Front Axle Size - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

blkfalc4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
41mm and 1" axle? FXWG maybe? Custom? I know 97-05 FXDWG are 3/4"
The 25mm axle is for 49mm tubes so I would measure to make sure it will work as I would think 49mm lowers would be wider.
Fullsac 'X' pipe and recore muffs
TTS
'013' BMW K1600GTL
blkfalc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
FNG :)

GYMSBYJO wants to know Dino or Syn?
See...This is what happens when you buy stuff on Ebay!! I bought the front end as a take-off wide -glide "2000 up" front end. At that point I didn't even realize there were 1" axles. ( I have an '82. Don't really pay much attention to the new ones. Since Harley started going crazy with 100 different models.) When I got it and saw how large the axle was and that my current wheel wouldn't work, I started researching and found out about the 1" thing. I then started looking for a new wheel with 1" bearings. This wheel supposedly had 1" bearings and was also for 2000 up. I had it for weeks before trying to use it. Then surprise....the axle doesn't fit this wheel either. More research and here I am learning that Harley has become retarded and is changing sizes constantly so parts are no longer easily interchangeable. Good for them because parts will sit unused in peoples garages. Bad for us because it gives them a chance to rip us off out of a few more dollars.

Bottom line.... shame on me for not doing my homework before starting the project. Shame on me for thinking that because someone advertises a 1" bearing that it would actually be a 1" bearing. But... I think when it's done I'm going to like the look and a little bit of extra work isn't going to kill me. I enjoy working on the bike anyway and now I've learned something.

Last edited by GYMSBYJO; 04-02-2010 at 08:44 AM.
GYMSBYJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

GYMSBYJO wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had the axle turned. Went together nice and easy. Now that I think about it, I could have had it turned down to 3/4" and used my older wheel.
GYMSBYJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

NJtrainer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am about to go through the same situation. I have a 1993 FXLR, 21 inch front wheel. for narrow glide. I bought a used wide glide front end. I hoped I could just buy a matching wheel, and put it on, and keep my narrow set up in the garage.
I guess I really have to measure, to get the proper wheel, and Bearing combo. I have the axle already,, How did you guys measure the axle,, do I put a tape measure against the outside edge ? or use a flexible tape measure, and wrap it around, measuring circumference.?
that may sound like a stupid question,, but Id really like to make this easy on myself.
So let me ask you-- GYMSBYJO
after you had your axle turned down (at a machine shop, im guessing) the bearings and spacers and everything you got with that wheel.. all worked out.? or did you still have to buy other parts.?
Tom in NJ ,, THANKS for any help
Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

ironhead smitty wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have this same type of issue. I am reluctant to turn my 1" axle down to fit my new wheel with a 3/4" bearing. Seems like a lot of stress in a wide glide set up. Am I wrong?
ironhead smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement