best oil filter wrench : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

bbqbrisket wants to know Dino or Syn?
best oil filter wrench

I could have put this out in a general forum question but every time I see an oil filter wrench advertised, there is some caveat about not OK for twin cams or has cut out to clear crank sensor or some other note of importance so, since I have a Dyna, I'm here.

What is the best oil filter wrench / easiest to use / non knuckle scraping / and of course price. I see one guy has a fancy tool he invented for a lot of money where you don't need a ratchet but what could be easier than using the ratchet. I also have seen folks go down to the auto parts store, get a standard one that fits the perimeter of the filter and make cut outs. I really don't want to hassle with that.

thanks
bbqbrisket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
U can get one at an auto parts store {take a filter with you}. It will not have the "cutout", {you will have to remove the CPS when changing the filter} but it won't cost $30.

Last edited by Fourcats; 12-19-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
buy a cheap strap style, they work on almost any filter used for the common stuff. No need to have cut out. Cost maybe 10 bucks. Just had to replace mine after 10+ years of use the strap finaly let go. Not bad for 10 bucks.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

road king 100 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbrisket View Post
I could have put this out in a general forum question but every time I see an oil filter wrench advertised, there is some caveat about not OK for twin cams or has cut out to clear crank sensor or some other note of importance so, since I have a Dyna, I'm here.

What is the best oil filter wrench / easiest to use / non knuckle scraping / and of course price. I see one guy has a fancy tool he invented for a lot of money where you don't need a ratchet but what could be easier than using the ratchet. I also have seen folks go down to the auto parts store, get a standard one that fits the perimeter of the filter and make cut outs. I really don't want to hassle with that.

thanks
use a K&N filter with nut welded on end of filter
Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

murphdog wants to know where he is and how he got here
I got a Kent-Moore HD-44067 wrench from the dealer here for about $10, apparently they're more now. It has the cutout.
On my '07 motor, there's more room between the crank sensor and the filter so you don't need the cutout.
murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recommend spend that $20 for the wrench from the dealer for your $17 K - $30 K bike. Use the wrench, a long extension, and....don't forget to reconnect your voltage regulator plug.

Another thing that makes like much easier....install filter as "hand tight" as you can get it. Won't leak and it will come off much easier.
Assuming clean, dry filter and clean hands so you can actually crank down on it.
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can dremel the cutout in the filter cap wrench easily. I also have a few different kinds of wrenches in the box like a cap wrench, strap wrench, and plier wrench, and 3 jaw style. Also some brand filters come off easier than others.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
or, you can buy K&N oil filters. they come with a hex-head on the end so any crescent or box wrench will do. Plus, it's a K&N.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

maddogg4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
strap wrench or an old thin leather belt is all I have ever used with ease. If you need any thing stronger than that you are putting the filter on too tight.
maddogg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCE
IronButt

MCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use K&N oil filters, I buy them 4 at a time at https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.html.
aftermarket part number is KN-171C
the C is for chrome, loose the C and you get a black one. although the black one didn't show on their site. I have an old steel strap type oil filter wrench that fits around the stock ones.

Last edited by MCE; 12-20-2009 at 07:27 AM.
MCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

EasyWider wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought the one from Drag Specialties. Same as the HD filter wrench at about 1/2 the price.
EasyWider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
repeat offender

Flyin Brian wants to know Dino or Syn?
+1 on the cheap generic strap wrench. I don't use mine as much as HDWRENCH does, but I have had mine 10 years and it works perfect.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Mul...017_0006395283

This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable sub-atomic resources for future generations.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

tdlowrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg4 View Post
strap wrench or an old thin leather belt is all I have ever used with ease. If you need any thing stronger than that you are putting the filter on too tight.
I can usually get mine off by hand
tdlowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

lowmileage wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yesterday, I couldn't find my homemade cut-out wrench I made. Channelocks worked just fine. Only tightened the new one 1/2 turn from finger tight.

1975 Honda 750 K5 - Original owner.

Remembering my Dad, 1917-2003, who rode Harleys before it was fashionable.
lowmileage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

DavHJ wants to know Dino or Syn?
This is the oil filter wrench that i like I think it works great.

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id79.html

And this drip pan

http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/...son-Oil-Funnel

Dave
DavHJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.