Which year Dyna is the best? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

lsmith wants to know Dino or Syn?
Which year Dyna is the best?

I have done plenty of research on the Sportster, but my wife says if I'm going to get a bike it will have to be at least as big as the Super Glide. So, can someone give me the specifics of the major changes in the Dyna Super Glide over the past 8 years or so? I can't afford a new one, so I know the new 6-speed tranny is out. But, what about engine and transmission changes and other important updates? And what is a fair price for any given year?
Thanks everyone, you may have a Dyna convert on your hands.

Lsmith
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
JRS
IronButt

JRS wants to know Dino or Syn?
My choice for a TC engine would be an '02, especially if you're going to hot- rod it. They fixed the cam bearing issues by then, and they still had the stronger crank bearings (the left side bearing was changed in '03).

John
JRS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
2003 SpringDyna

silverback57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have 2003 carbed model so when i upgrade engine I don't have to worry about re-mapp(?sp). I here it runs a couple hundred.

http://www.dyna.dk/

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/

http://www.chuckhawks.com/super_glide_sport.htm

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...=7737&veh=5769

Last edited by silverback57; 02-13-2006 at 12:59 PM.
silverback57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Life is what you make it

hotshotfxdl is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I personally would go with the TC 01 or 02 carbed. Makes it a lot easier for the guy who wants to mess with things. I have 30000 on my 01 FXDL with no problems yet. I would personally get one with a black motor too I think over time the keep a cleaner look ? JMO
30 tooth tranny sprocket
3 Degree Raked HHI Tree

Our individual lives are each infinite treasure houses. Our lives are clusters of blessings. Lasting happiness never comes from the outside. Everything of value emanates from within our own being.
hotshotfxdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
1998 FXD, last of the Evo engines! Bugs worked out, easy engine hop up without having to fuss with heads. Cam, Carb, Pipes, ignition module = Zoom!

If you must have a Twinkie go with the 02!
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is there a reason that none of you would go with the fuel injection? If I were to buy one, I wouldn't do a lot of mods. on it. I just want something reliable and relatively easy to keep clean.
I rented a '98 FXD a couple years ago. Are the '99 and newer ones a little smoother?
I have also ridden the "old" Sportster, Fat Boy, Wide Glide, Softail, but I sure like the Super Glide the best. The '98 did feel a little to "clunky" though.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith
Is there a reason that none of you would go with the fuel injection? If I were to buy one, I wouldn't do a lot of mods. on it. I just want something reliable and relatively easy to keep clean.
I rented a '98 FXD a couple years ago. Are the '99 and newer ones a little smoother?
I have also ridden the "old" Sportster, Fat Boy, Wide Glide, Softail, but I sure like the Super Glide the best. The '98 did feel a little to "clunky" though.

Clunky??? My 98 is smooth as glass except when it's sitting idling. I owned and rode a 2000 which I sold. If you want to remain mostly stock and are happy with the twin cam I would try and find a 2002. Long story short there are pinion bearing issues etc with different year twin cams. The 2002 is a safe bet. Just remember, in order to get the same bolt on horsepower and torque numbers out of a twin cam you must do some head work. The Evo heads are good from the factory for some pretty good jumps in numbers with just a cam, air cleaner upgrade, carb jet kit, and a ignition module as icing on the cake. People are just use to tuning carbs. Throw in a kit tweak her up and read the plugs. Not happy try another jet tweak etc. The fuel injection requires different maps, tuning techniques etc. Equipment and help tuning an injected bikes costs more and you are basically at the disposal of your own knowlege or trusting that of others. Injected bikes when tuned right run great too! All info I am providing should not be misconstrued as coming from a professional Harley mechanic. I am a back yard type whos played with Harleys for over 27 years. From what you describe I would by a 2002 Twin cam that has had the dealers stage one already preformed on it. Then ride happily and clean till your hearts content!

Last edited by rickr01; 02-13-2006 at 02:00 PM.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe "clunky" is not the best word. It was a rental Harley so it probably had been abused and wasn't well cared for. It looked nice, though.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

peachtreeautosa wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith
Maybe "clunky" is not the best word. It was a rental Harley so it probably had been abused and wasn't well cared for. It looked nice, though.
I have a 2004 Dyna. With EFI. I love it! With 5K in miles it has performed flawlessly. I particularly like not having to choke it. It sets up the enrichment and idle automatically. If you don't care to monkey with the performance of the bike as myself and simply want to add cosmetics to enhance the appearance this is the way to go! ~Jim

I'm Just Say'n
peachtreeautosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

george248 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2004 Dyna. With Carb. I love it! With 12K in miles it has performed flawlessly. I particularly like not having a fuel pump to worry about. I just pull the choke for about 15 seconds and it starts right up every time. After adding slip ons and an AC I was able to rejet it myself at home for a couple bucks.

Just funnin with ya

On a slightly more serious note... I think Rick gave some good advice in reference to an 02 model.

Last edited by george248; 02-13-2006 at 04:48 PM.
george248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: on the road mostly but i camp at my ol'ladies house at times
Thomas Howard wants to know Dino or Syn?
even after the trans recall i'm a happy camper and crap like the recall usely pissses me off big time.
So i vote 06

06 Super Glide
Vivid Black
HD grips, pegs & pass. pegs
HD Badlander leather seat & mini back pad
HD removeable windshield [clamp on for 06's] WAYCOOL!!
HD turing seat & low backrest
HD turing rack
SE stage I [off-road] 88ci reprom
SE/K&N aircleaner
SE pro II [off-road] slip-ons

Comeing winter 06/07
103cid
10/1cr
big intake
full head work - port, valves, springs, retainers
roller rockers
geardrive cams
SE clutch
SERT with laptop
2into1 V&H pipe
Thomas Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

StogieC wants to know Dino or Syn?
I love my '03 but sure wish it had the 06 Heads. the '06 heads flow better without a port job...

'03 FXDX
StogieC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

steverxr wants to know Dino or Syn?
06 Dyna

The 06 Dynas are start and go. What more can you ask for? Mine is quite nice.

Messing around with a choke can be dangerous while riding.
steverxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

raig wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2001 FXD that I bought used last summer and it's run just fine with over 10,000 miles, with me putting 3,400+ of the miles on it. Running a carb is not that difficult. Just pull the choke and start it up, I run mine for a few blocks or a mile depending on the temp. then push it in and your done.
Plus if you find a used bike that is stock you can add the stage I yourself and not pay the dealer for minor wrenching.
raig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 03:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

george248 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverxr
Messing around with a choke can be dangerous while riding.

WTF would you be screwing around with the choke while riding for anways?

been riding bikes for 30 of my 35 years and can't ever recall screwing with the choke while riding
george248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.