Oil Capacity? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Lil Fire Dog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil Capacity?

I'm new to the Harley world... recently jumped over from the Honda side of things.
I need to knwo how much oil my 2000 HD Dyna Wide Glide holds? I need to do a oil change but can't find anything telling me what the oil capacity is.

also can you suggest a good oil?

Thanks............
Lil Fire Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Should be 3 qts. Any good Dino oil unless you want Syn should be fine. I run 50wt Valvoline VR-1 racing.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've always used Mobil1 15W50...5qt jugs at Wallyworld for about $25.
As for the oil change - Do a search on 'sumping'...many first timers overfill because they don't understand that some oil can slowly run back into lower part of engine when it sits. When you drain the oil from oil tank, the oil that ran back to the sump does not get drained...now you add what you think is the 'correct' amount of oil and fire it up. VOILA...you got a mess because you have more than the recommended amount in the engine.
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

rootintootin wants to know Dino or Syn?
2.5 Qts for a wet refill, 3 Qts for a dry refil. Wet is for routine oil changes and dry is for an engine that has been disassembled, cleaned in solvent and dried.

You could do 2 Qts and work your way up to full with the 3rd. Always measure on side stand, only between the marks for a cold, pre-ride check. If below the marks cold do not fill to top arrow, only enough to get between the marks. With a hot engine, you can add up to top arrow (FULL).

If you think you're going to keep the bike a while, get the shop manual (PN: 99481-00). It will pay for itself in no time.

PS, don't get the wrong drain plug, oil is on the left SIDE of sump, tranny plug is on BOTTOM, facing ground.

2000 Lowrider, 74K miles
95" SE Forged pop-ups
S&S 585Gs on Delkron plate
Zippers Stage III CNC heads
45mm Mikuni and Supertrapp(S.E.) 2-1
Lots of other stuff Harley took years to fix
rootintootin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
WideGlide Rider

Scotykid wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ditto on the shop manual. Worth its weight in gold.

Anymore than 2.5 quarts and it will be dribbling oil out of your air cleaner

Sometimes there's Justice...
and sometimes, there's Just Us!
Scotykid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Clevy wants to know Dino or Syn?
As already mentioned 2.5 for a standard change. My dyna will drip oil out of the breather if I add a full 3 quarts. My bike,when hot,stops dripping oil if I fill it to just over the full cold mark on the dipstick when hot.
As far as oil is concerned don't overthink it. Any conventional 20w-50 will last an easy 3000 miles in the engine. 5000 for synthetic. As far as the primary is concerned my clutch felt best with plain old conventional rotella t 15w-40. I found that with a syn oil in there is grabbed funny when cold. Tranny fluid in my bike is red line shockproof heavy however any 70w-90 gear oil(70w-140 if you are in a hotter climate) will work.
Forget putting engine oil in the tranny. Yes it will work but it shears very quickly with the gears pounding on it,gear oil is made for just that type of application.
You are going to get alot of different answers on this question. Just keep in mind that most name brand oils are very similar to each other,so go with what cost less and change it at regular intervals.
Clevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

Zardoz_II wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rogue Chopper Scavanging

The only problem is that you don't gett all the oil out. I bought this scavaging kit from http://www.roguechopper.com/ and it worked. You tap the oil return line and dump all of the oil out after draining the sump.
It was worth the bucks...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.