Buell S1 inverted front end on fxdx? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

chopper chris wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buell S1 inverted front end on fxdx?

Want to get an inverted front end on my 03 FXDX... I have done a lot of motor work and like pulling wheelies now and then, inverted looks sick plus I think it would help when commin down from a wheelie for a softer landing. Anyone done this? I have taken some measurements just thought is ask. Thanx
chopper chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Several here have done that - pwmorris and sedeluxe. I'd be interested in your fxdx forks and trees if you go that route.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Tbones wants to know Dino or Syn?
I believe Storz/Ceriani makes inverted forks for your bike too... Coming down off a wheelies is still going to take out your seals whether you run the inverted forks or the regular forks your running now... That's a lot of weight coming down ... Do enough wheelies and you'll be changing out seals ...
Tbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, yes I will be looking to part ways with the stock front end once I find & fit the S1. Still have to get used to the added power so I can feather down the front end, landing those wheelies smooth!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a set of Showa 41mm inverted fork legs from a Buell tuber on my FXR.

There are a few issues that you have to consider:

-The forks are shorter than any mid glide ever made. I think mine are 28.5 inches.
-The spring rate and valving are not anywhere near correct for a BT.
-Buell trees do not have the correct offset for a typical harley setup.

I sent my forks to Traxxion Dynamics to be re sprung and valved. To give you an idea, stock spring rate in the Buell forks was originally .650, over time the springs become weaker. Based on the front axle weight of my bike with me on it, springs in the range of 1 - 1.1 were required. The valving inside the fork also must be addressed.

I had Sandy Kosman make a set of trees that are the correct Harley offset and are stock Buell width.

Sandy also made me a 40 spoke hub, dual 320mm brake rotors and adapters to mount Brembo calipers.

You could rune the stock Buell wheel, rotor and caliper. I went the Kosman route on the hub because I wanted to use the Brembo calipers and his 320mm rotors.

A stock narrow glide could be used, but you will have to make axle spacers and rotor spacers.

I laced my hub to a 17" x 3" Excel rim because of the increased tire choices at that size. A 19" or 21" rim will work, but will require the Buell fender to be modified. The harley narrow or wide glide fender will require a good deal fabrication to adapt it to the Buell forks.

I am not sure I would do this again or even recommend it to anyone else.

Steve Storz at Stroz Performance has complete inverted front ends that will bolt on and use a harley fender. Howard at Motorcycle Metal has done all the work to adapt Ohlins forks to harley's and has some very nice packages available.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

themaninblack wants to know Dino or Syn?
Awesome info, I too would love to do this to my FXDX but don't know if I'll ever shell out the money.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I really wanna do this, maybe a Buell front end is the wrong choice? Some say GSXR front end, preferable an 1100? I font want to go through sending the front end I buy out to get custom springs and other work done... kinda don't have the $. I'm gonna research measurements & specs, the GSXR 1100 has s bit more weight than the Buell I would think so I will look into that. Thanks for all the responses... anybody need any advice I'd be glad to throw in my 2 cents, I build a mean motor and know a pretty good deal about Evo's and Twin Cams.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

raycwheeler wants to know Dino or Syn?
Storz/Cerrani Inverted.

Give Steve Storz a call and check out the inverted set ups he has perfected.
Mine has worked flawlessly for over 130,000 miles, drag strip, Bonneville and the highways.
Perfect!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	62379  
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cool

Ended up finding a complete ZX7 front end on Craigslist so cheap it was worth the 2 your trip... measurements are very close and upon mock up we were amazed that the bolt patern on the rotors fit right up to the Dyna rim, the neck is identical at roughly 7 inches and trail is very close, slightly closer to bike but should handle crisp. Half the weight of stock front end, looks bad ass and is close to same ride height since using Dyna rim and factory tire size 100 19. Thank for all your advice, tips and two cents! Factory front FXDX front end may be up for grabs when I'm done getting trees designed and machined... will post pics.

Last edited by chopper chris; 02-21-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

The front end is finally done, custom billet trees i designed were cnc machined, so much extra work and trials were needed! fitment issues, more trips to my machinest that made me want to give up but we got it mocked up and it rides like a dream! cant get enough of the corners and no more high speed wobble. since its about 2 inches lower, it wont wheelie now...so i have to engineer a way to get some length out of the front. all powdercoated and looking sick, will try and post pics. thanks for all your help / input.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Last edited by chopper chris; 11-04-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Jbco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talk to Ed Connors,
He makes a very nice 3-4 inch extension for the metric forks.

Joe
Jbco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Dang! I can't see the pic!!??

No issues with the weight difference between the Kaw and your bike?
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement