low Rider but if seat height is your primary concern, go with a lowered FXDI. To see how Harley markets their products, do a comparison between the actual specs on an FXDI, FXDC, & Low Rider. You are paying a LOT of money for extras you may not want OR could add your self for much less. And half the fun is farkling your own scoot anyway. My 2 cents worth.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

TONY BIKE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I Lowered My 05 Fxd With The Ness Lowing Kit Cost About A C Note.
Also Added A Reach Seat From The Dealers And Custom Mini Apes From Flanders, Everything Seemed To Work Out Good. I Was Going To Get The Low Rider But For The Money I Saved I Can Fix My Ride Up Any Way I Want, Don't Forget The Low Rider Has A Nice Rake To It That The Super Glide Don't. I Guess That There Is Pro's And Con's To Everything.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
semi-retired

FatBobRob wants to know Dino or Syn?
or

if i ain't mistaken,the softail deluxe has the lowest seat height,if that's your priority.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

The "nice rake" that the Low Rider has ain't really so nice...it looks OK but at the expense of low-speed handling, like in parking lots or around gas pumps. Thats why Dyna's are so popular--the shallow rake angle gives it (almost) sport-bike handling instead of the heavy "floppy" front end of the 32 degree rake crowd (Softails, etc.)
Old 08-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Takin' the long way home!

SlowRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob
The "nice rake" that the Low Rider has ain't really so nice...it looks OK but at the expense of low-speed handling, like in parking lots or around gas pumps. Thats why Dyna's are so popular--the shallow rake angle gives it (almost) sport-bike handling instead of the heavy "floppy" front end of the 32 degree rake crowd (Softails, etc.)

Actually, Lowriders are not raked any more. All Dynas are at 29 degrees now except tor the Wide Glide, which is 34 degrees. (according to the HD web site) This applies to '06 and '07's. Previous to that the Lowrider and Wideglide were 32 degrees and the rest of the Dynas were 28 degrees. Carry on.
SlowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

vtfeesh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seat height is one factor, but the foot controls are the other. I've sat on a few Softails at the dealers (with the salesperson stabilizing the bike) and tested both the foot boards and forward controls. With my height challenge, I feel like I'm sitting way up on the tank just to get to the controls.

FatBobRob, I sat on a deluxe and really liked the seat height, but felt a little iffy on the foot controls. Also, the more I look at the sporty look of the Dynas, the more I prefer them over the Softails.

bobbybob, I did a close comparison of the FXD, FXDC, & FXDL, and it seems like you're just paying a lot of money for chrome, powder coating, and possibly instrument location (i.e. speedometer/tach integrated on the tank, versus on the handlebar). Guess it comes down to what engine/tranny coatings & tank config you like.

TonyBike, are you similar in height? 5'4 ?

Do you think it's safe to assume that the suspension of the FXD is the same as the FXDC? Looking at the pics on the HD website, it seems like the Custom is just a bit lower than the FXD.
vtfeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

KrustyTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
I currently on an 05 FXD. I'm 5'6 with a 32 inch inseam. I put on a set of Lowrider shocks and a seat off of a Custom. Then I added 4 inch risers to bring the bar a little closer. Now the bike fits me perfectly.

Buy the FXD and use the extra cash to make the bike fit you, instead of trying to fit yourself to a bike. See if the dealer will swap out the parts you want for you before you pick it up.

Mine installed Screaming Eagle mufflers, a detachable backrest, Screaming Eagle air cleaner and the dual touring seat for me all before I picked up the bike. I had to pay for it of course but it was worth it to be able to drive away happy and not have to wait.

See if you can try out the Reach seat or some different bar setups. Most dealer ships have a rig set up so you can try different seats and stuff.

If you like the bars and seat from a Lowrider, have the dealer swap them to an FXD.

hope this helps,
KrustyTC
KrustyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

WS6 Formula wants to know Dino or Syn?
2006 Triple Clamps

FXDI/C/B/35 models: 29˚/29˚ (0˚ difference from head to fork)

steering head/fork angles

FXDLI model: 29˚/30.5˚ (1.5˚ difference from head to fork)

FXDWGI models: 34˚/36˚ (2.0˚ difference from head to fork)

WS6 Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfeesh
Seat height is one factor, but the foot controls are the other. I've sat on a few Softails at the dealers (with the salesperson stabilizing the bike) and tested both the foot boards and forward controls. With my height challenge, I feel like I'm sitting way up on the tank just to get to the controls.

FatBobRob, I sat on a deluxe and really liked the seat height, but felt a little iffy on the foot controls. Also, the more I look at the sporty look of the Dynas, the more I prefer them over the Softails.

bobbybob, I did a close comparison of the FXD, FXDC, & FXDL, and it seems like you're just paying a lot of money for chrome, powder coating, and possibly instrument location (i.e. speedometer/tach integrated on the tank, versus on the handlebar). Guess it comes down to what engine/tranny coatings & tank config you like.

TonyBike, are you similar in height? 5'4 ?

Do you think it's safe to assume that the suspension of the FXD is the same as the FXDC? Looking at the pics on the HD website, it seems like the Custom is just a bit lower than the FXD.

Suspension on FXD vs FXDC is the same--seat height is within 2/10 of an inch. Yep--you got it right--lots of extra $$ for a chrome headlight cover, etc. on the Custom---you could add it all yourself for a fraction...if you even wanted to.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

TONY BIKE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm Not Interested In The Soft Tail Bikes. I Sat On A Couple Rode Most Of Them And Bought A Superglide. Being Hieght Is An Issue 5'7"29" Inseam I Like The Superglide Because I Can Make It Fit. I Haven't Looked At The Specs On The New Low Riders But The 05 Did Have A Rake. I Like The Superglides But The Low Rider Has A Nice Look. Imo The Dyna Family Gives A Person More Options To Set Up There Bikes.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Maybe you could pick up the '06 FXDCI for a good price. Check around because some dealers give some pretty decent discounts at year end... some dealers that is. I got my '05 FXDCI year end with $1000 below retail and I figured out to add all the chrome stuff to an FXD would have cost me a little more, not to mention the time invested in doing it. I've added a few things here and there and really want to do a chrome inner primary, but that can wait. I also put a Sundowner seat on it, which raised me back up a bit, but it was a necessary evil because the stock seat comfort really sucks. Also put forward controls on it.

Buddy of mine has a FXDL and there really isn't a huge visual difference. I put lower rear shocks and a 21" up front, which gave it more of a raked look and a lot of people think it looks nicer than the FXDL. He even said the only reason he did the FXDL is to get the dual discs, which is something that is sorely needed on all these bikes. I'm adding another disc to mine this winter.

I don't know how the FXDL handles because I haven't ridden his, but the FXD is like a dirt bike, relatively speaking. It's nimble and very good in the turns and I've avoided more than one accident due to this. Twice I've had the rear break loose and it doesn't misbehave at all. Off the throttle a tad and she's firmly planted again. My crotch rocket loving step-son had it sideways the other day and just before the beating commenced he commented on how nicely it responded to his recovery attempt.

Here's an older picture (has chromed out controls now):

http://users.bestweb.net/~jr/downloads/HD18.jpg
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement