What Are The Best Wide Glide Shocks? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2004, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Katttfishh wants to know Dino or Syn?
What Are The Best Wide Glide Shocks?

I weigh 250# and I bottom out the stock shocks pretty easy. Need a better shock that will handle weight better.
Thanks
Katttfishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

nidan wants to know Dino or Syn?
My Vote is for Progressives . I weigh about 210 with out gear . I've ridden the 418's even 2' shorter and no bottoming and smoot as silk. On my FXDWG3 I have the low profile HD shocks ( 1" shorter) which are made by FOX , no bottoming , but the progressives ride smoother . Watch E-bay you can usually pick up a good deal there.

2009 FJR 1300
nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

fxdwg2005 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have heard nothing but good things about Progressive, and in particular the 440 IAS's... thats what I plan on putting on my WG
fxdwg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Gunxddslinger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another vote for the 440's. I've got them on my Road King and they're great. I have the HD "Profile Low" shocks (Made by FOX) on my Wide Glide though and they also work very well. I'm 200# so were close. No complaints with either one. They look similar as well.....

Tony
Gunxddslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

AustinFXDWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm 220#, and don't bottom, even with my wife on the back. So, let me ask you a dumb question, have you tried adjusting the preload adjustment on your rear shocks to position 4 or 5 vs 1 which is the way they come from the factory?

I second and third the suggestions for the Progressives is you want to replace the stock shocks. The 440s give a better ride, though I don't think there's much difference than stock in their ability to prevent bottoming as that is a function of the spring, not the shock.

2003 Dyna Wide-Glide' SE203 Cam, Mikuni HSR42 Carb, SE AC, SE-II Slipons, S&S Intelligent Spark Ignition, Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators / Springs, HB125 Tensioner, Passing Lamps, Mustang Touring Solo, Passing lamps
2013 FLTRU Road Glide - Gutless Cat and MadStad windshield
2012 Triumph Tiger800XC, too many farkles to list.
AustinFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

How do you adjust the fuggin things? I looked at them and couldnt see how they adjust. I have Progressives on my old fxr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFXDWG
I'm 220#, and don't bottom, even with my wife on the back. So, let me ask you a dumb question, have you tried adjusting the preload adjustment on your rear shocks to position 4 or 5 vs 1 which is the way they come from the factory?

I second and third the suggestions for the Progressives is you want to replace the stock shocks. The 440s give a better ride, though I don't think there's much difference than stock in their ability to prevent bottoming as that is a function of the spring, not the shock.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mike G(wah_wah_wah) wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb

You need a spanner wrench available at the local stealer. You turn the shock clockwise to increase the preload which makes them stiffer. Start at full soft and work your way up one step at a time.

I'm 250# and mine are in the second (one stiffer than full soft) position and I have no issues. When I take the OL, about 120# I put them in the stiffest position and again no problems.

If I were going to change I would go with the Progressive 440, they are the best.
Mike G(wah_wah_wah) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

ibrowse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Progressive!
ibrowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

I will try this. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G
You need a spanner wrench available at the local stealer. You turn the shock clockwise to increase the preload which makes them stiffer. Start at full soft and work your way up one step at a time.

I'm 250# and mine are in the second (one stiffer than full soft) position and I have no issues. When I take the OL, about 120# I put them in the stiffest position and again no problems.

If I were going to change I would go with the Progressive 440, they are the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement