Lose the cat : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ttommy24 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lose the cat

I just got a '12 Dyna Switchback and have had the 1,000mi. service done. About the only complaint I have is the heat from the rear cylinder. I was told that most of the heat is coming from the cat. converter. Have any of you cut into the exhaust and gutted the cat? If so..did you have the computer remapped? What's my options? I can't afford an exhaust upgrade yet, but that's on my wish list. Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated and considered.
ttommy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

IrishStash wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hate Cats

I hate cats, my wife used to have one. Damn thing was always jumping on my face in the middle of the night. Somehow a bowl of antifreeze got left out and took care of my cat problem. If you were talking about catalytic converters then I apologize as I have no useful input.
IrishStash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ampster wants to know Dino or Syn?
There's alot of info on here and the net about ppl cutting the cat out.

IRC, you do not need to remap if you cut it out, but please don't take my word on it...double check.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishStash View Post
Somehow a bowl of antifreeze got left out and took care of my cat problem.
A 500 mg Excedrin works well also. Don't ask how I know this.
As far as the topic at hand, I read a lot about removing the cat and read others take on this and am not saying it's a bad thing to do. My question is if you do it on a new bike still under warranty would this not affect the warranty? Yes? No?
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ttommy24 wants to know Dino or Syn?
While having the 1,000mi service done I asked the tech about removing the cat.converter guts and he hinted around about the warranty being in question if something happened...like burning a hole in a piston. That's why I'm asking you guys about it. I think the possibility of burning a hole in a piston is pretty remote. I can't see how making the exhaust flow a little better can cause damage to the engine if I don't change the intake or change to a K&N filter. The tech did tell me that if I changed both the intake and exhaust to make sure I had the computer remapped. The intake seemed to be a bigger issue than the exhaust. What do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.
ttommy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Vince103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just did this a couple of days ago on my Fat Bob. Huge improvement & it was easy to do. Only cost you would have is if you need someone else to weld the window back in for you. I marked my pipe before the cut so the heat shield hides the welds. So far my bike still runs great, no back fire, etc... I didn't re-map or anything else. My service guy siad it doesn't affect my warranty, not really any different than changing pipes according to him.
Vince103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

martinhdn wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have 2012 switchback. took long 3/4 masonry bit and drilled out cat. took muffler off first. took about 30 min but you dont have to cut pipes and weld back. definately runs cooler and better . was so hot from cat before didnt think I was going to be able to stand it . worst thing h-d did putting cat there. Had 09 sporster and 06 ultra , they were never hot like that. also took 1/2 inch bit and drilled 4 holes in end of muffler , runs better still and sounds better. ordered dobeck tuner cause im going to change breather. as far as warranty will worry bout that if something happens. ant no good bike if its to hot to ride anyway. vibration is getting better to. bet when i richen it up with tuner that will do better to. love my switchback
martinhdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
yes if you get the cat out and retune, it will cut the exhaust heat down. if you dont retune? it will run so lean the head temp will increase thus the exhaust temp will rise.
anytime you change the way the engine breaths it needs re tuned.
that is if you just cut a cat out.change EITHER the exhaust or air breather.
the myth that you can change the exhaust and not the breather or the breather and not the exhaust is just that a myth. either one will change how the engine breaths.
the stock sensors are not magic either. they dont re-adjust your tune. its gonna be lean.
if you dont want to retune. leave it as is, until it can be done correct.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

95 FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are catalytic converters installed on all bikes now? I thought it was just a CA thing.
95 FXST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Don't loose the cat, cats love Harleys....

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

benzrod wants to know Dino or Syn?
will be checking to see what you wound up doing, i'm in the same boat on my switchback
benzrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
a few guys on the switchback only site have gutted their cats
and the consensus is you will need to tune for the free flowing
exhaust, basically its like installing an aftermarket headpipe or full
exhaust which has no restrictions
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

benzrod wants to know Dino or Syn?
what switchback only site? Would like to check that out!
benzrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

skitz43 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I cut the cat out of my 2011 FAT BOB & added a Nightrider XOID stage 1. Bike runs cooler & i have no lean problem. Added a K&N & slip ons also.
Cycle shack slip ons
K&N sucker
Smoke tail lite & signals
Custom made sissy bar
Avon Grips
Saddle bags
Custom cut windshield
skitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with strokerjlk, you should retune with any change to the in or out air flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.