wierd vibration, very distinct : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

thetryal wants to know Dino or Syn?
wierd vibration, very distinct

I was riding around today and cming to a stop i rolled off the throttle and a very sudden vibration occured. you can feel i through the entire bike. it happens when i roll off the throttle. it doesnt matter what speed. it feels similar to transmission drag in a car. if you hae ever towed a load ad had to brake suddenly, the truck shakes and vibrates, kind of an anti lock brakes feel. does anyone know what this could be?
thetryal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is the vibration before you pull the clutch in...and does it go away immediately as soon as you do squeeze the clutch?
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

thetryal wants to know Dino or Syn?
when the clutch is pulled in, most of it goes away
thetryal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Iron Butt, SS2000

jerry34208 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have the front motor mount checked.

'01 FXD built & tuned by Doc

Now if only I could learn to ride worth a sh!t...
jerry34208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

jmpancoast1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Were you on the front brake at all when you experienced the vibration? If so, you may be suffering from the famous front end clunk. Correct torquing of the steering head bearing adjustment nut and the top stem nut may be needed. If it is an 06 or later Dyna, Harley has a new washer to replace the OEM washer under the top stem nut. The part number for this washer is 45740-07. This replacement nut is per service bulletin #M-1215a.
jmpancoast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Kivaari wants to know Dino or Syn?
vibe

I had a vibration at about 1500-1800 rpm. After a while it would go away....turns out it was a loose compensator nut that would back off and then retighten after acceleration....
Kivaari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

wannavee wants to know Dino or Syn?
on mine (07 Dyna) the clevis pin that mounts the kickstand was hitting a case bolt when you used the rear brake thereby telegraphing the engine vibe to the frame. My dealer cured it by installing the pin backwards.
wannavee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

1969K10 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetryal View Post
I was riding around today and cming to a stop i rolled off the throttle and a very sudden vibration occured. you can feel i through the entire bike. it happens when i roll off the throttle. it doesnt matter what speed. it feels similar to transmission drag in a car. if you hae ever towed a load ad had to brake suddenly, the truck shakes and vibrates, kind of an anti lock brakes feel. does anyone know what this could be?
sounds very similar to what I felt when I discovered I had a broken rear motor mount. Mine was worse w/ a passenger.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

ronoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetryal View Post
broken rear or/and front motor mount
ronoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Spaceman64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile Wierd vibration very distinct

Hi, I have the same thing going on with my bike, when I'm slowing down to stop and I close the throttle I get a shaking of the whole bike as it decelerates. The shaking slows down as the engine slows. When I down shift and let the clutch out it does it again. Seems like it started doing it after the 1k service was done. They also did the stage 1 air cleaner and download at the same time. I can't think of anything done during this service that could have anything to do with the vibration? Bike is 08 Street Bob all stock besides the stage 1 and Khrome Werks slip on mufflers.
Spaceman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

scott w wants to know Dino or Syn?
What is a compensator nut?
scott w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

84FXRP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott w View Post
What is a compensator nut?
Scott,

The compensator nut is the part (the nut) that attaches the front sprocket to the motor crank.

When a cylinder of a v-twin fires there is a very strong power pulse. To keep from shaking the bike and rider apart these pulses have to be "smoothed" out. Harley does this by NOT solidly attaching the front sprocket to the engine - they use a "compensating sprocket".

A crank shaft extension, double sprocket, sliding cam, and a stiff spring together form a "compensating sprocket". When a cylinder fires, the power stroke is smoothed out by the action of the compensator cam and springs.

The compensator nut is what holds the compensating sprocket assembly on the crank.

There are a LOT of forces acting on this nut and sometimes the nut loosens up. A loose compensator nut results in a compensating sprocket that can move laterally on the crank. A loose compensator nut therefore is one potential source of engine vibration.

Harley-Davidson issued service bulletin a while back that changed the procedure for tightening the compensator nut, after a spate of bikes had problems with this nut working loose.

Last edited by 84FXRP; 04-02-2008 at 12:09 PM.
84FXRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

vit-1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the same problem. Only happens at slow speeds on decel. Seems to be only in the front end,like a wobble more than a vibration. I thought it might be the front tire being worn, but I still have tread. How do I check the motor mount?

06 FXDWGI
vit-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

hogwilddyna wants to know Dino or Syn?
thetryal,T
Trying not to get long winded here……so here goes,
I’ve got a similar condition with my 07 FXDWG. Since I’m coming from a bike with a solid motor mount, it’s hard to get a point of reference. I really noticed the vibration when I went to an aftermarket set of mirrors. The things are shaking so much I can barely see cars behind me. After reading another thread on this forum I had the dealer check my front motor mount. It appeared strange that with the mount bolts out, and the engine lowered to the front frame mount, the mounting holes were off by a full hole. So, I had them raise the motor until the mount holes and the frame holes were aligned. Then this left me with approx. 1/4” space between the two, which I used solid spacers to fill. All this being said, when I made the next ride the vibration was still there. When riding down the road at 70mph. I can pull in the clutch and as the motor winds down the vibration is all but gone. This tells me it is definitely being induced from the engine. The dealer has told me this is inherent with a Harley. This may be true, however when I questioned why this much vibration would be in the frame at cruise speed with a rubber mounted engine he basically couldn’t give me an answer. Still trying to find the “silver bullet“ myself.
hogwilddyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84FXRP View Post
Scott,

The compensator nut is the part (the nut) that attaches the front sprocket to the motor crank.

When a cylinder of a v-twin fires there is a very strong power pulse. To keep from shaking the bike and rider apart these pulses have to be "smoothed" out. Harley does this by NOT solidly attaching the front sprocket to the engine - they use a "compensating sprocket".

A crank shaft extension, double sprocket, sliding cam, and a stiff spring together form a "compensating sprocket". When a cylinder fires, the power stroke is smoothed out by the action of the compensator cam and springs.

The compensator nut is what holds the compensating sprocket assembly on the crank.

There are a LOT of forces acting on this nut and sometimes the nut loosens up. A loose compensator nut results in a compensating sprocket that can move laterally on the crank. A loose compensator nut therefore is one potential source of engine vibration.

Harley-Davidson issued service bulletin a while back that changed the procedure for tightening the compensator nut, after a spate of bikes had problems with this nut working loose.
This nut loosens more oftem on 03 and later engines. It is directly attributable to the crankshaft bearings that are now used. Also the threads on the crank don't go far enopugh, so a shim or milled nut is needed to do the job correctly. there is also a new torqueing process to use.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement