V1 of my handguards is complete.
I patterned them off of these but my design is a touch different.
Someone else's guards
I did some eyeballin' and some figurin. Then I did a little drawing, followed by a cardboard mock-up/template, and then I moved on to 18-gauge sheet. Wish I had some extra 16-gauge laying around the garage, but it appears I used it all up. Oh well.
Left side cut out and mounting tabs being figured out, almost looks like a stop sign.
I seem to be suffering from a distinct lack of metal brakes in my garage so I had to improvise.
Same goes for a bead roller. No shot of the process, but I used my previous "metal brake" pieces with a small spacer and hammered the center "bead roll" into the guard for some stability.
A shot of both now that they're done:
Sprayed them black with Plasti-coat and popped the windshield back on:
We'll see how they perform tomorrow on the way in to work. If the design is sound, I'll make two more sets (one for my Dad and one for a buddy) and call this one a success!