how to find out if a gun is stolen b-4 buying : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > The Gun Locker
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

11963 wants to know Dino or Syn?
how to find out if a gun is stolen b-4 buying

any one know of a venue to determne a clean title without using a dealer ?
Have a chance to buy an estate from the widdow ,,,she knows nothing about the collection and I don't want to get into hot water over any bad guns as this is an all or nothing deal and I'd like to sell some later!
thanx ride hard cb
11963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turgid member

rgraham wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just buy them. Is she going to tell the authorities or something? I'm sure they are all "relics" anyway. Right?
rgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Night Train Darkness

Misterb wants to know Dino or Syn?
I traded in a gun just this week on a new gun at the gun shop. Took them like 2 seconds to jot down the serial number on a form and then apply the money towards the new gun. They didn't run a check on it, or anything. Not really sure that they can? I know we'd all like to think the police and the powers that be are on top of this stuff and tracking it, but I really wonder.

Seems unlikely that a widow would be in posession of stolen guns, and seems even less likely that anybody would know or even care if they were, but I suppose I could be wrong...
Misterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Turgid member

rgraham wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oh, BTW, I live very near some hick town that does wine(aka mondaviland) calif, and if you are not interested in picking these up, please let me know.
Thanks.
rgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
The police can tell you in about 10 seconds if a gun has been reported stolen or not. I've called them before buying a couple of times. All you need is the serial number and the caliber. If you're going to call them though, make sure you call before you buy. If it turns out hot, they will be asking questions.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

w.d.b.,,,thats what I was wondering (about the ???) if any are hot I don,t want 2 get her in hot h20 over this ,,but I'd like to sell some laterand I don't want jonny law lookin at me! thanx cb
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

rgrahm ,,,Ill undoubtedly snag em,,,but I'll remember that/ thanx cb
Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
How many people even know the serial# of their guns to tell the police if they get stolen. The chances of them being stolen in an estate sale are slim.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

toybox99615 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Internet

If I was calling to check a serial number I'd be saying you found the listing on the net some place. While EBAY does not allow firearms there are a few place that conduct online auctions for municipal sales of lost or confiscated fire arms. They take the bid and then you have to deal with a bunch of paperwork when you actually win and go to get them.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought a slightly used gun at a gun show once. But before I bought it I jotted down the S/N, stepped over to the Sheriff at the door that was checking for unloaded weapons upon entry and kindly asked if he would run the number for me. He ran the numbers within a minute or less it came back not reported stolen. He told me I can't tell you if its stolen or not, but I can tell that its not been reported stolen.

I'd but them in a heartbeat if the price was right. As long as I had a receipt with all of the S/N's listed and signed by the seller I'd be satisfied.

"Significant problems cannot be resolved with the same level of intelligence that created them"

"My Glock is my American Express, I never leave home without it"
2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

chuckfw wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a friend that told me about the super cheap price he paid to buy a revolver. I told him that it may have been stolen, I could have a friend of mine run it through the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) if he wanted. He did, I did, and it came back stolen. He turned it over to the police so the original owner could get his gun back and it could be taken out of the NCIC computer. He was out the money, but he learned a lesson..... a really good deal from someone may not be such a deal after all.

You never see a Harley Ultra parked outside a psychiatrist's office!
chuckfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement