98 SuperGlide-how do I get ign module out? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sobrbiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
98 SuperGlide-how do I get ign module out?

I've got a new to me 1998 FXD that I just came across a SE ign module for. I figured I'd pop the side cover off and swap out modules and coils. What I wasn't expecting was to find the module on the inside plate.
Is there an easy way to get at the module or do I need to remove the outer plate and all thats attached to it then undo inner plate that's secured to the threaded studs attached to frame?

I know I need a manual, I'm looking to secure one locally but if not does anyone know a good download site of searchable pdf version in the meantime?
sobrbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Dave in Texas wants to know Dino or Syn?
I too was going to change to an SE module, until I kept reading about all the bad news on them. A lot of faulty ones, so I forgot about it.
Check Amazon for the '98 FXD Service Manual(pt #99481-98). I found 8.
'download' manuals are a rip. don't waste your time/money. get the real thing.
CVP Tuner carb kit
Andrews Hyd kit w/21n cams
Ohins shocks, Intiminators in forks.
Mustang Vintage Solo & Pass seat
15" WindVest
J&S Dyna lift
Dave in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks Dave! I got a great deal on a module and SE coil, and I've had good luck with them on other bikes. The part came off a running bike from a friend of mine, and was cheap enough that if the module's bad and the coil's good its a win, and vice-versa. I now need a 7pin-8pin adapter as it came off his 95 Dyna.

All modules can go toast, and I've found the biggest culprit is folks not disconnecting battery and frying them on hookup. Also, always keep the stock module handy as a backup on long runs. I'll be going to a Crane Fireball Hi-4 module as soon as I can afford it (forgot to swap my Softail back to stock when I sold it ).

Found a searchable service manual download to use while I wait on the stealer to get mine in.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks for your service by the way!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is no easy way other than take the inner plate off. I have found in the past just to remove the outer plates bolts and leave it loose and work the inner plate off and you can still change it without messing with all the wires.
Use some type of thread lubricant and it goes back together easily.
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement