Oil pan busted or? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

EastBayDyna510 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil pan busted or?

So today i was riding my 2001 fxdl and hopped onto the freeway and there was a pot hole in the road. it was covered with what looks like a steel plate? i don't know what they use, but it had quite a lip on it. having a stock fxdl my bike is low as ****. I couldn't get over into the next lane to avoid it so i just accelerated while standing up slightly to try and glide over it. it totally wasn't enough and i hit it pretty hard. When i got home and parked my bike i forgot to check right away for a oil pan leak. an hour later there was a very small puddle leak, maybe the diameter of a 12oz soda can. it seems like it hit the bottom left corner where the sideways drain plug is for the oil. it is leaking from there.

i tightened the bolt a little, hope that wasn't a mistake...

i cleaned it off to check for more oil drips. only found 1-3 drops an hour later.

does anyone know if it is still safe to ride around if it doesn't leak? being thanksgiving the local bike shop is closed so i'll try and call them on the weekend or next week before i ride my bike anywhere else.
EastBayDyna510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you seriously believe that this pot hole / steel plate (?) caused damage to your oil pan / bike their would likely be visible damage. Inspect the entire underside.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Document exactly what, when & where this happened, with an estimate of the damages and get it in the mail {cetified} to Caltrans...
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcats View Post
document exactly what, when & where this happened, with an estimate of the damages and get it in the mail {cetified} to caltrans...
a+ ......
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bprigge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Drips

I would get the brightest light I could find and inspect the bottom of the bike too, especially around where the outer and inner primary cases mate. A leak anywhere would flow to the low side when parked on it's side stand so you want to look at the whole underside for damage. Personally I would ride it as long as I new there was adequate oil in the primary and engine oil tank. I'm not say'n you should ride it, i'm say'n I would. Good thing you didn't end up on the ground!! Bruce
Bprigge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

nvsteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcats View Post
Document exactly what, when & where this happened, with an estimate of the damages and get it in the mail {cetified} to Caltrans...
Ditto and go back and take a pic.
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Dave in Texas wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would not go toolin' around on it until it was looked at by an experienced Harley mechanic with a critical-eye. The highway dept is not going to do anything since this sort of thing would prolly be considered a road-hazzard and the bike being so close to the ground etc.
Get the bike repaired and count yourself lucky nothing worse happened to it or you. Good luck.
CVP Tuner carb kit
Andrews Hyd kit w/21n cams
Ohins shocks, Intiminators in forks.
Mustang Vintage Solo & Pass seat
15" WindVest
J&S Dyna lift
Dave in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Damages...

Try this...http://www.dot.ca.gov/damageclaims.htm
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dusturbd wants to know Dino or Syn?
DOT may pay for damages just depends on where you live and the circumstances
My mother got paid over a 1k from the city of Orlando DOT for 2 rims on here car due to a pothole
dusturbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

RustyG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Get yourself a large mirror and place it under the bike as far as it will go. This, along with a good light source, should give you a good view of the undersides. I use a mirror than is 3 feet square. Bought it at Target for about $10.

John

2002 Road King Classic w. 103" Stroker
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA (Gone but not forgotten)
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

sweeno wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good luck trying to take the oil pan off yourself. I had a very similar thing happen to me and took it off and had it welded and it sucks bad trying to get it off and back on.
sweeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

rbearden56 wants to know where he is and how he got here
I wouldn't ride it until you had it looked at and repaired. You don't really know where the crack or fracture is and that fact you made it home is luck. The last thing you need is for the damage spread leading to a larger leak while you are on the road. Leaking oil and tires don't mix well at all.
Be smart, have it looked at, get a quote for the worse case scenario and file a claim with cal trans. That may take some time but get the leak fixed as soon as possible.

Remember if can go wrong, it will, at the worst possible time with the worst possible consequences.
rbearden56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDyna510 View Post
So today i was riding my 2001 fxdl and hopped onto the freeway and there was a pot hole in the road. it was covered with what looks like a steel plate? i don't know what they use, but it had quite a lip on it. having a stock fxdl my bike is low as ****. I couldn't get over into the next lane to avoid it so i just accelerated while standing up slightly to try and glide over it. it totally wasn't enough and i hit it pretty hard. When i got home and parked my bike i forgot to check right away for a oil pan leak. an hour later there was a very small puddle leak, maybe the diameter of a 12oz soda can. it seems like it hit the bottom left corner where the sideways drain plug is for the oil. it is leaking from there.

i tightened the bolt a little, hope that wasn't a mistake...

i cleaned it off to check for more oil drips. only found 1-3 drops an hour later.

does anyone know if it is still safe to ride around if it doesn't leak? being thanksgiving the local bike shop is closed so i'll try and call them on the weekend or next week before i ride my bike anywhere else.
OK EastBayDyna510.... what's up?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.