Is my dealer ripping me off? 2011 Street Bob in NY : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

dominick32 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is my dealer ripping me off? 2011 Street Bob in NY

hey guys. i want to know what you think.
I need to buy a 2011 Street Bob brand new and I am ready to buy.
Walked into 1 dealer on long island today and got this quote.

MSRP on the bike is 12,999 + black denim paint upgrade 375.00 = 13,374.00 + taxes, reg, etc etc.

He gave me an Out The Door price of 14,650 for a brand new black denim 2011 Street Bob. I did the calculations and I am getting charged full MSRP. Do you think there are any dealers that would take care of me and save me some money or will I be unfortunately paying full MSRP everywhere I go? I really need to know what you guys think before I buy it.

I am going to pay upfront and full cash for everything. I thought they would want to get rid of some bikes for good ole american green. i told the guy I would shop around and call him back.

Thanks for any help guys.

Dom
dominick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

y2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
without running the numbers I will give you my experience.

late 2008 when the 09's came out I shopped all the dealers here on th island, they were all within $10 of each other, I decided that I should shop some out of state within 150 miles dealers, I found that blockers in pa gave me a price that was approx. (I don't remember exactly) 2000.00 yes 2k less than here on the island....needless to say, I too a trailer and went and got my new ultra, I went out thanksgiving weekend to look at the colors, and picked the bike up dec.13th 2 years ago.....

If your real adventurous call tri county hd and ask for jenni, tell her your a member of mutliple forums, and ask for a price, they are in ohio, but its probably worth the trip if you factor in the savings
y2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

towboattrash34 wants to know Dino or Syn?
heck my 06 Dyna Lowrider cost me right at 21,000 in 06 out the door..

2012 CVO Ultra. And loving it !!!

06 Dyna Lowrider...Sold..Gone,but not forgotten...
towboattrash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

NHFree1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The only way to NOT get ripped off at the dealer is to NOT shop there. Sorry...couldn't resist. I only buy used so what do I know.

"To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will." Ronald Reagan
NHFree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Shoptroll wants to know Dino or Syn?
You could always go for a 2010 leftover. Lots of dealers will knock up to $1500 off on those. You usually find better deals in January also.
Shoptroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCE
IronButt

MCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
how far are you willing to go to save some cash.

always msrp, free freight and set up. I've bought 5 bikes here
http://www.benbreecehd.com/

a friend just bought a bike for below msrp here
http://www.wolverinehd.com/
Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the responses guys. is there anyone else in my situation that is wanting to buy or just bought a Street Bob? I am really curious as to why this dealer wont even budge 1 dollar off of MSRP. It sounds crazy to me,.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

PeteSorensen wants to know Dino or Syn?
Maybe they're such a bunch of dickheads that they have a low allocation and have to maximize on what they get... not making excuses but I can not understand why they are so rigid either.
PeteSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick32 View Post
Thanks for all of the responses guys. is there anyone else in my situation that is wanting to buy or just bought a Street Bob? I am really curious as to why this dealer wont even budge 1 dollar off of MSRP. It sounds crazy to me,.
It is crazy, I spent almost 3 hours in Miracle Mile with a check in my pocket and they dicked me around, I walked out, Lighthouse actually ignored me when I walked the empty showroom floor, again I had a check in my pocket, Nassau and Suffolk told me the great deal I was getting and they were both $10 bucks off of each other. I was very nervous about buying the bike out of state, but on top of the money the dealer saved me, I didn't pay tax on any accessories when I registered it in NY I just paid tax on the bike alone, I have had no issues with warranty work either. I had my g/f call the dealers and get me prices because I knew what I wanted, when I got home from work I had 3 faxes from out of state dealers, all the local dealers told me that I was being lied to about the price, they were the ones lying.....seriously just call and ask for a quote, even if you had to rent a rig to go pick the bike up you would save a ton
Old 11-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sjgrzz wants to know Dino or Syn?
You have the cash in hand....they don't. Tell them you want $$$$ off or no deal. They want to sell that bike worse than they are letting o to
sjgrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgrzz View Post
You have the cash in hand....they don't. Tell them you want $$$$ off or no deal. They want to sell that bike worse than they are letting o to
unfortunately it doesn't work that way here on Long Island, I almost believe the dealers are price fixing the bikes
Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Tbones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Whatever you do, do not pay for dealer prep and shipping... That's a rip off big time... If they insist on keeping it in the price, walk away....
Tbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

as usual thanks for the fast responses guys.
Yes, I have bought a lot of new cars my whole life,used , never a harley before so this 4 dealership long island lockdown has me a bit shaken up. I did get the impression before I left the dealer that Long Island has some kind of Harley Davidson Dealership Owners Mafia or something. "quick attempt at a joke" lol

Reason being, I asked the guy straight up>
"If I go to the other 3 dealers in our local area will they give me the exact same price on a black denim 2011 Bob 14,650??"
His response: "YES SIR!, And if they dont, let me know immediately because something aint right."

The moment he said those words I thought to myself "price fix" anyone. But at the same time I couldnt believe it, thats why I came home and immediately jumped on the computer to ask you guys. I dont want to make any stupid moves before I buy my bike, I want to do it right. So, this got me shaken up a bit because if I want to buy local, it looks like even with pure uncle sam green I have to pay full price including dealer extras and tax. Whether it be Miracle Mile, NYC Harley, Nassau Harley, Lighthouse Harley, or East Meadow Harley. Unless my logic is totally off here and the salesman is just pulling my chain.

But, I honestly saw the harley website and saw MSRP at 12,999 on a new street bob. I thought I was going to be walking out of the dealer yesterday with a new bike sold and waiting in the performance center WITH V&H pipes, arlen ness big sucker, and dealer a/f mapping included for 14,500. Not, 14,600 for the bike ALONE out the door.

So any more advice would be awesome fellas. Out of state would be last resort. reason being, a street bob is a lower priced harley like a sportster, under 13,500 dollars so dealers arent going to lower it THAT much. If it is only a 500 dollar savings to go out of state, between getting out there, trailer, etc. its not worth it to me personally. But the fact that not 1 dealer on long island can give me 500 off retail is CRAZY. Sorry for the long rant.

On a positive note. The salesman was unbelievably nice at lighthouse. The guy literal came right up to me when I walked in and spent a good 45 minutes with me, he kept listening to me ask questions and he never stopped wanting to give me advice. By the time I left, I knew who he rides with, his family members, his old bikes, his favorite sporting teams, lol. Nice salesman. But pricing, well you know the rest.

Regards,
Dom

Last edited by dominick32; 11-14-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought 4 new Bikes of different sizes and they all were about $1500.-2000.00 less. They are charging the price they are because they can and do. they are like lawyers they sit around the meating table with drinks and tell each other that they are selling off MSR and not less. The dealer I bought all mine from sold for less and sold more, H-D came in to him and cut the bikes he could get because he had a small store. The others are right go shopping and look on the dealers web sites
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

rbearden56 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Times are hard for the dealers too. Many do not exist anymore. The ones that are in business are not in a position to deal and discount stock because the volume of sales is not there. To expect a discount on a brand new bike is unrealistic because the margins of new bikes has dropped like everything else and if you want the bike you will pay MSRP, taxes, title, dealer prep, and a documentation fee. I don't know about NY but sales tax on 12,999 is around 900 buck so not you are at 13899 plus add title to the deal and total is consistent and the deal is not bad. It is not that the dealer is "ripping you off" it is "are you willing to pay his price"? If you can see the value of a brand new ride and willing to pay for that bike then then it is a good deal, if not keep looking. If all the dealers were willing to sell at what we wanted to pay, then there would be no dealers or bikes to buy. All of this stuff comes at a price and we the consumer will pay for it or do without. If you want a cheap bike then go buy an imported knock off if you want the real deal then man up and invest in your self.

Last edited by rbearden56; 11-14-2010 at 12:34 PM.
rbearden56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement