Ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Super Glide. Advice please : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

John Adams wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Super Glide. Advice please

I've been puttering around for six months on an 04 883 Sportster (first H-D) I bought nine months ago and was my first ride in fifteen years. I got it as an "intro" back into riding. Now I want to get my next bike that will last me the rest of my riding life, hopefully as I'm pushing 55.

Not a big guy, 5'7" and 170 lbs. I've settled on a Super Glide if I can find one locally (DFW) in black, although I like red, blue and yellow too. For you SG owners, what do you love about the model and what have been your disappointments, if any. Any regrets? Will it be day and night difference from the 04 Sportster?

Thanks!

John
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Welcome John .....
It'll be an easy transition for you.
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

esrevnoc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, you will be very pleased w/ the difference. Not as nimble turning as the sporty but just as fun to throw around. I went down from a Road King because it was just too big for parking and traffic situations. Considered a Sportster, test rode a couple and was getting ready to make the move but the dealer had a 2 year old Street Bob that had never been sold for a price I couldn't pass up. I'm your size and couldn't be happier with the choice. Easy to move around, plenty of power, heavy enough for the wind and highway traffic. Consider a short windshield to take the wind pressure off of your chest but can still see over the top, makes a big difference. Good luck finding the black that you are looking for.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Welcome to the forum. This will be a nice ride for you. The seat may need replaced if you ride more then a few miles. No negatives to discuss, nice bike. I have owned a couple SG's over the years, now my Dyna choice is the street bob. I am 6 foot, so it's low for me (compared to my RKC), but a fun, nimble and very comfy ride. Check the Street Bob out.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

barrett_kenney wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2012 Super Glide. I love it. Smooth ride, plenty of power out of the 96" twin cam, love all the chrome goodys too. Only drawbacks I can think of are the mid controls. Im 5' 11" and my legs get a little cramped on long rides, and if your going to ride a passanger get a better seat if those rides are over an hour long. Other than that you'll love it.

P.s. looks real good in black.

Last edited by barrett_kenney; 12-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
barrett_kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks guys! I am still eying a few other models including the Street Bob but will probably go for a black Super Glide. Debating now on the ABS and security option. I'm a careful rider and won't leave the bike anywhere it's really at risk of theft. It'll be locked in the garage at all times when not out.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

hd4evr2008 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Owned two Electra Glides and just traded a Road King Classic for my 2011 FXDC. I needed forward controls to stretch out with, then did the Stage One, but the bike is basically stock. I love this bike! Best motorcycle Harley makes! It TRULY is a "do it all" bike! Baggers are too one dimensional, and the FXDC will tour, cruise, hot rod, commute, and DEFINITELY brings a smile to my face every time I ride it! Something that the baggers didn't do for me at all. And besides that......it's the best looking motorcycle Harley makes, IMHO!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I love my Dyna SGS
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

stratfxdl wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got back into riding in 1998 with a 96 Sportster. I bought a new FXDL in 2004. It is a much different ride than the Sportster and I am able to ride it a lot farther and a lot longer than the Sporty. The FXDL came with mid-controls but the highway pegs were standard. If I bought another Dyna I think I would make it just like that. It really helps to be able to move your legs around if you are going to ride all day. LIke you, I am planning for this to be my last HD. The new ones seem to keeping calling, though. Good luck on your search.
1996 Harley Davidson 1200C sold
1966 Honda 160CL sold
stratfxdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

splitting_lanes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Superglide is the way to go to flexibility - I go from one up commuting to two up cross country touring on mine... I love it!

put aside some money to purchase the options that you want -- a lot of items can be had on ebay for less. the Superglide sells for a couple grand less than the others, but it's missing things you'll probably want. Feel free to PM me if you want ideas or suggestions.

the most important thing about a harley: Ride it!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

tburns wants to know Dino or Syn?
My second Harley was a '92 883. I loved that bike. Then came a 1200 then a softtail Deluxe and next a 2010 Heritage, now a 2010 Ultra which I love.
It's a disease we all have and there is no cure.
Colors don't matter but I suggest you give the Heritage a try before you go with the Glide.
The Superglide will smoke it but you get bags and a quick release windshield with the Heritage. And the softtail sits really low.
I'm 5'8" and could plant both feet on the ground barefooted. Also, the Heritage has a nice fat FL front end. On the Interstate and at higher speeds you'll appreciate the way it plants itself down the road. Those rain grooves in highways can play havoc with narrow front ends and tires, believe me.

Last edited by tburns; 12-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
tburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I find the Dyna's have a lower center of gravity then a sportster, so they will corner differently.
When I got off my sporty, I went strait to a Touring bike (E-glide) and i find the two bike handle very similar so if your wanting a bigger bike, do take the time to test ride a touring model (It doesn't matter if it's a Road king or E-glide, the frames are all the same).

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

I picked it up today guys! Yellow '13 Super Glide. I rode it home 23 miles, parked it in the garage and now have to leave for four days first thing in the morn :-( Torture! I want to ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	75200  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dirtdreamer50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Congrats on the new ride. Love the yellow. Went through four Harleys before I got happy with my Custom. I know you will love it. I went with the Harley sundowner seat and it made a world of riding difference. Enjoy the bike and be glad you live in Texas, where we can ride most year round... tomp dd50
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Very nice John ....... Congratulations!
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement