Switchback - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post
I like to call it the road Queen!
how original, and i bet you say the sportster is "a girls bike" too
1HD1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD1C View Post
how original, and i bet you say the sportster is "a girls bike" too
Nope! I call it a Sportster. I actually like the SB!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
FNG :)

McCarr wants to know Dino or Syn?
What do you do for $10.00 to fix the vibration?
McCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarr View Post
What do you do for $10.00 to fix the vibration?
I'm guessing you have to shim the front motor mount. maybe someone
else will chime in.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

i believe he said he pulled the stock muffler and put a pipe with turnout
cost $10.

guy on another forum put tru duals and his vibes went away
i also read on a site not forum where another guy swapped
out his muffler and his vibes went away also.

this seems to lend credence to the muffler as being the culprit, i had
heard that HD is aware and are working on a fix. don't know when it will
come but if you own a switchback and have the vibration make sure you
report it to your selling dealer as they may get a fix from HD but only
people that complain will get the repair.
1HD1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #36 (permalink)

Lugoffscfld wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rich is right... The stock mounting system with the stock pipe causes a lot of vibration... The two mounting points for the Switchback are 4" from the exhaust clamp and second is then bolt rubber mount that feeds into the right rear frame tube behind the wheel nut. When I changed out my exhaust for the Bassani slipon I ended up just snugging up the front bolt, then starting the engine then tighten the rear nut then go back to the front bolt to tighten to specs. It worked for me but after reading what others had stated I spoke with an old wrench and that was what he suggested
Lugoffscfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #37 (permalink)

whitesub93 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Switchback is $15,995 at Horny Toads in Temple, Texas.
whitesub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #38 (permalink)

I complained and complained and they are trying by remoding the motor mounts and installing an SE nightstick. This is what the factory techs said to do. The service manager showed me the emails with pics. Waiting on the exhaust to come in. Will advise when its done if it works.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

Tynker wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Switchback has a problem with the exhaust. Any aftermarket exhaust will cure the vibration problem. Drilling 4 1/2" holes in the rear end of the stock muffler, seems to also help alot with the vibes,and sounds alot better.
Tynker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #40 (permalink)

Okay folks, went to the dealer today and they installed the nightstick and ground the hump out of the middle of the motor mounts as the factory bulletin he showed me with instructions in drawings and print said to do. The ride home was vibration free and the exhaust is louder (as it should be). They have a problem with the FLD and now they know how to fix it. I asked the service manager for a copy of the bulletin and the other paperwork and he said he would mail it to me. Right! Believe that when I see it. But now I can start to work modifying the bike. Did not want to before until the vibe was fixed because I knew they would say "no way, its been modified, not our problem".
Old 05-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #41 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugoffscfld View Post
Rich is right... The stock mounting system with the stock pipe causes a lot of vibration... The two mounting points for the Switchback are 4" from the exhaust clamp and second is then bolt rubber mount that feeds into the right rear frame tube behind the wheel nut. When I changed out my exhaust for the Bassani slipon I ended up just snugging up the front bolt, then starting the engine then tighten the rear nut then go back to the front bolt to tighten to specs. It worked for me but after reading what others had stated I spoke with an old wrench and that was what he suggested
FWIW, I had a similar situation on my 2002 Dyna when I switched from a Fatcat to a Supermeg. The Fatcat has a much better mounting system and I get a little vibration from the Supertrapp.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

JimmyAcorn wants to know Dino or Syn?
SB Culprit

The original problem with the Dynas is the angle of the rear shocks. HD should have never gotten rid of the FXR. The Dyna shock angle pushes the energy forward. The FXDWG helps displace that Vibration energy because of the rake and the 21" wheel. The BS about shimming the front motor mount is just that; BS. It doesn't fix the real problem (shock angle); it only extends the life of the front motor mount.

The same shock angle is on the Switchback. Add that and the stock exhaust with that power absorbing catalytic converter and you've got a piece of crap under your butt.

I haven't heard of any recalls or service suggestions regarding the Switchback but my front motor mount was replaced at 1,000 miles with a little bit of improvement. After that I took a 3k mile trip and it was horrible. The shorter rake and heavier frontend, unlike my '98 FXDWG, actually blocks vibration energy and confines it to the driver's feet and buttocks.

Dynas vibrate. There's no doubt about it. But the Switchback was (is) a piece of crap right out of the gate and it should never have gotten passed Harley engineers. In this age of technology none of us should have to wonder if a NEW motorcycle is going to vibrate to pieces.

My Switchback is for sale. If it doesn't sell before my new Heritage comes in I'll take the hit and trade it in. The loss on the trade-in (IMHO) is worth not having to deal with riding or "fixing"
a freakin' new motorcycle.
JimmyAcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

yo jimmy,
now tell us how you REALLY feel,LOLOLOLOL
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #44 (permalink)
IronButt

JimmyAcorn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD1C View Post
yo jimmy,
now tell us how you REALLY feel,LOLOLOLOL

LOL The whole idea of "me", "you", "us" having to shell out big bucks to compensate for vibration issues the engineers let slide by is freakin' absurd. Having to replace a front motor mount at the first service?! Something is/was wrong with MY Switchback right off the assembly line. I want my money back and "That's" how I "really feel". "Give me a new motorcycle". "That's" how I "really feel" as well.

I've been in the saddle (on Harleys) since I was a teenager. I'm 64 now. I know how they ride, how they feel, and what to expect. But this? During those years HD has done its best to keep up with technology but lately they just walk the dog when it comes to engineering.
JimmyAcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #45 (permalink)
IronButt

snake charmer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine is giving me no trouble at all.
snake charmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement