Oil drain plug location? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Total Nutcase
 
JamieWG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,691
JamieWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Angry Oil drain plug location?

I've got an '06 Dyna Wide Glide. I'd planned to do it's first oil change today, but I found something interesting....

I have the Harley Davidson service manual for the bike, and on page 1-10 there is an illustration showing the bottom of the oil pan. It shows the transmission drain plug as being on the bottom of the pan (facing the ground) and the oil drain plug as being on the side of the pan (facing 9 o'clock when viewing the bike from the rear).

The problem is, the owner's manual shows exactly the opposite. On page 102, there is a photograph of the oil pan. It shows the oil drain plug as being on the bottom of the pan and transmission drain plug as being on the side.

Which one is the oil drain plug??
JamieWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Total Nutcase
 
JamieWG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,691
JamieWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Update

I called a Harley Davidson factory warranty representative at HD headquarters. He looked it up on the computer and talked to a factory tech. The owner's manual for '06 Dynas is incorrect. The oil drain plug is on the side and not on the bottom as the owner's manual states.

I wonder how many people who own new '06 Dynas will inadvertantly drain the transmission and wonder why the engine oil didn't drain out?
JamieWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt
 
atimberwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 282
atimberwolf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for doing the research and posting it.
atimberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
FOG
 
trooper113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,970
trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
I called a Harley Davidson factory warranty representative at HD headquarters. He looked it up on the computer and talked to a factory tech. The owner's manual for '06 Dynas is incorrect. The oil drain plug is on the side and not on the bottom as the owner's manual states.

I wonder how many people who own new '06 Dynas will inadvertantly drain the transmission and wonder why the engine oil didn't drain out?
That's really uncool. I'll bet many folks who change their own oil haven't bought the service manual and rely on the owner's manual to be correct. I know I used the owner's manual the first time I changed fluids.

T113
trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Total Nutcase
 
JamieWG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,691
JamieWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper113
That's really uncool. I'll bet many folks who change their own oil haven't bought the service manual and rely on the owner's manual to be correct. I know I used the owner's manual the first time I changed fluids.

T113

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The HD rep couldn't believe it either. He pulled up both the service manual and owner's manual on his computer and he kept saying, "Wow, I am amazed that no one else has ever noticed this." He said they had not received one call about this and it really surprised him. I wonder if HD will send out the info to people who already own '06 model Dynas.
JamieWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 335
azrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
OK, now I can post about this. I was too embarassed before.

I did this EXACT thing on my first oil change. Follow the owner's manual instructions and drain what I thought was the oil. Out comes 1 quart that hardly looked used.

I drain what I thought was the tranny fluid, out comes about 2.5-3 quarts of dirty oil. Hmmmm. "I must have looked at the manual wrong." This puzzled me for WEEKS.

I told my wife that I really think something is wrong here.

Vindicated. They need to clear this up in a hurry.
azrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
FOG
 
trooper113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,970
trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider
OK, now I can post about this. I was too embarassed before.

I did this EXACT thing on my first oil change. Follow the owner's manual instructions and drain what I thought was the oil. Out comes 1 quart that hardly looked used.

I drain what I thought was the tranny fluid, out comes about 2.5-3 quarts of dirty oil. Hmmmm. "I must have looked at the manual wrong." This puzzled me for WEEKS.

I told my wife that I really think something is wrong here.

Vindicated. They need to clear this up in a hurry.

Perfect example. I hope they send a correction sheet out for all sold/distributed bikes.

T113
trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 181
PowerCobra98 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
I called a Harley Davidson factory warranty representative at HD headquarters. He looked it up on the computer and talked to a factory tech. The owner's manual for '06 Dynas is incorrect. The oil drain plug is on the side and not on the bottom as the owner's manual states.

I wonder how many people who own new '06 Dynas will inadvertantly drain the transmission and wonder why the engine oil didn't drain out?
WOW!!! I'm SO glad you noticed this. I bought the service manual the same day I picked the bike up but I have yet to look at it. I did however read thru the entire owner's manual and according to it, like you stated, the oil plug is on the bottom. I even looked under the bike to see it "in person" just so I would know where it was. If I hadn't have read this thread I'm positive that I never would have looked in the service manual and I would have followed the owner's manual. This seems like a pretty big screw-up to me, or at the very least a big oversite on fact checking.

Now I'll have to find the correct plug on the bike so I know which plug you're talking about for the oil.
PowerCobra98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 335
azrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's the pics from the '06 Dyna Manual.

The transmission plug is actually the oil plug. The oil plug is the transmission plug.



azrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 335
azrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's the diagram from the '06 Dyna Service Manual:

Notice the difference.

azrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Total Nutcase
 
JamieWG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,691
JamieWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCobra98
WOW!!! I'm SO glad you noticed this. I bought the service manual the same day I picked the bike up but I have yet to look at it. I did however read thru the entire owner's manual and according to it, like you stated, the oil plug is on the bottom. I even looked under the bike to see it "in person" just so I would know where it was. If I hadn't have read this thread I'm positive that I never would have looked in the service manual and I would have followed the owner's manual. This seems like a pretty big screw-up to me, or at the very least a big oversite on fact checking.

Now I'll have to find the correct plug on the bike so I know which plug you're talking about for the oil.
The correct drain plug is easy to find. Get down under your bike on the drive belt side. Look up underneath the primary cover. You'll see a 5/8ths hex head bolt that's mounted sideways into the oil pan. If you look a little further under and forward, you'll see the transmission drain bolt that faces the ground. If you're going to change your own oil, you'll need a short 5/8th socket to pull your drain plug. You will also need a strap type oil filter wrench, a 1/2 in and 3/16 in open wrenchs to remove the shift linkage (at the shifter) so you can get the old oil filter out. I highly recomeend stuffing a sheet of thick paper under the oil filter or the front of your engine will be covered in dirty oil. It's not a bad though, took me about 20 minutes. I used just under 3 qts of oil.
JamieWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 181
PowerCobra98 wants to know Dino or Syn?
This thread needs to be made into a Sticky as I'm sure the info contained in it is of substantial knowledge for those with '06 Dyna's who will do their own maintenance.
PowerCobra98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: sioux falls, sd
Posts: 20
grnwng wants to know Dino or Syn?
When ya read the owners manuel, look at the street bob illistration. Ya, many things are not what they should be.
grnwng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Falls, NJ
Posts: 59
fsemeraro wants to know Dino or Syn?
Changing Oil

Ok, now I have a stupid question.


I went to the Harley dealer and asked for Synth oil for my 03 FXD and he said I need 3.9 quarts.

The Service manual for my 03 FXD calls for 2.5 quarts for a regular oil change and 2.9 quarts for an engine rebuild.

This is the first time I am trying this myself and don't want to screw it up.

By the way, my 03 Clymer manual shows the same diagram.

Thanks guys!
__________________
Frank M. Semeraro
Superglide@fsemeraro.com

Last edited by fsemeraro; 10-24-2005 at 02:01 PM.
fsemeraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 335
azrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
The dyna does not take 3.9 quarts for an oil change. 2.9 is more like it.
azrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum