05 Dyna Battery cover removal : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

kodio wants to know Dino or Syn?
05 Dyna Battery cover removal

I need to remove my battery and clean the terminals in part of a trouble shooting sequence as my 05 Lowrider is not starting. The negative terminal is getting hot and melting the wrap on the harness that passes by that terminal, and I can't figure out how the heck to get the battery cover off. I have poked and prodded, pried and prayed, but I can't see any obvious way of removing the battery cover. However, I don't have my owner's manual. It is packed up in a POD since I am in the midst of moving.

Can someone help me out here? I'd really like to get this thing apart so I can check the obvious.
kodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

jellopis wants to know Dino or Syn?
First, sorry for my english.

1- Remove the seat, do not mark the rear fender.
2- unscrew the ground bolt, is over the starter engine, where the ground cable ends, and when free, fit it on a isolant cover to avoid contacts.
3- there are two bolts to free, on the right side of the bike.
You must unscrew the vertical bolt, and only free the horizontal bolt.
Next, the battery support lows enought to remove it.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ironwoods wants to know Dino or Syn?
Always pack yer HD service manual and the coffee pot last. I speak from experience.
Ironwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Make sure you loosen the bolts on the right side (horizontal) first and then loosen the bolt that is vertical by the battery. That will lower the tray. I have an older Wideglide but I believe most of the battery mountings are basically the same.
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

kodio wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks, all! I got the battery out, filed the terminals (there had been some arcing on the neg side, and it was loose), cleaned the lugs, put it all back together and it fired right up. Sweet music!

For the clarification for anyone else not heeding Ironwoods' advice and not packing their manual until last, there are two bolts as the others mentioned. On my 05 Lowrider there is a vertical bolt under the ignition switch and a horizontal bolt below that (both to the left of the battery cover as you face it). I removed the horizontal and loosened the vertical. That dropped down the tray as advertised and with a little wiggling the battery came out. There is not much slack in the positive lead.

Thanks again, folks. It's greatly appreciated.
kodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Enviroman22 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for asking the question. I needed this information too. Including the manual part.
Enviroman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

choppedglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've always taken both bolts out. Works fine, and then you have PLENTY of room!

~Joe
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

LimeyGlider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Really useful guys thanks. Damn manual doesn't cover this. Only problem is I can't get that vertical bolt loose! GGGGRRRR - OUCH my knuckles!!
LimeyGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement