cleaning INside of speedo glass : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

ratrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
cleaning INside of speedo glass

Has anyone taken a speedo or tach apart to clean the inside of the glass? A very small bug got into my speedo crawled around, left tracks up and down the glass and still sits there motionless and dehydrated looking. Service manual says disassemble from the back. Is this easy/possible?

02 FXDX
ratrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

baroth1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrider
Has anyone taken a speedo or tach apart to clean the inside of the glass? A very small bug got into my speedo crawled around, left tracks up and down the glass and still sits there motionless and dehydrated looking. Service manual says disassemble from the back. Is this easy/possible?

02 FXDX
The only way I have found to do this is to VERY carefully bend the lip on the back of the bezel a little at a time. Keep working it up until you are able to pull the bezel off the gauge easily. If you can't remove it easily, you will more than likely break the glass and/or bend the bezel. When you accomplish this (it is possible - I have done it), clean the glass, and then push the bezel and glass back into position. Sit the gauge upside down on a cloth covered table. Slowly work the lip back down, while pushing down hard on the back of the gauge (to make sure the rubber seals up good between the glass and the gauge). I finished up by taking a 1/2 socket and using it to 'roll' the lip as flat as possible. If you can find an old gauge to practice on, it will be well wworth it. Resist any temptation to remove the needle as you probably won't get it back on in the right position. Good luck.
baroth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talking

My suggestion is to send it to a speedo repair shop. The guys that fix the old, antique, and complicated type speedo's. It takes specialized tools to remove the lip around the glass and get it back together looking right.
I've only seen one guy attempt it and although it went back together, it leaked worse then before and it never looked right despite my diligence. Yep that dope was me!!! I ended up buying a new speedo. $300.00.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Didn't wanna hear that

One of these days I gotta try it. Have not looked at it closely yet. Wanted the feedback before I went where I shouldn't. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Rockbiter wants to know Dino or Syn?
heh, i've had a dead bug in my speedo for 3 years...and yup, he looks mighty thirsty....

I'm not yet at the exact level of boredom required to taste the cat.

'04 TC103 FXD
SE 4.375" Stroker Crank
SE 3.875" Flat top Pistons
SE 211 cams
Modified/Revalved Chevy Lifters
SE A/C
SE 2 Slip-Ons
Big City Thunder TMSEII Baffles
SE 6200 RPM Ignition module
SE Clutch spring
White Bros E-Z clutch release
LMR2 oil pressure spring
Rockbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Allsco Paint wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had water spots inside the glass on my 04' FXDI speedo since I bought it in March. Drives me crazy when the sun hits it just right.
If somebody figures out how to get it apart to clean, please let us know.
Allsco Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

I don't believe this

Out riding today on some nice country roads and being a good law abiding citizen I occasionally look at my speedo and tach. HOLY WTF there is something black in my tach. Pulled over for a closer look and there sitting about 2 grand is a black spider about 3/8 inch long. Dang thing has hung webbing from the needle to the edges and back a dozen times.

I know there is a small hole in the back of both units but I never paid much attention- thought they were resets. Can I plug these? I sure don't want a squirrel crawling in there. Hell, now I really have to take these apart.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Rockbiter wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you have a squirrel in your speedo, you have bigger problems than how to open it up...lol

to seal the holes try clear silicone RTV, works on most anything

I'm not yet at the exact level of boredom required to taste the cat.

'04 TC103 FXD
SE 4.375" Stroker Crank
SE 3.875" Flat top Pistons
SE 211 cams
Modified/Revalved Chevy Lifters
SE A/C
SE 2 Slip-Ons
Big City Thunder TMSEII Baffles
SE 6200 RPM Ignition module
SE Clutch spring
White Bros E-Z clutch release
LMR2 oil pressure spring
Rockbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Yup,I got RTV. But what is dem hos fo. The manual page 8-45 shows the tach back plate with only 2 screw hos yet both my speedo and tach have a 1/8" extree ho. That manual isn't 100% accurate. Heck, i can't remember seeing screws in the back plate.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Air and drainage. Can't stop intermittent moisture unless you send unit to a speedo shop and have it completely sealed, and they still don't guaranty it won't let air in while vibrating at idle etc.

Has worked for two years so far though!
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement