Carry Reciprocity - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion > The Gun Locker
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Lefty is still riding a stock bike Lefty is still riding a stock bike Lefty is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Bingo. If we followed the Constitution we wouldn't even be having this conversation. As far as that goes, if we followed the Constitution a majority of the problems we face would disappear or shrink.

Isn't MO permitless because a law was recently passed? If so, y'all are still at the mercy of poiticians who can change with the wind again, at any time...

Which is exactly what I think of a national reciprocity law. It's a poor substitute for the 2nd amendment.

joe
Yes, while Mo has had concealed carry by permit for years, no permit carry went into effect on 1/1/17. I plan to keep my permit updated (permits will still be offered at the local sheriff's departments) because to benefit from states that recognize MO's permit, I need to have the MO permit.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

FishinFather wants to know Dino or Syn?
Long overdue. Stuff like states restricting the 2nd Amendment never should have got as far as they did... Supreme court should have tossed those laws long ago. But then again, our government isn't following the rules established in our Constitution anymore anyway...
FishinFather is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this? dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Seems to me as though there are two common hurdles when states consider reciprocity. Training and background checks.

I'm prior Military, so I did not have to do CCW training. That may not be an option in some states. Some states may require "more extensive" training than others - although I can't imagine what that means. Most of the CCW training I've read about is not much more than familiarization training.

Background checks are probably the real kicker. Some states require more comprehensive background checks than others - and that's probably what kills reciprocity in a lot of cases.

So is this an issue of all 50 states finding common ground with regard to CCW permits? Or is it a "national CCW" proposal?

If the Feds are issuing CCW permits, we can probably kiss gun trade shows goodbye and expect a much more tedious process for buying a firearm - I would think.
dirtybrain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Anybody can hit a full size human paper target that's 7 yards away...here in Misery it's like 7 out of 21 shots gets a qualified. It's the classroom knowledge that they want ya to know.....legal ramifications of pulling that piece out and firing it.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
'Toad'

Settertude is reading this now saying WTF is this?
As I said, I was interested to know what folks think.
I'm not sure what the answer is. For my personal convenience, I would like to not be concerned when entering other states. That said, I'm a simple constitutionalist and feel we already 'own' the right to carry anywhere the constitution holds sway.
I do not like the idea of the Feds overriding states' choices. Washington grabs power whenever possible. This is not a good thing because Washington is corrupt from top to bottom and very good at incrementalism. Open a crack and soon you have a crevice to swallow us all. There is more than one 'separation of powers' that the framers provided and states' rights is one.
I would like to see a new movement of state governors meeting on a regular basis and hashing out these things. 10th amendment, man. Good ****, but not leveraged.

"We are Groot"

When I talk like I think, people look at me funny and seldom respond.

Poser reunion 08/05/2016

2007 Road King
Some stuff the Indy did
So I can spank some poser
Settertude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Just Say'in............

DynaLow05 is reading this now saying WTF is this? DynaLow05 is reading this now saying WTF is this?

"Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state."
Big Sucker
Boss Bags
Mustang Solo
Chrome do dads

DynaLow05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

kevsett wants to know Dino or Syn?
Didn't we get the qualifying shots portion removed in recent years, even before permitless CCW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
Anybody can hit a full size human paper target that's 7 yards away...here in Misery it's like 7 out of 21 shots gets a qualified. It's the classroom knowledge that they want ya to know.....legal ramifications of pulling that piece out and firing it.
kevsett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsett View Post
Didn't we get the qualifying shots portion removed in recent years, even before permitless CCW?
Not sure....did we? Been a long time since I checked.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this? dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Just looked up VA:
The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1.Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2.Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4.Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6.Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7.Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8.Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9.Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

No applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 makes me laugh. Proof of competence?? Don't know if I would call it that.
dirtybrain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

kevsett wants to know Dino or Syn?
Losing hair and memory is not good.........MO still has a shooting requirement when going for the permit............20 rounds from either a revolver or a semi-auto.

Quote:
Not sure....did we? Been a long time since I checked.
kevsett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

TIMINATOR wants to know Dino or Syn?
The problem as I see it for a Federal carry act is the Dummocrats! Once there is a federal law, when the Dems have power, and they will have it again someday, is that they will pursue "common sense" restrictions that will then have effect in every state, and will pick at certain small reasons for restrictions. This is similar to "assault rifle", over 10 round mags, "gun free zones" and the like. Their method is if they can't get all guns banned, then just keep picking at the low hanging fruit, until the entire tree is gone. They WILL use that tactic on a federal level against the carry law.
For me, I will not go to, or spend any "mail order cash in any state that limits my 2nd amendment rights. I moved from Illinois to AZ because of the gun laws, and I thoroughly check my online and catalogue purchases to buy from 2nd amendment friendly states. Sometimes I can't purchase the brand of item I want, but I do my best to uphold my principals. I make my travel plans around avoiding the "Blue" states, because I won't buy fuel or food there.
I hope in my small way, I am helping those states go bankrupt so they won't be giving my tax dollars to support illegals and welfare cheats. I can't accomplish much by myself, but I try to influence others when possible, like on here. Just some food for thought for all. TIMINATOR

Modesty is a crutch for the incompetent!
TIMINATOR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

RabyTat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMINATOR View Post
The problem as I see it for a Federal carry act is the Dummocrats! Once there is a federal law, when the Dems have power, and they will have it again someday, is that they will pursue "common sense" restrictions that will then have effect in every state, and will pick at certain small reasons for restrictions. This is similar to "assault rifle", over 10 round mags, "gun free zones" and the like. Their method is if they can't get all guns banned, then just keep picking at the low hanging fruit, until the entire tree is gone. They WILL use that tactic on a federal level against the carry law.
For me, I will not go to, or spend any "mail order cash in any state that limits my 2nd amendment rights. I moved from Illinois to AZ because of the gun laws, and I thoroughly check my online and catalogue purchases to buy from 2nd amendment friendly states. Sometimes I can't purchase the brand of item I want, but I do my best to uphold my principals. I make my travel plans around avoiding the "Blue" states, because I won't buy fuel or food there.
I hope in my small way, I am helping those states go bankrupt so they won't be giving my tax dollars to support illegals and welfare cheats. I can't accomplish much by myself, but I try to influence others when possible, like on here. Just some food for thought for all. TIMINATOR
Actually, I think if we have create a law recognizing national reciprocity for concealed carry similar to the issuance of driving licenses under the rationale of full faith and credit of each state, then each state sets its own criteria outside of national control. If it is further stated that this is merely codifying the prevailing view of the 2nd Amendment as an individual right, it would be harder to undermine and the two would bolster each other for the future.
RabyTat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

TIMINATOR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Awesome!!!

Timinator

Modesty is a crutch for the incompetent!
TIMINATOR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

pb68slab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Anybody can hit a full size human paper target that's 7 yards away...

While holding the gun sideways???
Old 02-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
'Toad'

Settertude is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The Constitutional Carry Law passed in NH.
Done deal.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/sununu...y-bill-8252381

"We are Groot"

When I talk like I think, people look at me funny and seldom respond.

Poser reunion 08/05/2016

2007 Road King
Some stuff the Indy did
So I can spank some poser
Settertude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.