Assault weapons ban? Think about it - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > The Gun Locker
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Merc63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are you Americans allowed Full automatic assault rifles?

To me an assault rifle is a Ak47, scar, gali, famas, etc.. Military weapons..
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

No. The average Joe cannot have a fully automatic weapon.
I agree. That is my definition of an assault rifle.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Inspector 12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
Ownership of fully automatic assault rifles varies state to state. Some states like Arizona, Idaho, and I believe Nevada (based on the fact that you can rent full autos and shoot them there) do allow for private ownership of registered fully automatic weapons. Washington state does allow ownership of full autos but the qualifying characteristics are nearly impossible to meet.

I do not see the need for ownership of fully automatic weapons but do not oppose it either as they are seldom used in the commission of crimes or mass shootings. I do not feel the need to impose my decision not to own one as the only acceptable alternative.

As to assault rifles, if the examples you use "Ak47, scar, gali, famas, etc.. Military weapons." are fully automatic capable I would agree with the term assault rifle. To apply the term to a semi automatic only rifle that has similar visual characteristics is not accurate in my opinion, they simply do not function the same (and yes I did read the article with an open mind). In fact the author of the article uses the same illustration I would offer with his use of the Ruger 10/22 under the his description of stock manipulation. In his illustration he shows a ruger 10/22 with a modern stock with a different style of hand grip and a box stock version. The function of both versions is identical, the appearance of the rifles is the primary difference. I have purchased guns I was interested in while allowing others exercise the same freedom. If you don't want one, don't buy one but don't try to force your opinion of appearance as preferable to my opinion of function. The second amendment has never been about citizens possessing arms for hunting and other uses, it is about the citizens being equipped to withstand efforts of a tyrannical government to suppress their freedoms.

I am concerned that the longer Sandy Hook plays out, the efforts of our present administration, gun control advocates and main stream media trying to capitalize on it as an opportunity to manipulate the details will become even more apparent. The news related to the role of the Bushmaster rifle at Sandy Hook is a good example in that initial reports ranged from it was found in the car to it was used at the school. This week reports are trickling in that the primary weapons used in the school were handguns and the rifle was in the car as initially reported. The only folks that know the truth for now are the survivors and initial responders and the public at large are content to make decisions based on mis-information spewed forth by the media.

06 Street Bob, SE 120R, VH Propipe HO, SERT, 139.92 hp, 133.70 tq.
Inspector 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
Actually the "average joe" can have a fully automatic firearm.

Any Full auto firearm on either a BATFE Form 3 or BATFE Form 4 that is transferable can be owned by ANYONE that can pass a thorough background check AND can fill out the paperwork correctly AND afford to buy one. It can take 6 months for the transfer to go through if all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. 1 mistake and they will kick it back and make you start all over.

The bottom line is if you are squeeky clean and get the paperwork correct, you can take possession of a full auto firearm.

Here are some examples of what the average joe can buy.

http://www.nfasales.com/machineguns.htm

http://firearmdeals.com/machineguns

http://www.impactguns.com/machine-guns.aspx

http://www.autoweapons.com/products/products.html
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
Actually the "average joe" can have a fully automatic firearm.

Any Full auto firearm on either a BATFE Form 3 or BATFE Form 4 that is transferable can be owned by ANYONE that can pass a thorough background check AND can fill out the paperwork correctly AND afford to buy one. It can take 6 months for the transfer to go through if all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. 1 mistake and they will kick it back and make you start all over.

The bottom line is if you are squeeky clean and get the paperwork correct, you can take possession of a full auto firearm.

Here are some examples of what the average joe can buy.

http://www.nfasales.com/machineguns.htm

http://firearmdeals.com/machineguns

http://www.impactguns.com/machine-guns.aspx

http://www.autoweapons.com/products/products.html
And all this time I thought fully automatic was illegal. I've never tried to buy one.
Thanks for the heads up.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
why do civilians need assault rifles?.....i cant figure that out....my 7.62 mauser has 8 rounds and i think thats good for home protection.
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

We have rifles that look like fully auto assault rifles in Canada, but they are semi auto and have a 6-8 round clip max I believe. I can't see nothing wrong with that.. Its a glorified hunting rifle.

Average joes doesn't need a full auto 30 round clip AK for protection...That's what I thought they were banning this whole time.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

I was told at my firearms exam that there is full auto prohibited weapons in Canada, you cant purchase them anymore, they were banned years ago.

But if say your Pops had one, he could give it to you"grandfather" and you will be eligible for a prohibited license if everything else checks out.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1500 View Post
why do civilians need assault rifles?.....i cant figure that out....my 7.62 mauser has 8 rounds and i think thats good for home protection.
The term assault rifle is misleading at best. If I attack you with a pen then I have and assault pen. If I don't attack you with a rifle then I don't have an assault rifle.

Why do civilians NEED any rifle? We don't NEED it. Just like I don't NEED chocolate cake however I like Chocolate cake and since I am a law abiding citizen why can't I have it? What I don't NEED is someone deciding for me what I like and NEED.

Why can't I like to just go out and have FUN?

300 people were shot last year with rifles. That includes hunting accidents and people shooting themselves because they aren't qualified to own and clean a gun properly. Idiots will be idiots no mater what.

If 300 people died in cars last year that would be a FANTASTIC year. If 300 died of the FLU last year that would be AMAZING. If 300 people died last year from SIDS, no one would even think twice about it. If 300 people died last year for anything else it would be considers a ridiculously low percentage of the American people that no one would even question it. 300 people is 1 in a MILLION. Is that a reason to ban rifles from LAW ABIDING CITIZENS? Becuase the laws will only effect the LAW ABIDING CITIZENS and will have ZERO effect on the criminals. Actually it will have a more profound effect on the criminals because they can be more certain that LESS people will be able to defend themselves.
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Springer,
be careful with that hot brass.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

scottq60 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1500 View Post
SERIOUSLY??? Have you NOT been paying attention???

The SECOND AMENDMENT was written so that WE THE PEOPLE have the ability to resist the efforts of a tyrannical government (should the need ever arise) to the BEST of our ability. That means that since the government has weapons with 30+ rd magazines, that WE should be allowed to have the same. And don't start with the whole "nukes, tanks, and RPGs" argument. While surplus tanks MAY be available to "civilians"...nukes and RPG's are not (that I'm aware of), and I'm NOT suggesting they should be. But the whole "why do civilians need that?" statement is IGNORANT at best. I suppose you'd be happy if we were reduced to 5-shot revolvers, yes?

Following your logic...why does anyone NEED a vehicle that will easily exceed the speed limit??? Do you not own anything that you don't really "NEED"???

scottq60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

FLSTFI Dave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well said Scott. There would be no USA if the citizens did not have guns equivalent to what the British government had.

The 2nd Amendment is so we can defend ourself against a tyrannical government.

13 CVO Road King Anniversary, #162
12 CVO Road Glide, White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black
03 FLSTFI Silver and Black, now has real fire radical paint set. 95", S&S 570G cams, V&H Big Shot Longs
11 FLHX Street Glide, Purple and black, wifes ride
09 FLSTC Heritage Teal and Antique White, wifes ride
FLSTFI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
FNG :)

Albow wants to know Dino or Syn?
Controversy on assault rifles high capacity mags for hunting.
by Albow
They say there's no place for assault rifles with high capacity magazines for hunting. Joe Biden said "if you shoot 12 to 30 rounds at a deer and can't hit it you shouldn't have a gun" and "If you shoot 30 rds at a deer there won't be much left to eat" Well they seem to forget that you don't HAVE to fire all 30 rds at a deer! and you don't have to load 30 rds in a 30 rd clip! you can put 1rd-2rds-3rds 4 or -5-or 10rds in a 30 rd mag.
And theres more to hunt then deer! what about black bear were that 30 rds might come in handy? if wounded or with cubs a bear can be a killer in a quick hurry! Black bear kill more people in the U.S then any kind of bear!
The AK47- 7.62x39mm is a round that will bring down a black bear. Not my frist choice for hunting bear, but will do the job. Now the AR15 with the 223 rd I would not go bear hunting with. But bear of all kinds have fallen to this rd also.
And then we have Coyotes. I have seen 15-20 in a pack bring down cattle, deer, etc. now 30 rds would come in to play for 20 or more coyotes that are killing your cattle! Then we have Wolves, same thing but can kill you just as quick!
What about wild hogs? They have done more damage to farmers and ranchers and are taking over in record numbers all over the U.S. and can be very dangerous some being over 200 lbs with razor sharp tusks that can rip a man to pieces! 30 rds would be nice to have for this kind of hunting.
So you have just a few hunting situations where high capacity magazines and a fast shooting rifle would be a no brainer and a must in my book!
Albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Totenkopf is reading this now saying WTF is this?
YB, thanks for posting that link. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that analysis.

From my own experience, when I go out to prairie dog shoot, I have used my AR at times, just for fun. I was keenly aware of the perception of using black rifle for sport though. Typically I use a bolt or single shot rifle on p-pups for better long range accuracy. But, in my mind, there is nothing wrong with using a black rifle for varminting, where it makes sense.

What is being offered up for legislation by Feinstein is just plain stupid! Further reinforcing my belief of just how dumb some of our lawmakers are and why we are in so much trouble, financial and otherwise. Feinstein, Boxer and Pelosi combined together are an amazing combination and portray perfectly what the intellectually challenged are and would be the modern female version of the Three Stooges.

Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ok..calm down and pay attention!....All things equal...in a non tyrannical govt...the govt is in the position to be the right and correct article to restrict anarchy and keep the country from becoming a pile of sht like a bunch of....well you know what countries...you ride with billy the kid or the calvalry?
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.