Am I all done riding? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
WFO

mtrhead269 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hope u feel better soon. Good vibes heading your way

Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Hand strength after a neck injury is a two year window. You hope for 75% after a year and then the rest over the next year. PT is going to be something you'll want to be doing.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

KEYBEAR wants to know where he is and how he got here
Am I all done riding?

As we get older a lot of the things we did to our body over the years start to show up . I,m 65 years old and this is part of my list .

1985 I had a Kidney Transplant . in 1996 both knees replaced .
1998 both shoulders rebuilt . Also the last ten years Skin Cancer .

Today I,m as good as I was at 25 years old . A little slower but a lot smarter . My full time job is to take care of this old body .

You can come back if you have the will . (All it takes is work) ?
You will need to work every day to get better /stronger .

I walk 3 miles and ride my bike 5 miles every day 365 days a year .
I also lift weights every day not big weights 10 to 50 lb. is all you need .

Good luck and God Bless KEYBEAR
KEYBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Bad Disposition wants to know Dino or Syn?
Be patient, be careful, and get strong. If I can do it, so can you.

God Bless,

BD
Bad Disposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

NJ Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
lrodptl;
I have degenerative disc disease. So far the best thing Iv'e been able to do for it is exercise at the gym and diet (don't get too fat). The exercise will strengthen the muscles around the discs and make it less painful over time. This keeps the pain down, but yes, the arm/hands numbness is tough to deal with.
Another thing is shoes. Get something with soft soles and maybe gel pads in the heel.
Mines progressed to the point that it's starting to affect my riding time, wish I could ride like I did in the 80's.

Good luck to you.
NJ Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
unfortunately if you have a stenosis or pressure on the nerve from the ruptured disc the only thing that will fix it permanently is surgery..

but that still doesnt mean you are done, damaged 4 discs in my neck and 3 in thoracic region 5.5 years ago and ended up finally with
with a 2 level cervical disc fusion last february and im still able to ride

Last edited by 1HD1C; 10-21-2012 at 09:55 AM.
1HD1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
5 for fighting!

lrodptl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD1C View Post
unfortunately if you have a stenosis or pressure on the nerve from the ruptured disc the only thing that will fix it permanently is surgery..

but that still doesnt mean you are done, damaged 4 discs in my neck and 3 in thoracic region 5.5 years ago and ended up finally with
with a 2 level cervical disc fusion last february and im still able to ride
I don't know if I quite agree. Stenosis yes but not bulges or ruptures. Most get absorbed or resolve. I had microdiskectomy 11 years ago but refused the 2 level fusion. He said you'll be back in 2 years max. It took 11 and the pain is subsided mostly though the weakness and numbness remains. I'm looking to avoid it again. Rebuildyourback.com
lrodptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
I don't know if I quite agree. Stenosis yes but not bulges or ruptures. Most get absorbed or resolve. I had microdiskectomy 11 years ago but refused the 2 level fusion. He said you'll be back in 2 years max. It took 11 and the pain is subsided mostly though the weakness and numbness remains. I'm looking to avoid it again. Rebuildyourback.com
then i would say you had a mild herniation as they have been known to reabsorb but you still have a weak area where the damage was initially.

the 2 that i had to have repaired were major herniations and didn't re-absorb in fact they got worse. in my case i had to have shots every 5-6 months to take the swelling down.. as i said i got to the point that i had constant numbness and hand strength was gone..

am i 100% no way but i can tell you it is a hell of a lot better than it was and i can pull the clutch in with ease so i can still RIDE!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
FNG :)

Sleezy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I broke my left hand in a crash several years ago. It still has a pin and some screws in it. The hand is very sensitive and can take time to heal. Get some physio and exercise it properly. I am back riding and training in kung fu. If it's any consolation my injury is more likely to cause arthritis in the future than yours is due to mine being an actual hand injury. You could also look into herbal remedies rather than load up on the usual medications that medical doctors push on you.
Sleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

WVChrome wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't give in.

I had a bad accident and bulged L2L3, bulged L3L4, and a total herniation (bilaterally with root nerve compression no less) L4L5. Different part of the spine, but the mechanics aren't different.

I had to have surgery, followed by 5 months of intense PT. When I was discharged from PT, I was only really 60% of my pre-injury self and still wasn't pain free. I was told I'd keep making gains on my own, doing the exercises I had been provided. I didn't. I was seeing too many things taken away from me, things I loved doing. I grew frustrated and depressed.

Finally, I got fed up and decided to do something. I went back to PT, this time at a different office. That PT found another problem, at the same level, that actually contributed to my injury. We began treating that a month ago. I'm back to 90% today.

Keep fighting. Everyday. Do the PT they tell you, give it time to work, but don't accept it if there is no improvement in a couple of months.

Later,
Chrome...
WVChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #26 (permalink)

bccajun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Keep the faith, hang in there, u will ride again!
2006 Destroyer
bccajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #27 (permalink)

semicrazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hang in there bro! I blew out the disc between C5&6 back in 2000 Y2K you know. I couldn't even turn a doorknob. I Had surgery around St. Paddy's day (morphine and darvon beat green beer any day) and was back to work in 6 weeks. The healing process works best if you follow your rehab plan. They gave me these rubber strips of various resistance to work out with. I had a cervical laminectomy which removed the hardened disc material that was pushing on the nerve root. I hear ya on the pain part and it was gone after the surgery. I wear a light DOT half helmet when riding and have no problems taking a 200 mi. put.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #28 (permalink)

dmassey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Thanks,I usually exhaust every avenue and they usually want to do surgery!
Surgery should be saved as a last resort. No guarantees and things could actually turn out worse than before surgery. The alternative therapies are certainly worth a try and many times they work and get the person back to a good functinal state.
dmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

skitz43 wants to know Dino or Syn?
About 16yrs ago i had a tendon cut on my left wrist & had very little strength in it. My son found a product made by a company called AMP research. It is a clutch assist,mounts on mirror stem & on clutch piece. Came in black or chrome,not that it matters. It did cut effort by 50 %. I also read that there is special clutch almost like auto out there. I say a video on it. Pretty cool ,guy goes thru gears only using throttle. Just can"t remember where i saw it.
Cycle shack slip ons
K&N sucker
Smoke tail lite & signals
Custom made sissy bar
Avon Grips
Saddle bags
Custom cut windshield
skitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

Lugoffscfld wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Ruptured a disk in my neck 6 weeks ago and the pain (cry for your mama type pain) is gone but my left hand has significant weakness. Just discovered I can't pull the clutch in. I know I have a healing window of about 6 months for that cervical nerve root but if this is the best it'll be does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. Panicking!!
4 years ago I was injured in a workplace accident where a forklift driver dropped a 1 ton crate of automobile parts on me. After a month in the hospital just recouping I found that I had loss 80% of use of my left arm. Come to find out that the Brachial Plexius nerve to my left arm was damaged. Second that the nerve that runs from C6-C7 was being pinched causing my middle two fingers to go dead. It took two years for the nerves to reintervate and now have 85% use of my arm again. Brother all I can say keep your spirits up, from what the doctors told me is that your nerves regrow at a rate of 1 inch every few months. The body is an amazing machine, it will try and heal itself

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Lugoffscfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement