Detachable saddle bags and Sissy Bar : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

mark1526 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Detachable saddle bags and Sissy Bar

I have a 2007 low rider. I wanted to install both Detachable Bags and sissy bar. 2 dealers told me no way bags would stick out to far on the sides so I went with the detachable sissy bar. I was looking around on e-bay and stumbled on the same bike as mine and saw he had both. What gives? Can I have both??? Did they just come out with a mod?
mark1526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
you can have both check out this link http://bossbags.com/dyna.html I had them on my dyna when I had it , although I did not hace detachable backrest they have them for that option .

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

NR4TW wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1526 View Post
I have a 2007 low rider. I wanted to install both Detachable Bags and sissy bar. 2 dealers told me no way bags would stick out to far on the sides so I went with the detachable sissy bar. I was looking around on e-bay and stumbled on the same bike as mine and saw he had both. What gives? Can I have both??? Did they just come out with a mod?
I don't know if there was some change from '07 to '09, but I got both the detachable sissybar and detachable bags for my '09 FXD and there are no problems. The bags don't stick out "too far" at all.

Using EZ brackets or Ghost Brackets, even without a sissybar, would stick out much farther.

Part numbers are:
Detachable hardware docking kit: 53961-06
Detachable sideplates for sissybar: 52866-06
Medium low sissybar: 52754-04
Backrest pad: 52626-04
Detachable saddlebags: 90181-08A

You'll also need to relocate the turn signals.
NR4TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

dynadream wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the harley detachable sissy bar, laydown license plate and leatherpro's saddlebags(leatherpro's better bag that HD and cheaper) picture doesn't show the sissy bar. plus i have the tallboy seat for the wife
Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

fendermustang wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm in the process of trying to add saddlebags to my '05 FXDI. I already have the laydown license plate bracket installed, and just picked up a set of Saddleman rigid mount, quick disconnect, specific fit bags.
Out of the box, they won't work together. The threaded rode supplied with the bags isn't long enough to accomodate the mounts for the detachable sissy bar. A quick trip to the Home Despot, and I have the extra length needed to mount both. Another problem that immediately became apparent is that the rear sissy bar mount is a larger internal diameter than the stud used by Saddleman in the rear mounts. I'll see if I can shave down a coupler to get it to fit snuggly.
The thought that the finished product might stick out too far is a concern, but for now it seems like it will only be an additional inch to an inch and a half. How far is too far? If anyone has done this before with the Harley detachable sissy bar and the Saddleman bags, let me know how you put it on. Otherwise, I'll post my results when I'm done.
fendermustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mounted

I'm still waiting for a friend to run the turn signal lines, but the saddlebags are now mounted. The rain started just after I took some pictures of it, so I wasn't able to take it for a shakedown run, but there's some friction between the flaps of the bags and the back of the seat. I don't think there's going to be a problem with the bags dragging.
The license plate bracket/ turn signal mount is in place, and there doesn't look to be any interaction between them. If anyone needs a closer look to do the same set-up, send me a message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-31 18.37.43.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	59184  
Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mailman Always Delivers

mailman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have LeatherPro detachable bags and a HD detachable sissybar with luggage rack on my 2004 FXDL. No problems what so ever. Both are lockable. Now that I have the saddlebags,I am probably going to ditch the rack.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Someone did ask me to post some photos of how the bags mounted. I reused the sissy bar studs in the back. Instead of the 5/16 rod that was provided, I cut my own just over an inch longer than what came with the saddlebags. Other than that, all hardware was used. The instructions provided with the saddlebags might as well have not been there; completely useless.

Any other questions, shoot me a line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement