FXDWG Passenger Foot Peg Symmetry : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

soeastbiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXDWG Passenger Foot Peg Symmetry

...or the lack thereof.
We've recently added a sweet, aped up, '98 Wide Glide to keep the Ultra company, and to give us a retro-ride for around town, and to sort of take a trip back to the good old days.
I was moving bikes around to sweep the garage/bar, when I leaned over from the rear of the sissy bar and looked down and saw that the passenger pegs were not symmetrical.
The left peg needs to be moved out away from the mount or frame about 2".
I did a search of this forum, and the rest of the 'net, nothing.
I've hit a search link http://www.adhuntr.com to check this out, and looked at every good shot of a '98 WG and they're all the same, lacking symmetry.
No one has had their passenger make mention of this, or noticed any dimples in the rear of the primary cover?
The previous owners either weren't aware of it, or didn't know any better.
The bike is slammed in he a$$ end and hasn't got a lot of travel in the short shocks, so she's a rough ride on bad roads.
I noticed recently that the SO was leaning a little to the right and I asked her if she was and why, she said her butt got out of alignment after the last bump.
I told her line that thing back up.
Every time it has happened, it's the same direction, so I know it's because she's not able to have her legs equally symmetrical.
When I searched this forum and found a post; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...nger-pegs.html that said basically the same thing, but the answer seems to always be Kuryakyn when you Google the issue.
I stopped by the Kuryakyn tent at Ocean City Bike Week on the 16th with several pics on my phone of what I'm describing, and the rep directed me to some adapter that wouldn't work.
I have this http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5300106 Spur(?) theme all over the entire bike, grips, shifter, brake pedal, and both sets of pegs.
I don't think that I want to replace all of that, just to move that left passenger peg out 2".
Short of paying through the nose to have a piece of 2" steel stock machined to fit between the two halves of the peg mount, does anyone have a clue if someone already produces such a critter, that only requires longer bolts?
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

33 looks, and ain't no one gotta a hint fer me?

I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat.

Ya'll want twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
one is to be used as evidence. Pictures of the approach,
the getaway, the northwest corner the southwest corner
and that's not to
mention the aerial photography. - Alice's Restaurant, sorta.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfoos wants to know Dino or Syn?
What kind of oil does Alice recommend for her Harley-owning customers?

Aside from that, I've got nothing to add since I don't ride an FXDWG. But I will go check the measurements of the rears pegs of my FXDL because you've got me curious now.

Well, again not that it helps your situation, but my FXDL passenger pegs are both symmetrical in height and orientation. They both are about 13.75" from the floor on the centerline and the ends of the pegs are both 7.5 inches from identical points on the swingarm.

Odd that the WG is different.

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |

2004 Dyna FXDLI

Last edited by speedfoos; 09-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

srvsgr8t wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know what you're talking about because my 98 fxd is the same. If you're looking down at both rear pegs the right peg sticks out farther than left. I assume its because of the exhaust. I haven't found anything to space out the left side or a longer left mount to make them even. Wish I could cause it bugs the sheet outa me.
srvsgr8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

srvsgr8t wants to know Dino or Syn?
One option that I've found, Kuryakyn makes peg extenders, part # 8041 in 2-1/4" length. Looks kinda goofy in my opinion but will move that left peg out for ya.
srvsgr8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Although I'm out at work and won't be home to check my fxdwg 03 for another week, I believe I would have cought this by now, since I've torn this thing down and back together now many times.
But I have the passenger floor boards, and those would stick out like a sore thumb if they were off in anyway.
My girl friend has logged more than 15K miles with me and she hasn't mentioned it.
As far as the peg extender, they work well, I have a couple. I tried them on my front pegs but later bought extended pegs, but they work with out issue.
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Alice probably recommends some kind reconstituted vegetable oil, or VO 5.
Yeah the left peg sticks out to clear factory exhaust, but we have some nassssty Samson Short Shots with slash-cut tips turned at a 45 to the ground.
The W.G. being slammed as it is, I'm enjoying throwing sparks at night, and shaping the bottom tip even with the road.
I just may go with the Kuryakyn peg extenders, part # 8041, dunno yet.
'Preciate the input!
Pic of the pegs from the rear of the bike looking down:
http://www.soeastbiker.com/testpage.htm

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hydraglide74 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes my 97 WG is the same, the right hand (exhaust) side sticks out beyond the pipes, My other half pillions me 99% of the time and has never said anything about this, on asking her after reading this thread,she says she has never had a problem..

Harley Davidson Riders Club of GB
hydraglide74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

With this '98 WG slammed in the ass-end, the shock travel riding
two-up is so minimal that it's just this side of a rigid ride, so when
we hit the freeze bumps on this particular back road she bounces around
on the back so much that when her butt hits the seat and her legs are not
symmetrical, she lands a tad sideways.
I've also discovered that not only are the peg lengths not symmetrical,
they're offset front to rear just a tad too.
But trust me, she didn't know anything until I said something about it to her.
It doesn't keep her from wanting to take the WG out vs the Ultra most times.
We'll be getting the Kuryakyn extension next spring.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's funny I just found this again, but.....
I pulled my saddle bags a couple months ago and thought about this thread. I had looked at it from the rear and over the sissy bar, and I'll be damned if your not right, deffinately different.
So I broke out the tape measeure and thought abought the peg extention deal, and I'll be damned again.....same measurement from the swing arm to the peg end (floor board in my case) both side's......
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hydraglide74 wants to know Dino or Syn?
At least they are not like the new Dynas, the footpegs on them are attached to the swingarm, so your passengers legs go up and down over every bump...

Harley Davidson Riders Club of GB
hydraglide74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sobrbiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you source a spacer for the left peg, post it up! I just got a 98 Superglide last week an dnoticed that right off!
I was at the stealer yesterday and had them pull up the parts diagram because I thought there was no way that was right but lo and behold, that's how they come.
Mine has shorty street sweepers so the exhaust is a non issue too, but I also have a nice chrome rear wheel pulley and no beltguard. Personally I'd rather have the old lady melt shoes than get her jeans dragged into the front belt pulley.
Good thing she has her own scooter!
sobrbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement