Installed the 12" touring air shocks : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
Installed the 12" touring air shocks

on my FLD today.. had them on my wide glide last year and finally got around to putting them on the FLD.. put 10wt oil in them last year and they made a night and day difference on the glide..

already noticed that just like on the wide glide the bike sits about
1/2" lower... fully expect the ride to be much improved over the stock shocks..
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtdobber wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been thinking about doing this on my wife's wide glide.

dd
Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
I have been thinking about doing this on my wife's wide glide.

dd
you cant go wrong... best riding shocks for the wide glide out there in my book. on the FLD with the bags, all of my crap in them and the tourpack i am at 15lbs using 10wt oil, i need to drop it to about 13 and i think it will be perfect..

also if you do go this route you definitely need to change out the shock oil as the touring bikes come with 5wt which on the dynas due to shock angle isn't heavy enough, i found 10wt to be perfect on the wide glide and now on the switchback
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

longer ride follow up,

they work exactly how they did on the wide glide handling is not affected at all
and the ride is so S-M-O-O-T-H..... and bike is at least 1/2 lower than with the stock shocks, for us short people that is a major plus...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

benzrod wants to know Dino or Syn?
hi dirtdobber, did you retain the stock exhaust on the FDL? The air cleaner looked like it had been changed. How does the bike feel between 2800 and 3200 RPM, and if no bad vibration, how did you solve the problem?
benzrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dbrow6272 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a very short inseam even though I am 6' tall. I had 11" shocks installed on my FLHTCU and also had the seat cut down and a gel pad inserted. Fits perfectly now. Never thought about changing the oil in them though. How is that accomplished?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Warrior72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you buy the shocks used? How hard was it to swap out the oil in the shocks? Did you do a write up on the install for the Wide Glide? Sorry for all the questions but I have considered doing this to my Super Glide.
Warrior72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

bought the shocks off of another HD forum for $90 shipped, they are the 12" street glide shocks.. but they turn up on eBay all the time pretty cheap, you also want the later model shocks as they are designed to hold more air than early on, i believe 2006 was the change over year..

here is a list that someone compiled of part #s and sizes, makes it easier to shop the sites and eBay
54532-85 13"
54536-02A 13"
54540-93 13"
54565-09 FLH FLHT FLHR FLHTI 13" (G5E3-00)
54565-97 (A) FLH 13"
54565-97 (B) 13"
54565-97 (C) 13"
54631-02B Road king FLHRS or FLHX or FLTRX 12" shock pair "low profile"
54632-98 bagger 12" or 12.5
54635-09 12"
54661-02A Road King FLHR Street Glide 12" single shock "lowered"
54662-09 street glide 11.5"

there are many different ways to change the oil listed on various sites online but for me the easiest was to pull the fittings and hang them upside down on a slight angle, got 11oz out of one shock and 10.4oz out of the other.. the box they came in had oil residue in it so i assume that's where the other.6oz went. refilled each with 11oz of 10wt bel ray shock oil and as i said the ride has been amazing to say the least..

since my bags are removable instead of air lines i went with 2 separate schrader valves because i didn't want to see the lines with the bags off the bike, i picked them up at ace hardware for $2.99 each and they work great..

only other thing i can add is if you go the air shock route make sure you buy a shock pump that does 1lb increments so you can dial them in, a lot of the pumps listed on eBay
only do 2lb increments..
this is the one i bought nearly 2 years ago and it still works great
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Shock-Pu...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Warrior72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the information, the search begins.
Warrior72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD1C View Post
i am at 15lbs using 10wt oil, also if you do go this route you definitely need to change out the shock oil as the touring bikes come with 5wt which on the dynas due to shock angle isn't heavy enough, i found 10wt to be perfect on the wide glide and now on the switchback
I quess my brain ain't working, why would the touring have lighter weight oil in them, wouldn't that make them rebound to easy. Do you know the weight of the oil in the 2011 touring shocks, thanks
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtdobber wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzrod View Post
hi dirtdobber, did you retain the stock exhaust on the FDL? The air cleaner looked like it had been changed. How does the bike feel between 2800 and 3200 RPM, and if no bad vibration, how did you solve the problem?

FDL?
I have a SG and a WG or FLHXSE3 and a FXDWG
The wide glide has a vibration up to 2,500rpm but that's the cams
At 2,800 rpm's it will pull your arms out of socket, Well almost LOl
The AC is the open ac
The SG has the stock AC with K&N filter.

dd
hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

scudda wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been looking at doing the same thing on my 1995 FXDL. This just made up my mind!!
V&H Short Shots
Kuryakyn Mach 2 Air Cleaner
CV Carb with CV performance Kit
scudda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gearhead

2wheelrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Very good write up! thatks for the info!
2wheelrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdna65 View Post
I quess my brain ain't working, why would the touring have lighter weight oil in them, wouldn't that make them rebound to easy. Do you know the weight of the oil in the 2011 touring shocks, thanks
it has to do with shock angle.. from what i understand ALL of the touring bikes come with 5wt and the only difference is the earlier models can only take 25lbs of air while the late model bikes can go to 50lbs
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Jbco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have them on my 2011fxdb, they are the longer touting ones.
I did lots of trials to get them suited to my taste air pressure-wise.The idea was to have them while I waited from my custom shocks to get here.
Now, I think I am going to keep them.

Joe
Jbco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.