Ricor or Progressive 444's - 117" FXD touring - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've got Works in the rear and Race Tech Gold Emulators with progressive springs in the front. Night and day difference from stock.
Torq Monster Motorworks
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

splitting_lanes wants to know Dino or Syn?
I placed an order for JRI shocks. They are supposedly like the Penske shocks, machined steel body with adjustable compression and rebound damping.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

y2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
have you gotten your jri's yet? I have about 800 miles on mine and am pretty happy, I need to go back and readjust the preload again.
y2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

I don't think they've been sent yet. I sent a check, but goofed up on writing it out to the correct payee, so I had to resend a check.

Everything should start coming together in another week - the powder coating on the rims should be done, new bearings & brakes, then the JRI's. I'm looking forward to it looking and handling better!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

I got my JRI's on last week, and have put several hundred miles on them, all solo.

Howard was pretty patient with me, even though I screwed up a couple things. doh!

The shocks were an immediate improvement over the Prgressive 412's that were on the bike, but they were worn out with 60,000 miles on them. Within a hundred or so miles I had reached the conclusion that these were the best shocks I had ridden on, and my opinion has improved since then. As Howard told me, they would be a little tight at first, and I'm not sure if they've loosened up, or I've just gotten used to them...

one thing that I was a little surprised with is how the feel of my bike has improved - I ride between the lanes a lot while commuting, and the botts dots and seams in the roadway in conjuntion with blowing past cars in close proximity can be a little unnerving. yesterday on my way home I was noticing that I was moving faster than normal in-between the cars, so I glanced at my speedometer at it was right at 60! normally splitting through stopped or nearly stopped traffic is something I do at 35. but the bike feels so solidly stuck to the road it was fun to push it a little (or maybe a lot!)

I hope to take a trip over the holiday with my girl on the back, so I can see how it feels two-up, and so she can check it out. i'll post up some results if anyone is interested.

how's your set working, y2kflhr?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

y2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I got my JRI's on last week, and have put several hundred miles on them, all solo.

Howard was pretty patient with me, even though I screwed up a couple things. doh!

The shocks were an immediate improvement over the Prgressive 412's that were on the bike, but they were worn out with 60,000 miles on them. Within a hundred or so miles I had reached the conclusion that these were the best shocks I had ridden on, and my opinion has improved since then. As Howard told me, they would be a little tight at first, and I'm not sure if they've loosened up, or I've just gotten used to them...

one thing that I was a little surprised with is how the feel of my bike has improved - I ride between the lanes a lot while commuting, and the botts dots and seams in the roadway in conjuntion with blowing past cars in close proximity can be a little unnerving. yesterday on my way home I was noticing that I was moving faster than normal in-between the cars, so I glanced at my speedometer at it was right at 60! normally splitting through stopped or nearly stopped traffic is something I do at 35. but the bike feels so solidly stuck to the road it was fun to push it a little (or maybe a lot!)

I hope to take a trip over the holiday with my girl on the back, so I can see how it feels two-up, and so she can check it out. i'll post up some results if anyone is interested.

how's your set working, y2kflhr?
mine are working out great, too bad I waited till the end of our riding season to buy them, I will be doing some solo riding over thanksgiving weekend, but all in all I only have about 1500 miles on them, barely any with the better half on the back, she loves them.
My buddy bought the real expensive version and we had a few glitches with the install, but I think when its all said and done he will be happy, we had the hurricane roll through here so it hasn't been great to ride around, I don't even think you can get to the beach.

definitely keep the updates coming along with the settings you like I will have months before I can do real dialing in.
y2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

I put another 500 miles on my bike with her and gear loaded up. I had to crank the preload 13 turned to get the sag correct. That was the hard part...

We started out on the trip with the damping unchanged, and I noticed that it seemed a little bouncy, and when we stopped for gas she mentioned it also. So I clicked the shocks a couple turns tighter on the damping and wow, what a nice improvement. That's why I wanted a shock I could adjust the damping on, the bounce was gone, and even some fairly rough road was easy for the shocks to absorb. At our half way point I went one click tighter, and it improved even more. We road part of the way back on a one lane twisty that had a five mile stretch where I was mostly in first gear. Very steep and technical! The bike handled great.

I have almost a thousand miles on mine now, and I think it really took most of that to break in, as the last couple hundred miles were better than anything yet.

I think I made the right choice with these shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.