Turn Signal Problem : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

DavidH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Turn Signal Problem

I have a turn signal problem. When I turn on the ignition the right turn signal comes on. Press the switch and nothing happens. Press the left switch and sometimes the left comes on and the right goes out, sometimes the emergency flashers come on. Press the left again and they both go out. I have switched out all the bulbs and cleaned the connections. I have a module that turns your rear signals into both brake lights and signals so I disconnected that. Still had the problem. Anyone got any ideas?

David

DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
sounds like it is shorted or stuck making contact
that is why when you hit the other one the flashers come on.
have you been riding in the rain or has the bike gotten wet and been setting?
try getting some contact cleaner and shoot into the switch
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Locodave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Usually when I have electronics going wacky. I check that there is a good ground.

Guessing on inital startup, the right turn signal comes on. A switch prob or pinched wires touching @ the loom. Goofing up the rest of the system. Try disconnecting the right turn signal switch from the loom to isolate if thats the prob. JMHO Dave
Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this? luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have the exact same problem. I bought a new TSM and it got better, but still acts up occasionally. I have been through all the wiring and can't seem to find the problem. By chance, do you have a Fuelpak installed?
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.
Stop feeding the trolls!
luvstoride is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

keep it simple...check the simple stuff first... it is not all that uncommon for a switch to be making contact when it shouldn't.
that is why I said to check the switch on the turn signal that comes on by its self
it could be broken and the contacts are stuck together or it could have water in it and that is making contact with the two sides of the switch contact.
Hell it takes about 5 min to prove that out before you start tearing crap apart
If you wanna start digging in....try unpluging the conection on the harness to that turn signal and check continuity ..switch open...no reading, switch closed you should see it on the meter or if you have a meter with sound you should hear it

Last edited by Nitram_b4; 03-13-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

chester1957 wants to know Dino or Syn?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
keep it simple...check the simple stuff first... it is not all that uncommon for a switch to be making contact when it shouldn't.
that is why I said to check the switch on the turn signal that comes on by its self
it could be broken and the contacts are stuck together or it could have water in it and that is making contact with the two sides of the switch contact.
Hell it takes about 5 min to prove that out before you start tearing crap apart

Bad switch caused the same problems on a 05 FXST, I think Nitram has it covered pretty well.
chester1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

I took it to the indy this morning. He thought it was probably the switch as well. It checked good though. He thinks it's the TSM so since it's still under warranty I took it to the dealer. If it was just the switch I was just going to get the Indy to do it just because I hate to have my bike at the dealer for three days. I'll let you all know what it turns out to be. Thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

Woodstock Jeff wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the same problem with my 06 Road King - left signal always comes on when I turn on the ignition, only way to shut it off is to hit the right switch and then "sometimes" the 4 ways come on. Additionally the left signal will randomly turn on all by its self. I checked the switch and it shows that it closes on the ohm meter every time it is pressed. If I unplug the left switch at the 6 way plug in the headlight it does not come on with the ignition and does not work at all.

Any other thoughts beyond what has been posted ?

BTW ... I ride alot, rain or shine, the bike gets drenched on a regular basis ! Also, where is the TSM on a RK ?

Thanks, Jeff ...
Woodstock Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock Jeff View Post
I have the same problem with my 06 Road King - left signal always comes on when I turn on the ignition, only way to shut it off is to hit the right switch and then "sometimes" the 4 ways come on. Additionally the left signal will randomly turn on all by its self. I checked the switch and it shows that it closes on the ohm meter every time it is pressed. If I unplug the left switch at the 6 way plug in the headlight it does not come on with the ignition and does not work at all.

Any other thoughts beyond what has been posted ?

BTW ... I ride alot, rain or shine, the bike gets drenched on a regular basis ! Also, where is the TSM on a RK ?

Thanks, Jeff ...
That is exactly what mine is doing and I ride rain or shine too. Indy says TSM but the dealer says it's the switch. I watched the tech at the Indy troubleshoot the switch and it closed every time. Being that it's under warranty I took it to the dealer because the TSM is not cheap. Riding from the Indy to the dealer the signal would come on for no reason. To me it sounds like the switch is bad. I guess I just have to wait and see. What really pisses me off is the fact that it will take them until Friday to get the switch and fix my bike. On a brighter note. My front brake master cylinder has major corrosion issues. That will all be replaced under warranty as well.

David

Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

great looking bike
Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

Woodstock Jeff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Up-date:

I pulled the switch hosing apart, hit the switch with WD-40 (Water Dry -40). Also found one of the wires from the switch in the 6 way connector (in the head light) partially pulled out of the plug. This "may" have been opening and closing the switch circuit just as the switch does, causing the TSSM to activate the signal??
Anyhow - all is working fine so far - but all I have for use is 8-10 trips to the garage in the last several days to turn on the ignition to see if the signal comes on, and one "dry" ride of about 45 min.

Jeff ....
Woodstock Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

I am hoping to get my bike back tomorrow. It's been in the shop since last Saturday for a turn signal switch. Unbelievable!

Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Got the bike back today and the new switch fixed the problem. The dealer also replaced the front master cylinder (levers and all) under warranty. The master cylinder was corroded from fluid seeping under the cover.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

chester1957 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Glad to hear your up and running

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Got the bike back today and the new switch fixed the problem. The dealer also replaced the front master cylinder (levers and all) under warranty. The master cylinder was corroded from fluid seeping under the cover.
Nice bike. As for the master cylinder replacement, good for you.

I know a dealer, that if you have that problem the first thing they say is that you either didn't torque the screws enough OR you torqued them too much. They weren't very receptive to the fact that they torqued them on my free 1000 service I had thrown in on the purchase deal. Or the fact that I broke both the cheap and expensive H-D filter wrench trying to get the oil filter off at the next oil change. It took my $6 strap wrench to get it off.
chester1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester1957 View Post
Nice bike. As for the master cylinder replacement, good for you.

I know a dealer, that if you have that problem the first thing they say is that you either didn't torque the screws enough OR you torqued them too much. They weren't very receptive to the fact that they torqued them on my free 1000 service I had thrown in on the purchase deal. Or the fact that I broke both the cheap and expensive H-D filter wrench trying to get the oil filter off at the next oil change. It took my $6 strap wrench to get it off.
I've been using a cheap oil filter wrench i notched out with a dremel,instead of buying the more expensive HD one with the notch already in it,think
I saved like 20 bucks,also,the K&N filter has a nut welded on the filter,makes getting it on and off WAY easier.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.