Ricor or Progressive 444's - 117" FXD touring : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

splitting_lanes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ricor or Progressive 444's - 117" FXD touring

I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with the Ricor shocks on a Dyna, or any comparison to the new Progressive 444 shocks.

I have a 117" Dyna with bags & T-bag, etc.. and go on plenty of long rides with my girl on the back. This Summer we did a 2,700+ mile ride and plan to do more next summer.

I have some Progressive 412's on it now, and they are worn out after 60k miles on them.

Any input on what my next rear shock should be?

Me: 195, her: 118, gear: 50 - standard springs seem to be fine, but would like better action from the shocks for unknown roads.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Dave in Texas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ohlins is the shock brand I finally went with. I did install Ricor Intiminators in the forks. That suspension combination made such a huge difference.
CVP Tuner carb kit
Andrews Hyd kit w/21n cams
Ohins shocks, Intiminators in forks.
Mustang Vintage Solo & Pass seat
15" WindVest
J&S Dyna lift
Dave in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Texas View Post
Ohlins is the shock brand I finally went with. I did install Ricor Intiminators in the forks. That suspension combination made such a huge difference.
Dave, which model of Ohlins did you install?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfoos wants to know Dino or Syn?
While I have no experience with the Progressive 444s, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Good thing I rode there on my Dyna that has Ricors in the rear and their Intiminators up front.

Love them. I upgraded from stock shocks and it was a world of difference. My wife occasionally rides with me and I know she noticed a difference even after the short (hour) ride she was with me - she doesn't like to ride much. I thrash the bike pretty hard every day on my commute to and from work - lots of twisties, plenty of spaces where the road forces me to 40 and coming out of the turn its on the throttle again to 70 and the bike is completely stable now. It was dicey when running the stock suspension, but I have little fear now. Bike is more predictable and comfortable.

I put in a vote for Ricor, but can't compare them to Ohlins or the 444s Progressives. I've put about 1000 miles on them since June when I put them on while on my R&R and have continued to ride the piss out of the bike since I got back for good three weeks ago.

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |

2004 Dyna FXDLI
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Dave, which model of Ohlins did you install?
#2 #2(A) Photos taken just after I completed the install and before doing the sag adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ohlins installed 002.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	73983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ohlins installed 004.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	73984  
CVP Tuner carb kit
15" WindVest
J&S Dyna lift
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Yeah, I was planning to do something, either Racetech or intiminators in the forks -- to match up with the new rear suspension.

so, we have one vote for Ricors, and one for Ohlins (those are rebuildable, midrange, $900 Ohlins, right?)

any more info would be helpful. I've been through all the shock threads in the dyna section on the forum, and I want to get it really good (read: great) this time around....

ps. My next ride in a couple weeks is going up Highway 1 past Fort Bragg, I believe
Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

No, not $900. Just a little more than half that. If they ever need service or a rebuild job, the seller is also the dealer and can do the job. Ohlins are built according to individual specifications given by the buyer.
CVP Tuner carb kit
15" WindVest
J&S Dyna lift
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

y2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just got a pair of JRI's probably from the same place as the ohlins came from, they are pricey, and I only just got them installed and the sag set, they are good out of the box, but should be great once I dial them in...

pm me if you want more info, I don't wan't to step on anybody or any sponsor toes....
y2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

anubisss wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ohlins or JRI's will stomp all over any progressive shock. Spend a little more and get the best, it is worth the extra money. i am going to be getting some of the piggy back JRI's from Howard at Motorcycle Metal when the cash comes in. Give Howard a call and we wills pend hours with you on the phone explaining everything about suspension, how it works and why one is better than the other. I work for a shop and send every suspension customer I have to Howard. I am yet to get a complaint regarding his service or products.
http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage17.html
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

I called Howard, didn't get a chance to give him details yet, but I'm in no rush -- just preparing for this winters suspension/brake/wheels and cosmetic stuff.

Thanks for the input
Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

I have about 200 miles on the jri's so they aren't broken in yet, need about 1000, but I played a little with the dampening on some really bouncy beach roads this weekend and it was pretty amazing, they had gotten to the point where I had to run the road about 50 or I would get tossed off the bike, I ran it at 80-85 and only once did I leave the seat....granted with was with a lot of dampening just so I could feel the change but I can see these being great shocks.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Ironically, the shocks i'm considering now aren't even in the title of this thread....

JRI's or Ohlins.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

the one thing that I think I have left out of the conversation is that ohlins or the jri's can be rebuilt, which means that it pays to transfer the shock to another bike instead of just leaving it on and selling it with the bike when the time comes, a progressive you will just toss or sell.....that was a big factor for me
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfoos wants to know Dino or Syn?
To throw another one out there for Ricors, they can also be rebuilt/revalved.

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |

2004 Dyna FXDLI
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Ironically, the shocks i'm considering now aren't even in the title of this thread....

JRI's or Ohlins.
Must be works shocks? I 've got them in my 124ci. Dyna along with their fork springs, big difference from stock. Eliminated nose dive on decel and braking, and the rear shocks were great for my weight and riding style right out of the box. Also got true track stabilizers, they help too. Can't comment on how they stack up against the others, but have heard great things about the Ohlins, and race tech emulators.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
C-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.