Conceal Carry encounters with Law Enforcement : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > The Gun Locker
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
VIP
Premium Member

VIP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Conceal Carry encounters with Law Enforcement

I am going to get my conceal carry permit in a couple weeks and I have been reading the ohio ccw forum and others.

It seems like Ohio reluctantly passed a CCW law last year because it really is not a conceal carry if you are in a motor vehicle.

In a vehicle the gun has to be on you and in plain site or locked up if loaded.
Out of the vehicle the gun may be concealed.

Which makes for some extra gun handling if you want to get out of the car and go in someplace that allows conceal carry.

Really difficult on a motorcycle because the law does not mention motorcycles, so being a motorized vehicle, the gun has to be on you, in plain site while riding, which will get you arrested for inducing panic or just arrested because some policeman don't understand the laws either, according to some encounters I read about.

The lawmakers have a couple bills before them right now that may fix some of the issues in Ohio.

So who's packin and have you had any legal encounters with law enforcement and did they understand the rules in your state?

Especially interested in Ohio Warren County encounters, if any..Thanks
VIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SYCLONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've run the motorcycle thing past a couple of copper friends of mine..."motor vehicle" " holstered in plain sight"... they said they never really thought about motorcycles and CCW. Both advised me not to carry in plain sight while on the bike. They said to carry concealed....under t-shirt or jacket. If stopped for a traffic infraction..then expose the weapon immediately and inform the officer of your CCW permit and that your weapon is "holstered in plain sight..what would you like me to do? ". They explained that when running a traffic stop on a cager with a permit...the weapon would not be visible until they were standing at the drivers door anyway. They will know you have the permit when they run your plates before the stop...If not carrying ...they would like to be informed of that also. Both said they feel MORE comfortable stopping a permit holder than just MR.Citizen..whom they know nothing about....at least us CCW holders have passed the BCI background checks..and are ok'd by the county sherif's office.
SYCLONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

LE PEW wants to know Dino or Syn?
I plead the MadCity ammendment ........."Gun? I dont have a gun!"
LE PEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, hopefully Ohio will eventually pass from their "the sky is falling" phase into reality.
Indiana has had CCW forever with the only restriction being "not valid on commercial aircraft" and we haven't slaughtered many more widows and orphans than most other civilized states...

And Cyclone, your buddies are gonna get somebody hurt or worse. The minute you exposed a gun when I pulled you over you'd be seeing mine. And you wouldn't have to ask me what to do, I'd be telling you very plainly.

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Restless

timbo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here in TN when we run you on the MDT (computer) on a traffic stop it will show whether you are or are not holding a valid CC permit along with any criminal or traffic offense history. I judge my approach and encounters in various ways depending on the subject. As long as they stay in their vehicle and their permit is valid with no criminal history I'm still cautious but don't make the fact that they have a CC an issue. On the other hand if they must exit the vehicle for me to do a search, sobriety check or any other reason I will always pat them down, remove the weapon, secure it for my protection and most people don't have a problem with it.

Here in TN, it's recommended that concealed means concealed and for many good reasons. It's not the law but if you keep it covered and you have no trouble at all. As a citizen, you want the element of surprise anyways. The unintentional display of a weapon will cause some people to want to phone the police, some idiots to make comments and want to challenge you etc. You get the idea.

Last edited by timbo; 02-28-2006 at 09:28 AM.
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Camera108 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quoted.....stopped for a traffic infraction..then expose the weapon immediately and inform the officer of your CCW permit and that your weapon is "holstered in plain sight..what would you like me to do? ".

Human nature as it is, if I were stopped, I would NEVER then expose the weapon. It reads to the officer, Hey-I just readied my weapon. I would explain to the officer as soon as they approached. If they want you to expose it then, go ahead at the direction of the officer. It shows commitment to both your safety.

There could be problems legally with this, but it may save your life if the officer feel threatened by you exposing your weapon after they stop you. My feeling is that if the officer wanted to be a pr--k and give a bad write, it would be the same person who shot you for "reaching for your weapon" during the stop. Most decent officers are going to understand your concern for public and his/her safety while concealing your legal weapon.

Just my thoughts. Any LEO feedback here???
Old 02-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
04 Ultra

Rocker wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am curious about the law in Washington State. I have had a concealed permit for 30 years. As I tend to be a lead foot I have been pulled over several times while having a CC permit. The officers have never asked me about having a weapon with me. Does the permit show when they run my plates? How would I find the CC permit law for Washington so I can read it? Finally, how do you carry a weapon on a motorcycle when you are riding in another state, gun in one bag ammo in another?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
XLIII

Depends on the state whether they know or not.
In a car at night here, interior lights ON, engine OFF and hands in plain view on the steering wheel is a good idea.
On a bike, engine off and hands on the grips in plain view.
Don't really know what to tell you about Ohio w/ their dippy law, though...
And tell the officer when he comes up so he doesn't see it on his own first when you're reaching for registration, etc.
Saves getting a Glock in the ear.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I was recently reading the Delaware Concealed carry law and as I understand it concealed means concealed. You have to keep it concealed. If for instance you carry in a shoulder holster you can not wear a a coat unziped or in any way that the firearm can be seen. Now if you don't have a permit that is where in Delaware the law says it must be in plain site, unloaded and with the ammo in the trunk or somewhere where it cannot be accessed from inside the car. The gun does not however have to be carried in the passenger compartment. It is ok to carry the gun out of site in the trunk or elsewhere as long as you can't get to it from inside the vehicle. Transporting a weapon this way is not considered concealed. If stopped by an officer though I would let him know it is there if he asks or wants to search the vehicle.
utrvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

David III wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here in MO, the firearm absolutely must be concealed (unless one happens to be in a part of the state where open carry is legal, but it will sure cause police calls...). If the firearm is shown at all, it can be considered "brandishing," which isn't a bit fun. If a firearm is visible, there must be a reason having to do with protection of life, etc.
I carry concealed on my person while riding, or the firearm is locked in a saddlebag. Law enforcement knows about the CCW when they run my plate.
In any case, I keep my hands up and visible and listen to the officer's instructions. If he/she wants my firearm, that's fine and I can turn around to give access to the holster. There is no way -- NO WAY -- I want to show that gun, because I don't want to get shot.
Ohio, carry it on you concealed or carry it in your saddlebag or whatever. You can always discuss how to carry after you're stopped. Hard to discuss anything if you get shot.
Just my 2 cents worth...
David III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
XLIII

If it's legally in the trunk, it's noboby's business.
The answer to consent to search is "No".

Old 02-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

immo wants to know Dino or Syn?
The last time I got pulled over, I placed both hands on the wheel, told the officer when he walked up to the window, before he said anything, told him I had my pistol with me and I did not want to get shot or dragged out of the car. He politely told me to sit still until he could get his partner to get it from my console. He thanked me and told me it was a good thing I told him about it before he found it and he also didn't want me to reach for it or try to hand it to him(duh!!). He then asked for my permit, checked to make sure the gun wasn't stolen and sent me on my way. I think he forgot about the tag light out. Still kinda scary to see how nervous he was when I told him.
immo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

HDtwice wants to know Dino or Syn?
A little common sense goes a long way. As the officer approaches don't YELL out; Officer, I have gun!, Just wait until you are in normal speaking distance and inform the officer in a calm voice that you have a concealed carry permit and are carrying a firearm, all the while keeping your hand on the wheel/handlebars and not moving. LEOs will tell you what to do next. The common sense part is not make the officer nervous. Important safety tip there kids.

You can go far, on a FXR
HDtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Finally

Strick28 wants to know Dino or Syn?
In Texas it is concealed and they mean concealed. For traffic stops it's

Keep your hands in plain sight
Cooperate fully with the police officer
If you have a gun with you, tell the officer as soon as possible
Don't make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon
At night, turn on your vehicle's dome light

When ask for your DL give them your DL an CHL. Of course as stated above they already know from your plate that the owner of the vehicle is licensed to carry but the owner may not be driving. The couple of times I have been stopped the only question I was asked is "Are you carrying at this moment?"
I say "Yes Sir" and that has been the extent of it. Of course then I got a citation or a warning for what they stopped me for...
Strick28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Ironrdr wants to know Dino or Syn?
As it's illegal to even think about handguns here in Jersey my only experience is out of state. I can tell you that a friend of mine has a permit to carry in PA. I've been with him when he's been uhhh in the wrong and pulled over.

Officer approaches vehicle, asks for DL/Insurance/Registration, friend hands officer CC permit on top of other paperwork. Officer askes where it's at, friend points, officer says thanks. Take warning/ticket and we're on our way.

There's no need to show prior to him asking, as I believe that would be a threatening jesture. At least if I were an officer of the law, that's how I would see it.

darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement