v-rod vs dyna : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

sglidejay wants to know Dino or Syn?
v-rod vs dyna

How many of you have friends that have v-rods that have raced and how did you do?
sglidejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
have whipped several. keep it short, and dont even think about a 100mph roll-on.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

midnight sporty wants to know Dino or Syn?
claydbal what size motors in that dyna.. cus i can tell you right now. id run my vrod for pinks on any stock air cooled harley and can be absolutly positive ill take that bike... as long as its stock. ive also had my friend race my vrod aginst me on my crossbones with a 107 and the vrod still pulls it after second gear.... so i can tell you that the person you raced was a boner off the line or you have a built bike..
midnight sporty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
have whipped several. keep it short, and dont even think about a 100mph roll-on.

I'm 1 and 1 at the track vs Vrods. The one I lost to had work done to it, a pipe, running a slick and the guy could ride. He ran an 11.3 to my high 11.

Not as good a driver on the one I beat and dunno if it was stock.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.

Last edited by FXDRYDR; 10-20-2009 at 01:52 PM.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

sglidejay wants to know Dino or Syn?
dyna vs vrod

my dyna has a 95",204 cams, heads flowed adjustable timing module 2 into 1 v & h pro pipe modified stock carb. against a stock
vrod with the pipes and ecu cal we are close to around 90-95 then it puts the mph on, say they are running 130ish and i am around 115, 3 of my friends have basically the same vrods and this is a 1st gear roll 10-15mph. now another friend has the screaming eagle
with the stage one and he has me beat when 2nd gear hits. we are all friends and love to play, just interested in where i was at. thanks for the replys. jay
sglidejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Redrubicon2004 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My brother has a 08 DX and I have run him countless times with my 100hp and 108TQ Dyna and he only slightly pulls on me. At the track he ran .7 faster than me on two good runs. My shift light wasnt working...Hit the limiter at least once per pass. I should also add that I weigh 50lbs more than him. He has a tuner, 2-1 rienhart and a smaller pulley on the trans. Before the pulley we were almost dead even.
Redrubicon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

vtwin7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can build a big twin Hd that will run or out run a stock Vrod, but it takes a pretty serious effort. Actually changing pipes on a Vrod doesn't always make more HP that stock pipes, in fact most cost HP. My Stock 07 Dx is rated at 120 Hp from the factory at the crank, more like 105 to 110 rear wheel. How much money does it take to build a big twin to get to those figures? No problem, it can be done, but most bang for the buck, Vrod.
vtwin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin7 View Post
How much money does it take to build a big twin to get to those figures? No problem, it can be done, but most bang for the buck, Vrod.
It could be done for about $1500.

$150 bore jugs
$175 pistons
$500 headwork
$300 cams
$150 pushrod
$200 tune

With that you would be right around 100hp and 100tq

Dyna 100hp and 100tq VS. V-rod 105hp and 80tq?

Not saying the dyna would be faster, but the V-rod has no room for error.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Let me spend the $1500 on a stock vrod and the Hp numbers go up from there. There is supposed to be a new bolt in set of SE cams good for 20 horse, not sure of price but still well under $1500. All I am trying to point out is start with two bone stock bikes one big twin, one Vrod and spend $1500 who is going to be faster? Not trying to start a pissin contest I sometimes have trouble explaining my thoughts, and they are my opinon I could be wrong.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
raced my buddies (he says it stage 2) stage 1 with se slip ons and download, it's the older 1130cc v-rod. i was running 109 hp 103 streetbob. we raced from a slow roll on in 1st, big mistake for him, because i put a few lenghts on him and when i hit 2nd he said i pulled some more on him. well i in 3rd and was thinking i had him, he went by me when i was going for 4th about 10mph faster then i was going. i would say i was in the to 80-85 mph when he passed.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC

Last edited by C-Cat; 10-20-2009 at 11:40 PM.
C-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrubicon2004 View Post
My brother has a 08 DX and I have run him countless times with my 100hp and 108TQ Dyna and he only slightly pulls on me. At the track he ran .7 faster than me on two good runs. My shift light wasnt working...Hit the limiter at least once per pass. I should also add that I weigh 50lbs more than him. He has a tuner, 2-1 rienhart and a smaller pulley on the trans. Before the pulley we were almost dead even.
.7 isn't a close race. are you sure you meant.7 or .07? 7 tenths of a second at 110 mph is large distance.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
C-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Cat View Post
raced my buddies (he says it stage 2) stage 1 with se slip ons and download, it's the older 1130cc v-rod. i was running 109 hp 103 streetbob. we raced from a slow roll on in 1st, big mistake for him, because i put a few lenghts on him and when i hit 2nd he said i pulled some more on him. well i in 3rd and was thinking i had him, he went by me when i was going for 4th about 10mph faster then i was going. i would say i was in the to 80-85 mph when he passed.
I guess I have become the resident Vrod expert LOL The Vrod starts making power at around five grand and pulls till about nine grand. Most just rev to five grand and dump the clutch, they are long and heavy enough to keep the front wheel on the ground, and depending on tires they hook and go.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Karsten wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just bought my Street Bob so I wouldn't have a clue. But I wonder how my Sportster 883/1200 Buell/Thunderstorm conversion that is pushing 80HP would fair against the VRod?

Humm, I guess I will have to go VRod hunting and there is one in town.

Karsten
Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Those things have a good weight to hp ratio, wonder if you could keep the front wheel on the ground, those thing are a wheelie machine.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Cat View Post
.7 isn't a close race. are you sure you meant.7 or .07? 7 tenths of a second at 110 mph is large distance.
It is when you consider bike to bike and I weigh 50lbs more! Also add the fact that my shift light wasn't working. I don't have a tach on the bike so I had to shift by ear....with a helmet on for the first time. My 60' times were 1.9 and his were 1.7...I still need to work on my launch. I am very comfident I could have gotten my times down to 12.3 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin7
Let me spend the $1500 on a stock vrod and the Hp numbers go up from there. There is supposed to be a new bolt in set of SE cams good for 20 horse, not sure of price but still well under $1500. All I am trying to point out is start with two bone stock bikes one big twin, one Vrod and spend $1500 who is going to be faster? Not trying to start a pissin contest I sometimes have trouble explaining my thoughts, and they are my opinon I could be wrong.
Consider this...
Alot of air cooled bikes have big bore kits in them. Its pretty common especially among the ones who would consider running a V-rod.

Alot of V-rods are basically stock except for programmers, pipes and filters. Not many indy's will work on them so I would guess that may lead to not many of them being modded beyond the basics. Not everyone turns their own wrenches.

Your right, $1500 in a V-rod will go along way, but most dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.