Thunderheader : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Bprigge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thunderheader

Hello Everybody,
Been shopping for a used Thunderheader for my 96 FXD and I'm still unclear about year model interchangeability. I think all the Dyna 5 speed units may be the same but use different mounting bits? I've been on the Thunderheader web site and read a bunch of old posts here, must be just getting to old to understand simple things. Anybody clear on what will bolt up to a 96 FXD? Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Bruce.
Bprigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you look at
http://www.thunderheader.net/ex.html
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thunderheader

93horse, according to that website the 96 Dyna's need a 1022 header. The problem is that the guys that are selling a usd set on Craig's list or ebay don't post the part number, they just post something like "came off a 2002 wide glide". There's actually quite a few used ones out there, especially in California. I guess I'll just have to hold out for one that's off a 93 to 98 Dyna like the 1022 fits. Thanks for the reply, Bruce
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good luck. I have Thunderheaders on my 93FLHTP and like the performance.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

748*2Risk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have one on my '03 FXDX and really like what it did for the low end of the bike.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys, still researching this. It's starting to look like any 5 speed dyna chassis Thunder header will fit if you got the right mounting bits. Think I'm going to call their tech support people and see what they say. Some of the adds for used units are claiming that there's will fit any Dyna. Bruce
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well heck, looked on the Thunderheader website today to find a way to talk to their tech support people and came away pretty discouraged. It appears they only talk to dealers. So I bought a V & H Pro Pipe instead, a new one with heat shields for what I was willing to pay for a good used Thunderheader. My Indy runs a Pro Pipe and highly recommended it.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bprigge View Post
So I bought a V & H Pro Pipe instead, a new one with heat shields for what I was willing to pay for a good used Thunderheader. My Indy runs a Pro Pipe and highly recommended it.
Well, there's the silver lining.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gearhead

2wheelrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
The oregnal pro pipe hs is a good pipe designed to make power. The pro pipe BP (Blue proof) is another story....
2010 street glide....FOR SALE
2wheelrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Header

I got the HS version, just picked it up yesterday, very pretty piece of hardware. I'm assuming HS in the part number means heat shields. Now I just need to get some shop time to work on my own stuff. I'm an auto mechanic and it seems everbody elses stuff gets priority. It will be months before the snow pack is off the roads up here so there's no hurry I guess. Bruce
Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

apbtlvr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Th

I see you found a pipe but I'm answering this for any others that may be considering a TH. All dyna TH 1993-2013 are the same except the switchback. The only difference 1993-1998 use one style bracket. 1999 up use a different bracket. 2006 up have O2 sensors. And to make it more confusing 1993-2013 will fit FXR's with mid mount pegs.
apbtlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks apbtlvr, that's exactly the info I was looking for. There's a LOT of Thunderheaders for sale used on Craigslist for anybody that's interested in picking one up. There's a heavy conentration of them out on the west coast. If you happen to have an iPAD the Craiglist app will let you search multiple cities at the same time, I suppose the iPhone app will too. Some are listed as Thunderheader and some are listed as Thunder Header, you won't show adds for both spellings with one search string, gotta do them both. Bruce
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Heathen68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I always wanted to have a Thunderheader so I got one for 250 with a heat shield and a bracket but when I went to have it powdercoated with high temp he recommended that it needed to be repaired first, cos the lower pipe was scraped/dented to much.By the time I have it shipped I think I might still break even with the price of having bought a new one.Plus, I'll have a much better finish than a stock Thunderheader!
Heathen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

748*2Risk wants to know Dino or Syn?
After about six months that dent will be back in the lower pipe. I just sprayed the back of my TH with high temp paint and wrapped the front with black header wrap.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Heathen68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yeah, your right. I'll probably end up wrapping them too.
Heathen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement