dyna fuel gauge question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

97'ES wants to know Dino or Syn?
dyna fuel gauge question

Hey guys, I just let my father use my Super for biketoberfest and the battery was 6 or 7 years old and when it got down there it was done for. He had it replaced, and now the fuel gauge doesn't function at all. It doesn't light up or move with turning the ignition on. I'm guessing it has to be something that didn't get reconnected? I can't find anything. The gauge worked up until the replacement he said. I know it worked great in the past, much better then most people seem to say on here. btw please no one tell me to forget about it and use the trip meter, that like saying you've found a streetable advantage to carburetion over EFI, there isn't one lol. This is 2009 not 1969 and truthfully I cant stand looking at it dead. I also checked the service manual but I cannot read wiring diagrams as i am not an electrical engineer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
97'ES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
start with the simple first, check all fuses then I would look around the battery maybe even pull it and see if perhaps something got pulled or knocked loose when it was replaced .
From looking at my service man, which is from an 02 so may be different than yours there should be a black ground wire and an orange wire feeding the guage look for possibly a bad ground near the battery or main ground lug on the frame.

LoneEagle

Last edited by LoneEagle964; 10-23-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo's
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
My battery has more than one wire going to the terminals, make sure they didn't forget to connect one.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are you talking about on your 96 FXD? I didn't think they had gauges on those models... is it an aftermarket deal?

I wrenched for 4 years, but didn't see that many older Dynas. I'm pretty sure Softails of that vintage did NOT have gauges.

But in general... there is only ONE cable at the battery terminal on stock bikes. Someone might install a Battery Tender, or some other accessory (light kit, etc), but a bike from the factory will just have the one cable. There would not be anything near the battery regarding the fuel gauge.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seeing his bike didn't some with a fuel gauge from the factory, then one must have been added. Which makes it possible that there's more than one wire going to the battery like mine.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm pretty sure the 95 and up FXD's had fuel gauges.

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

sam sam the mex wants to know Dino or Syn?
my 99 came stock with a fuel gauge!!!!
sam sam the mex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

d1hojo wants to know where he is and how he got here
If you re read the post it is a 2009, not a 1969. On my 07 the connection for the fuel guage is under the tank on the left side. I would look at fuse first. That's all I can help out

d1hojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 1996 FXD's had a factory fuel gauge which is set below the fuel fill in the center of the dash. Since the gauge stopped working to include the light after the battery was changed I would suspect a wire left disconnected.

Last edited by rickr01; 10-25-2009 at 01:58 PM.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1hojo View Post
If you re read the post it is a 2009, not a 1969. On my 07 the connection for the fuel guage is under the tank on the left side. I would look at fuse first. That's all I can help out
How did a 2009 come with a 6 or 7 year old battery?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1hojo View Post
That was only a statement he made referencing the times. The FXD listed in the picture is a 1996.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
No one rides for free

Bud Man wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr01 View Post
That was only a statement he made referencing the times. The FXD listed in the picture is a 1996.
And if you find a 1969 Superglide, I will pay big money as that is a very rare bike.

Last edited by Bud Man; 10-25-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks for the input guys, yeah i was only referencing the times with the 2009 thing lol, I wish it was an 09'. Its a 96' and the fuel gauge is stock equipment to my knowledge. I haven't honestly had a chance to dig around yet, too busy with work and school. I'm going to screw with it tonight and let you guys know but your probably right rick as my fogs aren't working either, so whoever installed this battery was evidently mentally incapable. Thanks for all the responses though, I love the activity on this forum.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

i checked every connection under the seat and everything is in order. The fuse and relay on the fogs are good. As are the grounds. Any other fuses I should look for in relation to the fuel gauge? or connections?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Instead of looking for something disconnected... it could be that a 13 year old device just might be broke ?? Possibly the sending unit is bad.... or the sending unit is good but the gauge itself is bad.

You mentioned having a Service Manual... is there any diagnostic steps for checking that?

Unfortunately... I know all too well that the Service Manuals before the Twin Cam years are SORELY lacking in good information, especially for electrical diagnostics...

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.