Forward controls and engine guard : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Dyna
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

aMaverick wants to know Dino or Syn?
Forward controls and engine guard

OK, I am sure this has been discussed before but I cannot find an answer to my question. I have an 04 Low Rider. I want to put forward controls on it but also want an engine guard. Harley says it cannot happen. My dealer seems to agree. The same holes where the engine guard bolts to are the same ones the engine guard bolt to.
So is it true it cannot be done? Also, where do the highway pegs go with the front controls?

HP 100
TQ 103
SE A/C
BUB/Rinehart
SE heads
SE 95" kit
S&S 510G Cams
Billet Oil Cooler
Vietnam Vet
Life member DAV
ALR Post 6 Director
aMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

84FXRP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aMaverick
OK, I am sure this has been discussed before but I cannot find an answer to my question. I have an 04 Low Rider. I want to put forward controls on it but also want an engine guard. Harley says it cannot happen. My dealer seems to agree. The same holes where the engine guard bolts to are the same ones the engine guard bolt to.
So is it true it cannot be done? Also, where do the highway pegs go with the front controls?

See if your dealer can locate an engine guard that attached to the down tubes of the frame with clamps. Not the most attractive setup. I think it was in the 2005 catalog.

Take a look at the forward controls on the HD website "parts" section. The footpegs are attached right to the forward controls.
84FXRP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

murphdog wants to know where he is and how he got here
The forward controls use the holes your highway peg mounts are using now. Can't have both.
murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84FXRP
See if your dealer can locate an engine guard that attached to the down tubes of the frame with clamps. Not the most attractive setup. I think it was in the 2005 catalog.

Take a look at the forward controls on the HD website "parts" section. The footpegs are attached right to the forward controls.
Sorry, you are right about the pegs. This is an unexpected problem. The dealer near me is new and their parts dept doesn't know squat. The mechanics are good but don't have the 'miles' on them to know a way around this.
One alternative is a seat and I have talked to Bar. I like their seats and they seem very willing to make a seat I will be happy with. They think they can make one 4" farther back than the stock seat and it will probably be a bit higher due to the rear fender.
Well, I can live with it but am a little disappointed Harley didn't anticipate this and make an adjustment. I am going to look into this further. This is not rocket science here so I am sure I can work around it somehow even if I have to fabricate something and have it chromed.
Thanks for the tip on the 2005 catalog on the clamp ons.
If longer bolts were used and the engine guard had just flat plates to attach them that might work. The forward controls would bolt on after the guard.
And if one more person asks me why I didn't buy a Wide Glide I'll shoot them. ;-)

HP 100
TQ 103
SE A/C
BUB/Rinehart
SE heads
SE 95" kit
S&S 510G Cams
Billet Oil Cooler
Vietnam Vet
Life member DAV
ALR Post 6 Director
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Gary_L wants to know Dino or Syn?
How much did the frame change from '04 to '06?

Part # 49010-06 attqches to the bolt hole where the inspection sticker mounts and clamps to the downtubes via u-bolts.

The book says this guard is for '06 and later Dynas, but unless the frame is way different, it may fit.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Finally

Strick28 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Although it may not say so in the catalog I believe the guard for a wide glide will work. Atleast it does on an 03...Is there any difference in the 04 frame?
Strick28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Stashu11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 04 Low Rider with forward controls. I also have a Harley engine guard. I believe the part number is 49010-93. They make two engine guards that fit Dyna's. The one that fits the mid control models has somewhat square angles to it. The one that fits models with forward controls has a slightly more rounded appearance.

Hope this helps,

Stan
Stashu11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashu11
I have a 04 Low Rider with forward controls. I also have a Harley engine guard. I believe the part number is 49010-93. They make two engine guards that fit Dyna's. The one that fits the mid control models has somewhat square angles to it. The one that fits models with forward controls has a slightly more rounded appearance.

Hope this helps,

Stan
That's the one I put on my 03 FXD with Harley Forwards. This is another one of those items they say will not work but will
Old 02-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:

Hope this helps,

Stan
Now that's what I like to hear and why I started this thread. I knew it could be done and figured someone would have the answer. I had a feeling the guy at Harley's 800 # didn't know squat either.
All these people do is look in a book and if it does not say X will work with Y they are stumped.
I have seen that guard and it's rounder than the one I have but it will be OK.
Thanks for that info and thanks for the part numbers.
I may still change the seat but I like this way much better than a radical seat which would have been a fix but not the real solution.
So, it bolts at the top like the other but has U-bolts at the frame, that works. :-)
Now to decide to go with Harley's or Kuryakyn forward controls. I just saw a thread on that.

HP 100
TQ 103
SE A/C
BUB/Rinehart
SE heads
SE 95" kit
S&S 510G Cams
Billet Oil Cooler
Vietnam Vet
Life member DAV
ALR Post 6 Director
Old 02-22-2007, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sick Puppy

firetronix01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_L
How much did the frame change from '04 to '06?

Part # 49010-06 attqches to the bolt hole where the inspection sticker mounts and clamps to the downtubes via u-bolts.

The book says this guard is for '06 and later Dynas, but unless the frame is way different, it may fit.
06 frame is way different.Won't work.

Ex wifes preacher said"Yeah...I know, I'm going to hell."

95"
Street ported heads w/SE springs
9.6:1 SE high comp. forged pistons
SERT
ThunderHeader
Andrews 37G cams
ThunderVolt50 ign wires
Metzler tires
Progrssive suspension
the list goes on and on
firetronix01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

jkeenan213 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good post, I agonized over this one too, at 6'0", the forwards won. Anyone got pics of the 49010-93 engine guard with forward controls, particularly how it mounts? Had gotten used to no engine guard, but now re-thinking.
Revperf roller rockers 1.675
HP Inc 48mm T/B
Doherty Powerpacc/Vents
Feuling pump
D&D Fat Cats
TMAT
3.37 gear
Pro Clutch

Resentment is like taking poison yourself...and then waiting for the other person to die.

jkeenan213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Stashu11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
This is a picture of my 04 Low Rider with forward controls. The engine guard mounts on the bottom with C clamps. I painted the clamps as it goes around the frame, so it's not as noticeable. Sorry, I don't know how to attach this picture without having to open it separately.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harley engine guard.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	39235  
Stashu11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
This is a picture of my 04 Low Rider with forward controls. The engine guard mounts on the bottom with C clamps. I painted the clamps as it goes around the frame, so it's not as noticeable. Sorry, I don't know how to attach this picture without having to open it separately.

Stan
Thank you Stan, that pic is perfect. I'll take that to the dealer and show them it can be done.

HP 100
TQ 103
SE A/C
BUB/Rinehart
SE heads
SE 95" kit
S&S 510G Cams
Billet Oil Cooler
Vietnam Vet
Life member DAV
ALR Post 6 Director
Old 02-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMaverick
Thank you Stan, that pic is perfect. I'll take that to the dealer and show them it can be done.
Just a suggestion but you might want to order part from one of dealers online like Zanottis or others and save some scratch. That is unless your dealer offers atleast 20% off list. A lot of folks here will agree.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick28
Just a suggestion but you might want to order part from one of dealers online like Zanottis or others and save some scratch. That is unless your dealer offers atleast 20% off list. A lot of folks here will agree.
I just bought one online with a nice discount, new OEM part from a HD dealer where it is cold and they need business. So I'm on my way to the conversion.
I took your pic and showed the mechanics at the Harley dealer. One of them remembered putting this set-up on a Low Rider about a year or so ago and even looked up the old service record showing the same part number. They call it the 'Wide Glide' engine guard but it's all as stated and will work of course, thanks to you guys.
I think I will go ahead and get the Harley forward controls unless someone has a reason to go a different way.

HP 100
TQ 103
SE A/C
BUB/Rinehart
SE heads
SE 95" kit
S&S 510G Cams
Billet Oil Cooler
Vietnam Vet
Life member DAV
ALR Post 6 Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.