V-Twin Forum banner

Motorcycle parking at LAX

12K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Dragan 
#1 ·
I read on LAX's official website that motorcycle parking is free in the central parking terminal (there are some related rules and regs.). Has anyone ever left their mc there for more than a few hours (like, for a week)? I've made a reservation to leave the bike at an indoor lot close to LAX but would consider using LAX's terminal if I knew it was 'secure' and no one was going to f**k with my ride (under its cover and with the security system on).

#3 ·
It's a little strange because the regs. say there isn't a designated place. It says you CAN'T park in any spot meant for a 4 wheel vehicle, but you CAN park at ends of rows or anywhere you can fit as long as you don't block a doorway, roadway, etc.

#4 ·
I dunno if I'd park a bike at LAX for an extended period of time. It would probably be okay, but there's an awful lot of foot traffic there and not nearly as much security as you'd think. Me, I'd probably park mine over at Wally Park around the corner. I fly out of LAX on business almost every week and I always use Wally Park, which is why I recommend them. I've only left my car with them but I'd be 100% confident leaving my bike too -- I just wouldn't valet park the bike. ;)

#7 ·
Ok Ok Ok

The overwhelming response has been that the idea of leaving a bike at LAX is BA-A-A-D so I'll be parking it indoors at a lot and taking their shuttle. But you guys gotta appreciate, I live in a place where we don't even lock our doors in the daytime and we say 'Hello' when we pass people on the street (can you spell R-U-B-E ? ) :harhar:

#8 ·
Some of you will cringe at this suggestion.

Do you have motorcycle insurance in case it is stolen or damaged? If yes, then let your insurance carrier worry about it. That is why we pay high rates!

Why not enjoy your ride? Where ever you park there is always a danger...even when parked in your driveway at home. I would say that parking overnight on the street would probably guarantee theft but at a parking garage, I would say it is safer. You are using an alarm system and the bike is going to be under a cover right?

Just make sure your insurance is paid!

:chopper:

#12 ·
ramse said:
Some of you will cringe at this suggestion.

Do you have motorcycle insurance in case it is stolen or damaged? If yes, then let your insurance carrier worry about it. That is why we pay high rates!

Why not enjoy your ride? Where ever you park there is always a danger...even when parked in your driveway at home. I would say that parking overnight on the street would probably guarantee theft but at a parking garage, I would say it is safer. You are using an alarm system and the bike is going to be under a cover right?

Just make sure your insurance is paid!

:chopper:

Yeah, real bright idea. :duh?:

First thing the insurance company will do is pull out the KBB book. They will then cut a check for the book value only. Forget about all the stuff he added on after. Forget about the time and effort he put into making the bike "his".

My god, man, we are talking about the man's Harley, not a screwdriver! It has a value you can't see.

Many of us feel that an a Harley is an extension of who we are. It is a part of us. It is not just a means of transportation.

Like the old saying goes, "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand"

#13 ·
Yeah, You're right...
But while riding those little voices are always going what about this way or doing something that way on the next Harley or that guy did that right,wished I'da thought of that, What about that Cam and Exhaust combination?

#15 ·
elcanaco

elcanaco said:
I read on LAX's official website that motorcycle parking is free in the central parking terminal (there are some related rules and regs.). Has anyone ever left their mc there for more than a few hours (like, for a week)? I've made a reservation to leave the bike at an indoor lot close to LAX but would consider using LAX's terminal if I knew it was 'secure' and no one was going to f**k with my ride (under its cover and with the security system on).
I don't live too far from there. But you know, come to think of it, there is plenty of security. Probabily more then any other place around. And since you have an alarm and a cover, I seriously don't think any one would mess with it. Maybe call up TSI and ask them how well the terminal garages are covered by security. Hope it all works out for you.

#16 ·
I guess I don't understand the problem. Here in Cowthump, if we gotta park at the landing strip, why you just find a place where the planes won't blow it over when they land. The onliest reason someone might move it is if the cows gotta graze there.

:Banadance

#17 ·
Roadie said:
I don't live too far from there. But you know, come to think of it, there is plenty of security. Probabily more then any other place around. And since you have an alarm and a cover, I seriously don't think any one would mess with it. Maybe call up TSI and ask them how well the terminal garages are covered by security. Hope it all works out for you.
Warning: Thread Drift

Ask TSA about security? Bwaaaahahahahahaha! :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

The only thing you can count on those clowns to do is confiscate your half-empty tube of toothpaste after you've been through five other checkpoints that let it through. TSA is a joke.

#20 ·
parking at the airport

I work at an international airport, and the following applies at any of them, in general terms.
-airports have the highest levels of Police presence outside of Police headquarters. Federal legislation makes an airport incredibly "Cop-Heavy".
-the only industry that uses more video surveillance than the aviation industry is the gaming industry, specifically Las Vegas and Atlantic City.
-airports generally have the largest concetration of people in one place at any given time than any other place in your community.
-parking areas are always high traffic areas, due to the above point.
-5% of the population have a criminal record
Simple math says that an airport like LAX, with an employee population of about 50,000, and passenger traffic of about 150,000 passengers per day, you have about 10,000 people in and around the airport every day with a criminal background.

BUT...you have cops and cameras everywhere. With the exception of washrooms, every major airport in North America has the ability to monitor every square inch of the terminal complex and parking facilities 24/7, either electronically or with feet on the ground. In every airport that I can think of, the electronic monitoring is also continuously recorded and retained.

I park my bike in the parking facility at the terminal every day that I ride. My parking stall is right next to one of the heaviest use access points into the facility. I have never had even so much as a fingerprint left on the tank. I've been through the LAX security system control center, and personally, I wouldn't hesitate to leave my bike parked there at any time. The off-site parking would concern me more; I know they have good security overall, but nothing like the levels right at the airport.

Just another take on the issue...from the inside looking out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.