TC88 Stage 2 Big Bore Kit : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

rbearden56 wants to know where he is and how he got here
TC88 Stage 2 Big Bore Kit

Well I just got my SE Stage 2 big bore kit for my TC88. I have plenty of mechanical skill to do the job but I certainly would like to hear from anyone who has done this upgrade and any issues I should be aware of. What is the deal with the catalytic converter mufflers? Definitely not using those! The cam installation is the tricky part for me, I want install new cam bearings. Can the inner ones be replaced without a complete disassembly of the cases? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
rbearden56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Gump 159 wants to know Dino or Syn?
95 inch upgrade...

The first thing you will need is a quality repair manual, nurture the build with a lot of patience, and fertilize the whole project with a bunch of dollars.

You didn't mention if you were upgrading to a new cam, if not, don't sweat the bearings unless you have a lot of miles on them.

There are inner and outer cam bearing tools available, but you will only use them once. I bought mine on e-bay, used them and then resold them on ebay.

If you are in the cases for bearings and cams, go ahead and replace the chain tensioners too, might as well do the hydraulic lifters, and throw in a set of adjustable pushrods. Don't forget you will need a tuner kit to adjust the air/fuel ratio because you will want to have your 95 breath a little better than stock so a new air cleaner will help.

You might want to look into high tensile cylinder bolts and the beefed up clutch spring as well.

I am sure I left out something (all new gaskets and seals too), but the good folks on the forum will help out...

The upgrade is kind of like Aunt Mables fat ass, once it gets started, there is no stopping it.

Good luck and keep us posted...
Gump 159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good advice by Gump...get a manual and do some homework regarding all the pieces and getting the right mix of components for your situation/desires (right cam, budget, compression, head work, etc.) Need special tools for cams/cam bearings - do not need to split cases. Poke around and you can get a deal from someone who has finished their build and no longer needs them. Would strongly consider sending out heads for a port job while you're in there (there's Aunt Mables fat ass again!). There's a few mail order shops with considerable discounts for parts (and no tax).

You didn't mention details on your Dyna (year, miles, etc) or how "wild" you are planning on going for the upgrade...

I went around and around (gear cams? hydraulic tensioners? etc.) and finally decided to stay with original tensioner design...just replaced shoes and polished chains. Took the $$ saved and sent my heads out to be ported. I used stock cylinder studs and clutch...SE Tapered Adjustable push rods...plan on a new set of lifters as well. I did my whole build for about $1600 - had fun doing it and very happy with the end product. Two years and 11K miles with no issues. I'm no expert - just an average joe hackin' away in the garage during the winter...if I can do it so can you!

Not sure about Cat converters...mine didn't have them.
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I got everything done including the new download for the stage 2 upgrades from HD. while inside replaced cam bearings and new tensioners. New cylinder studs and bolts, stiffer clutch spring (included with kit). Bike runs very nice!! without any further tuning the Dyno read 89 ft/lbs torque and 82 hp. when the cam kicks in around 3000 rpm it leans out just a hair. After 500 mile break in I'll have some more fun with it but what a blast and torque out the whazoo. Had help with the cams because I just wanted it right the first time. Very happy with the upgrade.

06 FXDLi
95" Stage II SE
203 SE Cams
SE High Flow Air Cleaner
Cobra 2" slip ons
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

cablackwell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any thoughts on the S & S 583 GE cam for the TC 88 upgrade to 95."
Also, since I am at 7,800 ft, any thoughts on increasing the compression up to the 9.4:1 range?
Clarence Blackwell
Colorado
cablackwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

MCPO wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the dealer install a 95 CI big bore kit and the hydraulic cam chain tensioner. Now it doesn't want to start and the battery runs down before it fires. It sounds like the timing is way off. Once it starts, if it starts, it runs great until it is turned off. I hate to drive it anywhere because I don't trust it anymore. I used to ride it to either coast without hesitation. Now it is just a garage decoration. Help
Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPO View Post
I had the dealer install a 95 CI big bore kit and the hydraulic cam chain tensioner. Now it doesn't want to start and the battery runs down before it fires. It sounds like the timing is way off. Once it starts, if it starts, it runs great until it is turned off. I hate to drive it anywhere because I don't trust it anymore. I used to ride it to either coast without hesitation. Now it is just a garage decoration. Help
You need a new dealer who knows what they are doing.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
MCPO....I would start a new thread with your bike's details and see what you get for input. The more details you provide the better advice you will get.
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

daBreeze wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recently had a 95" s and s bb kit, 203 cams, hydraulic upgrade, manual cr installed on my 05' fxdwgi and so far Im really dissapointed at the money i spent ratio to the seat dyno i feel after about 700 miles. I havent had it retuned yet so Im hoping thats going to make a difference. Not trying to be a buzzkill but as it is now I wish I had only done the tensioner upgrade. Good luck with yours!!
daBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daBreeze View Post
I recently had a 95" s and s bb kit, 203 cams, hydraulic upgrade, manual cr installed on my 05' fxdwgi and so far Im really dissapointed at the money i spent ratio to the seat dyno i feel after about 700 miles. I havent had it retuned yet so Im hoping thats going to make a difference. Not trying to be a buzzkill but as it is now I wish I had only done the tensioner upgrade. Good luck with yours!!
Did you do any head work?
First thing a 203 cam will wake up a stock bike pretty good and ported heads and a 95" kit should be plenty seat in the pants kick.
unless you have some ignition issues or you are choking it down with intake and Pipes
I have basically the same in a 97" with a HRS 42 carb, and it kicks ass
Ported heads
SE 203 Cams
SE Camplate and Pump
Fueling lifters
SE Push rods
HRS 42 Mikuni Carb
DTT Ignition
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

immo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did
Quote:
you do any head work?
First thing a 203 cam will wake up a stock bike pretty good and ported heads and a 95" kit should be plenty seat in the pants kick.
unless you have some ignition issues or you are choking it down with intake and Pipes
I have basically the same in a 97" with a HRS 42 carb, and it kicks a
Or you get in a hurry and don't adjust the throttle correctly. Dyno guy "found" over 40horsepower after adjusting it.
immo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

daBreeze wants to know Dino or Syn?
No headwork. Have se round open air filter and hooker long exhaust. Also PCV tuner. Im hoping when i have it tuned it will wake it up. It ran pretty good before i did the work, i was expecting a lot more though, maybe too much. I think its broke in enough now to get it retuned (700) miles? I dont mean to take jack the ops thread.
daBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Well now that I have had some serious seat time I think I can say it was well worth the investment. Since the upgrade, I changed the ECM to a Thundermax with Auto Tune. This solved several popping and tuning issues. I took off the stock exhaust with slip ons and replaced them with a Cobra HP 2 into one system. That really woke up the power at 3000 rpm and above. The only regret (next winters project) was not getting the headwork done at the time. I had a PCIII and got tired of guessing at the tune. My stage 1 and 2 had the HD Download that were OK but not exactly right. The Thundermax ECM works great and I can see exactly what is going on with my laptop and the auto tune really works. With about 100 miles on the new exhaust the bike was both smooth and powerful. I really enjoy it now, it is reliable, starts very easily, and responsive.
On a different note, lat winter I changed the front wheel from the stock 19inch to a 21 inch (not a wide glide) and the difference on the highway is dramatic. At speed 70mph + the bike feels solid, doesn't wander and tracks very strait. I know that others have changed but no much feedback on the difference, very nice surprise. The stock front fender fits better to the 21 than the 19 go figure.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

immo wants to know Dino or Syn?
rbeard, are your heads the alum or black ones? if there are the black ones, shoot me a pm. we might be able to work something out.
immo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.