A Motorcycle Wasn't Designed For Interstate Travel? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 104
Dispatcher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question A Motorcycle Wasn't Designed For Interstate Travel?

Is it a misconception or is it a fact that motorcycles were never designed or intended to be used for interstate travel, regardless of the fact that people do it anyway?

I bring this subject up due to the grief people get from so-called 'hardcore' riders who complain about other people who trailer their bikes instead of riding them to and from their destinations.
Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur
 
cwilks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Lou
Posts: 4,048
cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Is this Curvecarver?
__________________
"There were no fuks given during the posting of this response"
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
self banned
 
Road King Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 5,992
Road King Cole is still riding a stock bike Road King Cole is still riding a stock bike Road King Cole is still riding a stock bike
Great question.


No I don't think it's curvecarver. There was no bragging about himself.

rkc


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

2001 FLHR (carb) w 95" 26g cam and a head job.
2016 Ride of the Year Winner!
"enjoy every sandwich" - W Zevon
Road King Cole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Motorhead
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: V-Twin Forum Elite
Posts: 14,752
Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
Is it a misconception or is it a fact that motorcycles were never designed or intended to be used for interstate travel, regardless of the fact that people do it anyway?

I bring this subject up due to the grief people get from so-called 'hardcore' riders who complain about other people who trailer their bikes instead of riding them to and from their destinations.
Who said that Motorcycles aren't designed for use on the interstate? You got a link to something or is just something you were thinking about?

As for the trailer thing, it's a free country, people can trailer or not trailer. And people can voice their opinion of using a trailer as well as the people who do it.

It's really not that big of a deal, except........When they pose as someone who rides the scooter to get where they are going.
__________________
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt
 
filterless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 1,860
filterless is reading this now saying WTF is this?
obviously todays big twins are up for the task, a '36 knuckle maybe not...
but some folks did it anyway.

it's the rider not the bike.
__________________
filterless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Misters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kelso, Washington
Posts: 904
Misters wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pounding the interstate trying to stay with idiots/traffic SUCKS...that is not why I ride.
__________________
https://youtu.be/gQ1D_1A9ds4
Misters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Motorhead
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: V-Twin Forum Elite
Posts: 14,752
Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misters View Post
Pounding the interstate trying to stay with idiots/traffic SUCKS...that is not why I ride.
If I am going to meet people or to an event that is like 6-800 miles away, I'd rather pound it out on the slab @80 and be done with it. Spend the saved time enjoying what ever it was I want to.

But if it's just a week on the scooter with no place to be at any given time, secondary roads are fine.

The old original US highways are nice, until they run through the middle of a big town or city.
__________________
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: FL
Posts: 246
jmelin wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you talk about "interstate travel", are you talking about travel between states or traveling on the interstate highway system? Motorcycles do both very well, however many motorcyclist don't like interstate highway travel when conducting interstate travel. As a matter of fact we don't care for interstate travel when we travel intrastate either.

What does either have to do with trailering a bike or trailering with a bike?
jmelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 104
Dispatcher wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm not Curvecarver who ever that is, I've been on here since 2008.

No links that I know of, we were sitting around a campfire discussing several biking subjects and ths came up so I figured I'd bring it up here and see what some opinions were on it.

We based the assumption of it not beng so due to the fatigue that we all know that sets in, in just a short 50 to 100 mile ride but traliering for anywhere near that amount of miles would be unrealistic, taken along with the observation of the general make up of a bike (a standard cruiser), in that its build was not meant to be on for long periods combined with loading the back seat of a motorcycle can cause improper weight distribution, wear and tear, and handling problems. the exception of course your big touring bikes which is not what we were referring to.

Remember, this is just an observation for some of us as a discussion subject.

And when I say interstate I mean across state lines or across the entire country.

Traveling cross country and trailering is to me more sensible for that far but some seem to think you are not a true biker if you trailer, personally I could care less what others think or say but I've seen some voice their opinions at events that have real nasty attitudes toward people who do so.

But don't get me wrong, trailering can be a real pain in the ass because of the expense and effort involved.

Last edited by Dispatcher; 03-08-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)
 
dynaduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sydney
Posts: 10
dynaduc wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just did a couple of 1100km days at 110km/h on a motorway interstate on my dyna. I think the bike loved it, my body...not so much. Windshield, comfy seat and a QUALITY face mask are on my list for the next one in October. Might take the back highways next time though.

No one had filthy attitudes towards anyone who didnt ride the distance. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Even if I was a bit sore after.
__________________
- Chris
'13 FXDC & '02 900SS
dynaduc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: lost but not found or dazed and confused
Posts: 5,983
tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this? tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Fatigue in 50-100 miles? You're joking, right?
tall terry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 104
Dispatcher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall terry View Post
Fatigue in 50-100 miles? You're joking, right?
Here we go...
No, I'm not joking, 100 miles non-stop on a standard cruiser is draining, that's a fact, I don't care who you are.
Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt
 
jammer45u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 3,687
jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this? jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
Here we go...
No, I'm not joking, 100 miles non-stop on a standard cruiser is draining, that's a fact, I don't care who you are.
That's about all my bladder will do anymore.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 104
Dispatcher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer45u View Post
That's about all my bladder will do anymore.
lol...
Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
'Toad'
 
Settertude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 11,883
Settertude is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
Here we go...
No, I'm not joking, 100 miles non-stop on a standard cruiser is draining, that's a fact, I don't care who you are.
Just what do you mean when you say draining.

I've seen where an all day ride on the slab is tiring for any number of reasons, but a couple hours is invigorating and leaves some folks wanting more.
Or put another way--a couple hours is just getting started.

A pee stop is to be expected.
__________________


"We are Groot"

When I talk like I think, people look at me funny and seldom respond.

Poser reunion 08/05/2016

2007 Road King
Some stuff the Indy did
So I can spank some poser
Settertude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Location
Where you live
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year
     
Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum