Switchback - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #46 (permalink)
FNG :)

NM_born_n_bred wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyAcorn View Post

Dynas vibrate. There's no doubt about it. But the Switchback was (is) a piece of crap right out of the gate and it should never have gotten passed Harley engineers. In this age of technology none of us should have to wonder if a NEW motorcycle is going to vibrate to pieces.
Jimmy,

I am 49 years old. I have been riding most of my life. I have had all manner of motorcycle. My new SB is my second Harley (Street Bob, SB) although I have ridden many. Most of the other motorcycles I have owned in my life were a variety of Yamahas and Hondas. However, I have spent considerable time in the saddle on Laverda, Benelli, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, etc. As a younger person the only exposure I had to HD was an AMF Sportster that vibrated so much that parts popped off while riding (seriously!). I preferred a sportier, better handling motorcycle and always poked fun at Harleys b/c they handled poorly (IMO). That said, as I grew older, I was drawn to HD and ended up where I am now with a SB. I am truly disappointed with the vibration problem at 2800 to 3000+ RPM, but I believe that the dealer will fix this. I have already talked to the MoCo and have a reference number to give to the dealer to call the MoCo technicians. HD MoCo knows about the problem. While frustrating, I have to say that I love the SB. Say what you will, but this bike handles wonderfully. I can't fly through the twisties at acute angles, b/c of the low floorboards, but I really do like the bike. The bike is comfortable, versatile, looks great and has a better power/weight ratio than some of the other HDs. The throttle response and torque are very nice. At 2600 RPM the bike is as smooth as silk. The SB is great for two-up riding. I am 5'11" and 210lbs. The only other issue is I wish the seat was 1-2 inches back and slightly taller. I think I can solve this with an aftermarket seat. Bottom line is this is a decent bike if the vibe issue is resloved. If I can get this ironed out, I believe I am going to keep this one and trick it out a bit. I'll be posting the results of my vibe issues as I want to see this problem solved. Again, I think the SB is very nice ride and should prove to be a durable and highly customizable machine.

BTW, have you seen the SB with the Hoppe Batwing? This looks really nice.

Cheers!
NM_born_n_bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #47 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyAcorn View Post

LOL The whole idea of "me", "you", "us" having to shell out big bucks to compensate for vibration issues the engineers let slide by is freakin' absurd. Having to replace a front motor mount at the first service?! Something is/was wrong with MY Switchback right off the assembly line. I want my money back and "That's" how I "really feel". "Give me a new motorcycle". "That's" how I "really feel" as well.

I've been in the saddle (on Harleys) since I was a teenager. I'm 64 now. I know how they ride, how they feel, and what to expect. But this? During those years HD has done its best to keep up with technology but lately they just walk the dog when it comes to engineering.
well, in my case i had the TSB performed about 2 weeks ago and it has been smooth since, my tech said the mount itself wasnt torqued properly, now maybe it was a combo of drive belt, clutch which were both way out of adjustment and the mount needing retorquing, who knows but mine is dyna like now and not excessive.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #48 (permalink)

benzrod wants to know Dino or Syn?
Call mine the Road Prince! seems fitting, except for that stupid vibration @75 or 80!
benzrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #49 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bigjames4xl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just got mine last Saturday. No vibration issues but the front brake feels like it has air in the line. I can pump it and it works semi ok for a while but it still doesn't feel right. I've been riding to work all week but still only have about 150 miles on it so it will take a while yet to see if more bugs pop up. I'm loving it though, handles better than the vrod I traded in!

bigjames4xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #50 (permalink)

benzrod wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had the same problem with front brakes, dealer said there was moisture in the system so they flushed and bled brakes, still no brakes, working the lever will build up the pressure and feel ok. Next am, no brakes again, can't Harley do better than this! Oh yeah, the bad vibration will rear its ugly head next! Makes me want my 03 vrod back! Keep me posted on how you solve your bikes problems?
benzrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #51 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzrod View Post
Had the same problem with front brakes, dealer said there was moisture in the system so they flushed and bled brakes, still no brakes, working the lever will build up the pressure and feel ok. Next am, no brakes again, can't Harley do better than this! Oh yeah, the bad vibration will rear its ugly head next! Makes me want my 03 vrod back! Keep me posted on how you solve your bikes problems?
I've read on another forum that a guy who bought his FLD from the same dealer i did got his master cylinder replaced. Apparently this is a common issue with some of the Dynas.

I miss my vrod too but only the scary fast part of it. The vrod had a lot of nagging issues too, mostly no good for more than 300 miles of ridng in my case. I'd get saddle sore and be ready to get off it.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
IronButt

seems the best way to get the master cylinder replaced the first time is to take a video
of it not working correctly and show your service dept.. i dont think they want video evidence like that floating around especially if an accident is caused by the non working front brake..

in my case i complained, they bled it once, it acted up the next day took it back and they ordered the MC, haven't had any problems since..

there are fixes for the vibration one of which costs about $5, problem i think is in the design of the exhaust, long muffler and single mount it is hooked to..
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #53 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

" HD has done its best to keep up with technology "

I finally stopped laughing long enough to type!!!!!

Except for the vrod HD is only a few steps away from points, condenser, and leaky carbs!!!!

If you want technology you need a new Goldwing or BMW K1600!

As for vibration, nothing I've ever been on vibrated more than some of the shovelhead models made during the AMF years!!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #54 (permalink)

marknett wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have about 570 miles on mine and noticed no vibration . At 2900 rpm , i;m crusin at 80 in 6 th gear .. I had a vance and hines slip on added when I bought the bike . Was thinking about adding a d&d fat cat setup just for the sound .. either that or I'm gutting the cat .. Gotta sound like a harley .. By the way , my other bike is a 96 1200c sportster .Put it on 80 and your hands will go numb
marknett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #55 (permalink)
Gearhead

2wheelrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
They (HD) want to get the look of a bagger on a Dyna frame. To do this they run a bagger style exhaust system. All the way to the back of the rear tire. If you look at a bagger you will see hanger at the back of the bag mount that helps to stabilize the end of the exhaust pipe (muffler). My pro pipe on my bagger also has a short mount that comes straight off the trans also. Dyna's (i have two) have the exhaust mount that comes off the back of the tyranny and a "arm" reaches out about 18" with a hole at the end to mount your muffler to. Add another 25" of bagger style muffler to that and no wonder you have a vibration problem. I bet If you found yourself a pipe that ended at the rear axle your vibration problem would be gone, or lessoned anyway...after all it is a Harley LOL
2010 street glide....FOR SALE
2wheelrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #56 (permalink)

stud48m5 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got my Switchback last December, and subsequently damaged the front fender by closing my garage door on it by mistake. My HD dealer quoted a price of $800 for a new one. I felt this was quite high and decided to have it repaired instead. Has anyone else priced this fender at this high price???

Stud48m5 2012 Switchbakd vidid black, Very nice ride compared to my old 93 lowrider.
stud48m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

rscalzo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
The whole idea of "me", "you", "us" having to shell out big bucks to compensate for vibration issues the engineers let slide by is freakin' absurd.
All of which would have come out on a test drive.

(first time I ever had to use the "View" command to shrink the text size.)

Last edited by rscalzo; 11-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

rscalzo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
damaged the front fender by closing my garage door on it by mistake. My HD dealer quoted a price of $800 for a new one

Some have shown up on Ebay and sold from 100 to 200 dollars. Retail, vivid black is $825. You can get it discounted here.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....FENDER---FRONT

Last edited by rscalzo; 11-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #59 (permalink)
IronButt

softail deluxe uses the same front fender part # so you can look for one of those also this is why all of the softail deluxe fender tips and side trim work on the switchback
Old 12-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #60 (permalink)

marknett wants to know Dino or Syn?
As most of you know the dyna switchback has a noticeable vibration around 2800 rpm's.. There is a harley bulletin out about it . Here is a link to that bulletin .. https://www.box.com/s/15d6d8edf75569ee6c4f . However the reviews have been minimal improvement .. After a lot of searching the internet and research , the problems seems to be in the exhaust setup .. Aftermarket exhaust seems to get rid of the vibrations . However at $500 to 1400 bucks , It is not an option for everyone .. Should this be a warranty issue .. YES . If you complain enough and take a copy of the service bulletin , you can get your dealership to address it but as I said the results were minimal in my research.

But don't give up yet . Here is what I have done and the results were great. Virtually eliminated the vibration .

First a little background on the bike setup
I have the factory headers with the cat "drilled" , not removed yet . I have a vance and hines twin slash slip-on that I upgraded to at purchase . Just as a note , the vibration was still there with the slip on

I am also running a gen 3 but that didn't help the vibration issue either ., But i do recommend it as an upgrade .

The fix

The problem is in the factory mount setup . Some of the aftermarket exhaust are
replacing one of the mounts too.
Before you do all that try this ..

loosen the bolt on the slip on muffler and right behind the slip on is a mount bolt 1/2" socket will fit it remove this bolt . you will notice it is a slotted hole. then loosen the nut at the back of the exhaust almost all the way off. . Pull the slip on muffler back until the slot in the center mounting bolt is centered . now tightened the slip on muffler clamp .. Put some blue locktite on the center mount bolt and screw it in about halfway .. Do NOT tighten .. put some blue locktite on the rear mount stud and start the nut .. again this is 1/2" wrench Start the bike and tighten the rear mount bolt up snug turn off bike . Go to the center mount and tighten it down until it touches and back off one half of a turn . Let the locktite cure and you are ready to go ..

The above procedure made a world of difference on my bike .. Hope it does on yours too

Just as a note , I did not do anything that the service bulletin said to do because it was not fixing the issue .

the vibrations are minimal well over the 4000 rpm mark
in 6 th gear running 80 mph I turn 2900 rpm's .. take that up to 4500 rpm's equals faster than I need to be going
marknett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement