Relocating Turn signals - I'm Pissed! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Runinwolf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Angry Relocating Turn signals - I'm Pissed!

Bike: 2000 Dyna wide glide. I need to move my turn signals back (should have been made that way from Factory!)

Everytime I think I have what I need I don't. I wish I could move the originals back.

Has anyone every pulled this off and had it look good? Where did you run the wires. Has anyone every pulled the wires from the little black plug???

What in the hell do I need for parts and where do I get them....The dealer here has been worthless!

Runinwolf - (Joe)
Runinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
See if this helps any

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I found old post on this....

I will try to use the info from the old post...but if anyone has any photos, please send.

also, how do I get the pins out of the connector?????

thanks everyone.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

Sparkybob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just did this on my '02 FXDWG. I used the 2305 Kuryakin lights. They came with everything you need. They mount with a hollow bolt that the wire runs through back to the stock terminals in the tail light. I had to shorten the bolts a little - just use a hacksaw and ream the end so it doesn't chafe the wire. The black plastic connectors can be removed by inserting a pin or a very small screwdriver, like for eyeglasses. Be patient, it's a pain in the ass! The service manual gives a little info on this. Or you can cut the wire under the fender and use male and female insulated bullet connectors available at radio shack or other places. Check out American Eagle Leatherworks site and go to the galleries. There are a few photos there of an FXDWG with the 2305 Kuryakyn lights, as well as some that show the stock lights moved down to the license plate bracket. (I don't care for the looks of this, but you wouldn't have to buy anything.) Good luck, keep us in the loop.
Sparkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bank Robber

Fangar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runinwolf
Bike: 2000 Dyna wide glide. I need to move my turn signals back (should have been made that way from Factory!)

Everytime I think I have what I need I don't. I wish I could move the originals back.

Has anyone every pulled this off and had it look good? Where did you run the wires. Has anyone every pulled the wires from the little black plug???

What in the hell do I need for parts and where do I get them....The dealer here has been worthless!

Runinwolf - (Joe)
Pretty simple really. The individual wires are not made to pull free from those connectors. It helps if you jack the bike up to get the rear wheel to drop out of the way of the fender. Assuming your 00 is the same as the 03:

Remove the rear tail light lens /cover.

Unplug the signal wires from the rear taillight assembly.

You should be able to completely remove the signals, as the hole in the frame rail, is large enough. You will have to cut the wires to thread them back through the new mounting stem for the signals, as the original location uses two holes (One for the mount, the other for the wires).
Move the signals to the last hole on the side rails, and put them back together. Either solder the wires, or use the crimp connectors that come with the HD kit. Plug the signlas back into the taillight assembly. There are metal (Bendible) tangs under the rear fender, where you can tuck the wires under when you get it back together.

I would be happy to help further if needed.

Fangar
Fangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

black connectors dont pull thru the hole - to big

Has anyone ever pulled the turn siganl wires from the black plug????? I think it can be done.

I am going to drill the bike so I can use the original turn signals.

I will take pics along the way. Will be stronger and look great.

Joe
Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bank Robber

Fangar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Has anyone ever pulled the turn siganl wires from the black plug????? I think it can be done.

I am going to drill the bike so I can use the original turn signals.

I will take pics along the way. Will be stronger and look great.

Joe
I think the relocation kit looks and works just fine. You are going to have a fun time drilling through the chrome rail cover, the frame rail, Sissy bar side plate (if you have one) and the rear fender.

Also, you will have to drill the hole forward of the last hole in the rail, which means the signals will have to be mounted more towards the front end of the bike, than they would with the relocation kit. This would not allow my current bags to clear the signals (See the second photo for clearance issues). I would definately plan and replan with the bags you are mounting, before you re-invent the wheel and start drilling. If you decide to make a go of it keep us posted. Good luck.

Cheers,

Fangar
Fangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

murphdog wants to know where he is and how he got here
I agree with Fanger, nothing wrong with the Harley relocation kit. Just cut your wires and splice them back together under the tail light housing. It is a bear getting the wires through the new hollow stem though. Don't try drilling out the stem to make more room for the wires. It will weaken them and they will snap off when you tighten them down, I know.
murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
DR EVO

otterbob wants to know Dino or Syn?
just did my fatboy for a detachable backrest. pretty easy to do. the connectors that come with the kit are butt splices with built in heat shrink. makes for a good connection. once i figured the one side out i did the other side in a fraction of the time.
otterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rethinking the drilling - would like to though.

Thanks for the advice....I've cooled off and will rethink this. The pics (fangor?) provided are most likely my situation also. Might not fit if I drill.

I did talk to another dealer (i am out of town) and he told me how to get the wires out of the black connector (as I suspected). I will let you know how that works out (i know I will most likely have to cut them anyway.)

I will let you know what I do..........again thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Lunker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Runinwolf - (Joe)

Take a look at what this guy did. He moved the whole taillight assembly to the back license plate holder. I think it looks pretty sharp. There's a pic halfway down the page.

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=50040
Lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
The tail lite connectors have to come off for routining the wire. I cut the wire 15" from the signal. Then using a blade carefully split and remove the black rubber plug and black insulation {optional} from around the wires. Next remove the bulb and pull the reflector & wires from the housing {A tool to remove the reflector from the turn signal housing is the chrome "wireform" from one of those large black paperclips. Remove the bulb, reach inside the reflector with the tool, hook the reflector {both sides} and ease it out. Its not real easy but it works.} This should give you the reflector, wires attached. Route the wires as needed into the fender area, solder and heat shrink them. Use the black plug in the kit for the exta hole in the lite housing.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement